Good OB&GYN in US and ROW

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sanravi_1970, Aug 9, 2007.

1. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Re: First pre-natal visit - Questions to ask

Hi Maha and others,

I forgot to ask about baby movements. Today I completed 19 weeks. I am yet to experience any baby movements. My doc said it will start from 19th or 20th week. I experience some movements in my tummy, but as its soo mild, I don't know if this is what is the baby's movement.

Have you started experiencing this yet? If so, when did it start for you?

Please share your experiences on this.

Thanks,
    Geetha

2. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Hi geetha,

I started experiencing the baby movements since last 2 weeks i think..It is mild, but yet new for us...I can feel some bumps (my mom would say that it will like a frog's jump at this time) ..Its something like that..I can feel when i lie down sideways or even when i am sitting..sometimes i feel like my heart is beating till my neck, dont know how to express, i think might be due to baby movements..The Dr. said these movements will increase as weeks pass by..So dont worry, for every person it is different, keep talking to ur baby, from this time ur baby can recognise the mom's voice..so keep communicating and sure baby will respond.. Just wait for wonders..:cheers

3. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Hi Maha,

Thinking of names is taking a lot of time these days for me. :)

Me and my husband have finally agreed on a couple of girl baby names but for boys names we are yet to arrive at even one mutually agreed name. As I have a feeling that it will be a girl, I thought I will think of boy baby names only after the scan confirms next week if its a girl or a boy.

I have gained about 11 pounds till now from the beginning of pregnancy. Doc says thats normal. I will know only in my next appointment about my current weight. How much have you gained?

Also, one of my friends said that to avoid stretch marks, we have to apply castor oil or any cream right from third month of pregnancy. She says that she doesn't have any stretch marks bcos of this. I have added this question to ask my doc. I want to know if I can use any over the counter cream. There are some available online but they are very pricey. I would like to know if they are safe and effective to use at this time.

4. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Dear geetha,

I have gained nearly 5 kgs (11 pounds) till now ...u can check this link for the break up of pregnancy weight gain..

Break up of pregnancy weight gain

Even i would like to know about the creams for stretchmarks, thought of posting as a separate thread,will ask others also..Since i am taking PregnaCare iron tablets i am thinking of buying pregnacare cream also after consulting the doctor,since i am beginning to get stretch marks..but didnt know abt applying from 3rd month itself, so i thought i can start from the next few daysbonkTill then i will manage with castor oil as u said..Pl do tell us after consulting ur doctor..

5. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi maha, geetha,

Congratulations to both of you and I do understand the feelings while seeing the baby moving. Its a wonderful experience. I have completed 30 weeks today and stepping into the 31st week. I still can recall the time when we saw the baby moving during the first scan which was at 13 weeks.
    I can now feel the baby movements a lot. Some days, he/she kicks me a lot :wow and somedays its not so much.
    My husband was long time looking for a heart beat doppler as he wanted very much to listen to the baby's heart beat. I always tell him I can feel this, I can feel that.
    So he has been like I want to listen to the baby.
    Here we checked out the prices and they were enormous, so I refrained from buying anything like that.
    So I ordered a heart beat doppler as a surprise gift for him from ebay and it arrived yesterday. It was so rejoicing to listen to the baby. and when the baby kicked, bang a big sound was heard :)
    We were happily smiling listening to it.
    During my 20 weeks, I just started feeling some cramps like sensation. But it was after 25 weeks I guess, I could feel the baby movements and from 27.-28 weeks, its much more stronger

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

For stretch marks

Maha, geetha,

Just wanted to add on that take care if using castor oil. Castor oil is no doubt a wonderful medicine for everything, but it is supposed to be having a cooling effect. So there are chances of catching cold or fever.
    Olive oil is the safe bet, as it also has the properties of controlling stretch marks. Do consult with your mom/MIL before using it.

7. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Re: For stretch marks

hi ptamil and geetha,

when i went through this forum i found one thing in common...most of them have mentioned abt cocoa butter cream for stretch marks..do u have any idea on that?..should we consult the doctor before using any cream?..as mine is a cold body i cannot risk with castor oil..

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  8. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Hi ptamil,

I really liked the surprise gift for ur hubby...but i dont know how to shop with ebay or be it any kind of online shopping..can u throw some light on this ?..if i visit i see the products are listed with bidding amounts...how is it actually done and how to purchase a product with ebay ( hope u dont mind deviating from the pregnancy topic )

9. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi maha,

Regarding your question for cocoa butter cream: I really dont know. It should be safe. However I would say you show it your midwife or doctor before using any cosmetics as some of them are categorized as not to be used during pregnancy.
    Olive oil, castor oil etc are herbal so no need to worry.

Regarding your question about online shopping: I have dropped a PM to you explaining the same

10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I really don't want to disappoint any of you but let me tell you that some of these things like stretch marks are genetic and it cannot be avoided.In my family,all the ladies have it and I too have it although I applied all sorts of creams.I have seen some of my friends who don't have even a single mark and that too without using any cream or oil.So,pls don't get upset if even after all these precautions,you do end up with stretch marks.