1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Indian Marriage(Hindu Act) - Divorce in USA - Validity in India for Remarriage

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by sugaz007, Oct 12, 2011.

1. sugaz007

sugaz007 New IL'ite

Could any one please explain as what types of divorces obtained in USA (marriage was in India under hindu marriage act) is VALID in India?

This is for purpose of remarriage.

The divorce decree issued in USA is NOT accepted in India for registration of remarriage.

Could anyone please provide information about what to do in this case.

Thanks
    Suga

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Did you check with the registrar in India?? if not how come you are so sure that its not valid.

If you already checked with the registrar in India, why not file another divorce case in India / submit the divorce decree to court in India .

3. anonymou

anonymou Silver IL'ite

If it is contested or mutual agreement, then it can be easily validated in India(talk to a lawyer in India).
    If it was ex-parte, your ex if he so wishes, can challange the decree in India, and you may not be able to remarry without a long drawn court battle with him(in case he is not ok with divorce decree)

4. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    My cousin got divorced..she did not go to US court, her ex was a US citizen. he sent papers to her in INdia and she has signed thoz and sent him to him..I guess this is called ex partee divorce..
    I dont think that it is needed for u to show the divorce degree later on to any one.. I mean u can get married and get ur marriage registered.. check out with good lawyer

5. USA2012

USA2012 New IL'ite

What if one doesn't want to remarry?

If the girl was married in India under Hindu sct, gets divorced in USA, can she show her divorce papers in India? Are they valid there?