1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with mangalsutra after divorce?

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by justice218, Sep 29, 2013.

1. justice218

justice218 Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ladies

As many of u know and if you have read my posts im on the path to getting a divorce. I am in the process of finalizing the papers after 3 very long years of court cases and unnecessary drama. Anyway, i have already asked about what to with things from the past in one of my previous posts. But, this particular post is about what to do with my mangalsutra. Is there any tradition/protocol to be followed in cases of divorce, i.e. break up the chain, or melt it etc?. I come from the reddy community. So any reddy ladies reading this, it would be nice to hear some suggestions.

Thank you.

2. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Whether I am reddy or not has nothing to with my suggestion.

After few years, you might want to find a good partner for yourself. So for your own interest, it is good idea to remove it. Have seen women from older generation still keeping it on them.

Did the judge give it to you as your property? If you got it, then you can melt it and make a new piece of jewelry that you like. You can sell it for cash. You can do whatever you want with it.

2 people like this.
  3. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

I have freely put tht two small sutras in temple hundi and the chain i got it melted.

2 people like this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I'm not from the reddy community. And I wonder if there would be a protocol for this at all. Since you are coming out of a horrible marriage, perhaps you could sell it and donate the money to some charity?

sindmani and sumanrathi like this.
  5. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

HI.
    Simply follow Ivlakshmi.

these are all we follow only to make us discipline in our life. When the person is no
    with you no need to hang the rule on your neck. Give that to God and pray don't give such a miserable life to me again. Melt the chain and change to bangle or something it should not hang on your neck again.
    You will get good guy as you wish very soon as I will pray for your happy life.
    be cool and relax.

sindmani, manu2009 and jillma like this.
  6. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

As far as I know, customs/traditions for removal of mangalsutra, bangles etc., .. are followed in case of 'death' and not divorce.

Do what ever pleases you and while doing so, treat it as a mere 'piece of gold' and nothing else.

7. queenie29

queenie29 Silver IL'ite

When there is nothing left in a relation, mere ornaments doesnt mean anything - the relation is 'dead' anyway.

In this case, its just another piece of jewellery..

I would agree with IVlakshmi.

sindmani and sumanrathi like this.
  8. Maddy2087

Maddy2087 Platinum IL'ite

I took it off just 2 weeks after leaving him. I knew that the relation was over and their was no need to hold on to unnecessary things . I have kept it in the locker and hardly it bothers me. It was my past a hard core reality so getting emotional for little things in life can spoil happiness and health.

9. justice218

justice218 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I think i will just melt it or exchange it for something else.

10. rvlakshmi

rvlakshmi Silver IL'ite

Dear,

It is only a metal if we don't wear. Dissolve and make some thing usefully, add little more old jewels and make it as you wish, when day passed you can't remember what you have done that.

sindmani likes this.