1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Separation and coping with life after

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by desimom19, Dec 26, 2014.

1. desimom19

desimom19 New IL'ite

Hello,

Currently going through a separation with my husband and finding it really hard to fit into the same group of friends. I'm left with a 3yr old son and I'm very concerned how to keep him entertained. He needs to interact with other kids and I'm unable to interact with the families we used to interact with earlier.

I'm not sure how to break the news that my husband and me are no longer together. I keep trying to find other Indian single moms in my neighborhood, but with no luck so far.

Any suggestions

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I have been a single mom for quite many years and below some of my coping tips:
    - get to know other families with children in same age, you can arrange play dates, sleep overs, baby sit each others children
    - build up a good network (family, friends) to support you (be also willing to "give back")
    - try to get the evening routines easy, do more on weekends (cook, clean house, laundry) to get some "me only" time every day
    - if possible have joint custody/plenty of visitation time so that the child can be with the other parent
    - do not care what the other people thinking of your "status", that is their problem
    - try to find other single parents, there may be also online forums
    - get the financials sorted out, child support and focus on getting a decent salary, try to save for emergencies and the future

2 people like this.
  3. desimom19

desimom19 New IL'ite

Thankyou for the practical response. I'm trying to find other single moms in the community. Just that I don't want the sympathy from my friends and colleagues around. Not sure if that can be avoided, guess just need to move on and stop worrying about what other people are thinking.

4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Do you live in US? (looked at the profile). I was actually in US when my divorce started, found a local group for divorced parents and made some really good friends there :)

5. desimom19

desimom19 New IL'ite

Yes, I live in the US and I'm also trying to find such local groups.