1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Regarding mangalsutra and engagement ring

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by panda2014, Dec 20, 2014.

1. panda2014

panda2014 Silver IL'ite

Dear IL

When a person is going through divorce the case may take some time to legally end...so since the process may drag for some years then is it okay if the wife still wears her mangalsutra and ring mainly to ward off unnecessary questions . I know there is no point in wearing it once the marriage is legally dissolved but till the dissolution of marriage is it okay to wear. Please share ur experiences .

2. panda2014

panda2014 Silver IL'ite

Almost a day got over no replies still:help

3. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

This what I have seen in my community....

Usually, drop the 'mangalsutra' (coin like stuff) into temple undi (drop box); the chain/rings will be exchanged as some other form of jewelery or cashed. Some continued to wear the same chain with a pendent attached as usual.

Don't be too sentimental. It's time to move on, life goes on.

4. panda2014

panda2014 Silver IL'ite

oh thank you for your viewpoint . Lets have others say also . Heard about jewellary being exchanged but do jewellers provide cash for the jewellary ????

5. lucky22

lucky22 Gold IL'ite

I have removed my mangalsutra and toe rings the day i decided to file for divorce. I didn't wear my engagement/wedding ring on a daily basis because it was really big(ara vanki -- its a traditional wedding ring presented by the groom's side) and i used to wear it during occasions. Anyways coming to the point about warding off questions, yes i used to get weird looks from a few people and that was only because of their over-enthusiasm regarding my personal life and my marital issues. I couldn't care less about those people since my close friends knew about my situation. This worked out well for me may be because i am in the US; yet i faced all kinds of questions from so called "well-wishers" while i was on a trip back home. Once my divorce was finalized, i exchanged the chain and the ring for something else. Mangalsutra and toe rings made its way into tirupathi hundi.

6. panda2014

panda2014 Silver IL'ite

Thank you lucky 22 for your reply . But my friend insists that she wears mangalsutra since here the husband is demanding divorce so may be she is still attached to him and secretly hopes that everything falls in to place . I just cant rudely ask her not to wear if she has hopes....so confused.

7. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

You cannot tell your freind what to do and when to do. Its her choice. Your job is to be a shoulder for her to cry on or a freind to laugh with.

1 person likes this.
  8. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Till the divorce degree is granted both are husband and wife and she has full right on her husband. She can wear it. I removed them after 2mons of filing divorce.

9. panda2014

panda2014 Silver IL'ite

Well said.

10. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

@panda2014
    You know what??
    You should give a flying Boeing-777 to those who comment about your marital status. (sorry for bordering near being obnoxious).
    Frankly why should we worry about those shibboleths who only sit and criticize?? did any one of 'em put any effort to save your marriage??
    If the answer is NO, then hon show it to 'em that you dont give a hoot to what they think.
    Albeit I'm sorry you've to go through the pain of separation, but remember everything happens for good and that there's always a storm before a rainbow.

Take care

Dinzz