1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life better for divorced woman in USA

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by Unhappylady, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Unhappylady

Unhappylady New IL'ite

I have been reading IL for a while but this is my first post.I'm 25 years old & my sister is 29.
    My sister got divorced a year back 1 yr after marriage. It was an arranged marriage & there was absolutely no compatibility. She's been working & living here in India since a year but now she's fed up with the questions & comments by relatives & friends. She's likely to get a job in USA & wants to move there as she feels she can be alone there, away from everyone. But my parents want her to stay here..
    My question- Are divorced women in USA treated better than in India? Also at 29 years will she have a chance to meet someone & get remarried? (She doesnt want an arranged marriage again as she's too scared of it.

2. trialman45

trialman45 New IL'ite

of course you can get married. I dont understand why 29 years is considered old.
    look at matrimonial websites and pay attention to age groups of people. you will be convinced age is not an issue.
    Happiness is the issue. I am sure you will find lots of people.

1 person likes this.
  3. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shilpa,

Thats good decision to move to US with open minded ppl.

Her age is certainly not a limit to get remarried.

Let her move her, take sometime to forget past, she can meet ppl there and could marry of her choice there only.

2 people like this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I think divorced women are 'treated' infinitely better in the US. The divorce rate here is fairly high. People have become used to it. In general there is no discrimination. Single moms, teenage moms, people with joint custody, sole custody - nothing fazes anyone. For e.g. I have colleagues / acquaintances whose parents are divorced and remarried multiple times - which means that there are multiple half-siblings, all sharing Mum or Dad, with a different wife or husband. People are able to discuss this in a matter of fact way. No big deal.
    She can say 'I am divorced' (or not discuss it at all) without any of the 'shame' usually found in a traditional Indian milieu. If she does not want to discuss details, everyone will leave it be. People respect privacy. There won't be any probing. Dating would be easier as well. I see no downsides to the move.

8 people like this.
  5. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Ofcourse in US people don't bother much about personal life.. I am also 28 but to be honest not getting any one.. Most of the guys in office are either committed or married ..Life is tough.. Y dont u ask your sister to relocate to another city away from parents till say 1 year?Mean while she can search matches herself..My frnd had a love marriage but now she is divorced and heading for remarriage..nothing is idle if good or bad has to happen it will happen

6. Unhappylady

Unhappylady New IL'ite

Thanks everyone.. I should show my sister these posts.. My sister is good looking & is an extrovert & has no problem making friends.. But from the past 1 year she's changed a lot..She doesnt even come online.. Everyone at home are worried.. Plus I'm 25 & I'm worried about getting into an arranged marriage after seeing her case.. My sister too is scared is scared of an arranged match as the guy she got married to was a professional liar.. She hopes to meet someone nice.. I just hope her age & divorced status is not a problem..

1 person likes this.
  7. rose2000

rose2000 Silver IL'ite

Shilpa- Your sister is young and divorced with no -strings attached (meaning no kids). She has a better chance to get married again. Ask her not to rush immediately. Divorce is an emotional drain for your sister. Move is a good option.
    Reg moving to USA, i would agree with what Sokanasanah has said above in the American society. But Indian in US still beahve the same way as Indians in India behave. They look down upon you if you are divorcee..So don't expect a different treatment from Indians.

Good Luck to your sister

4 people like this.
  8. AlishaT

AlishaT Silver IL'ite

I second what Sokanasanah said without any questions asked.

USA is a free land and a country where human value (value of life/trust etc) is taken into very high consideration. Your sister will be very happy here. To be away from Indians will be hard as we are everywhere, but in the US she will learn how to hold her head up high and walk without being embarassed. Because like what Sokanasanah said, more people here are divorced and these ppl know how to deal with it better. Thats also because there is a higher value for humanity here.

Just dont venture out to lonely midwest areas like Kansas or Missourie etc n she shld be fine.. Either coasts or any coastal cities are great. Certain areas tend to be very isolated and it should not be explored especially by your sister who is in a more vulnerable state. All the best to your sister.. God bless her

1 person likes this.
  9. positivegal

positivegal Gold IL'ite

YES, Without a second thought

10. Unhappylady

Unhappylady New IL'ite

My sister will be moving towards NY/NJ area.. There are lot of Indians there I guess but also lot of people ie its more crowded So hopefully she doesnt feel that lonely.. My parents are worried about her staying alone in a foreign country but I just hope she meets someone nice & lives happily..