Post-Pregnancy Weight Management

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by Nila, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Re: Gym ?

Subha, my first postnatal visit was after 10 days and the 2nd one was in another 2 weeks following that. By the 2nd post natal visit my doc gave me the all clear sign for any exercise that I feel comfortable enough to do. So your best judge is your ob/gyn.

-L.

2. Aksimi

Aksimi New IL'ite

Re: Post-delivery tummy

Hi Amitha,

I am a mom of twin girls and had the same problem . Looking 7-8 months pregnant , 4 months post partum. Breastfeeding helps a lot. 6 months after postpoartum had an almost flat stomach ( externally), with wrinkled skin. Guess breast feeding helped me to loose weight.
    now at 10 months and the babies are supplemented with formula and looks like i have started gaining back. As per my experience, the key is exclusively breastfeed, then slowly start some exercise routines . My doc advised me not to exercise till 10 months postpartum, since I had bladder infection and pain around the incision ( even now when i indulge in some continuous chores).]
    My navl went in after 5 months, and its more like a depression than what it was before. since I had the C section and following complications, my nurse advised me against tying any band or cloth, tight around the stomach, instead strengthen the muscle by pulling the stomach in all the time.. its hard to remember and do it always, but definitely helps.

Cheers,
    Simi

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  3. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Thanks Nikky for the link. I have gone through that link already once. Nowadays the pain on the right-side of my stomach seems to be reducing. Let's see how it goes. But the vaginal bleeding (which is not very heavy) is still there. I am planning to come to India sometime very soon. I will consult my OB/GYN there and take full treatment.

Latha, thank you so much for your suggestions. I didn't learn any excercises from nurses in the hospital, so I am really not aware of anything. If possible can you please mention some of them here, so that I can try to do it.

And regarding my hemorrhoids, it has become an ON & OFF thing. I am planning to get treated for it in India, probably I will select some alternative medicine ... let's see.

Hey Simi, welcome to Indusladies. I see that this is your first post and am I not lucky, you replied to me first. Thank you so much for the reply. I am exclusively BFing my DS and even then I don't see much difference in my tummy. But I have lost more weight than what I had gained during my pregnancy. So can you imagine, I have become thin everywhere, only stomach is as it is. I feel pathetic about it. I just hate shopping for clothes for myself now, because I can't find anything that fits me well.

Regarding my naval, seems like I have hernia, because I have pain also around naval. But then that is just my diagnosis. I am going to consult some doctor in India for this.

Thank you ladies for all your support.

4. sindhup

sindhup New IL'ite

I have a 3 year old, and after my first delivery (c-section) I had the same problem as yours - looked very pregnant. It took me about a year and half to get to (almost) pre-pregnancy shape. I did not tie the saree since I was afraid to do it with the incision.

You can check with your doctor to see if you can do abdominal crunches - I have heard (my ob also said that) that that is the only way to get back to a flat belly. Try googling the phrase "abdominal exercises after c-section" and you will get the sites with pictures, instructions etc. You can also try the public library for books and videos. Just check with your ob before starting them because your muscles should have gone back to a certain level (no separation of the ab muscle) before you start doing them.

5. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Thanks Sindhu, I am not going to start doing anything now. I will start all treatments only after going to India. I don't have time here, with two kids on-hand :).

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hello ladies,

These are the exercises my physiotherapist taught me. I hope i am able to explain clearly. But please also note that the tummy takes its time to go in completely so have patience. It also depends on individual's skin elasticity so don't loose heart comparing yourself with someone. I would also like to say that my belly button is not the same as it was before i became a mom.

Lying down on your back. Bend your knees and spread your legs apart such that your body is balanced straight. Rest your feet flat on the surface. Now tighten your po (bum). Next tighten your tummy by sucking in your belly button towards your back. You will by mistake tighten your rib the first couple of times but with practice will get it right. Feel with your hands on the belly button to make sure you are tightening only the tummy muscles. Remember to breathe normally. Hold on for 10 counts and then relax both tummy and po. This you can do through out the day even when standing. Remember to spread your legs apart.

Now the above muscle tightening is the base of all exercises.

Lying down, tighten the muscles. Lift your po and hold on. Bring down the po and relax the muscles. You can do this exercise also by holding a ball between your knees. Balance not to drop the ball.

Lying down, tighten the muscles. Lift your po. Balancing your hips with your hands, lift right leg up with the foot facing the ceiling. Don't strain your back but use the tummy muscle strength to do this. If it hurts your back don't continue this step. Bring back the leg first to its position, po down and then relax. Do with other leg also.

Lying down, tighten the muscles. Place your right hand on your left knee. Lifting your head up push the knee (not literally but just give strength). you should feel the strain on the sides of the tummy. If not you're doing the step incorrectly. You can do the same step with the help of a stick. Hold a stick and push it sideways (raising your head off the floor). Relax and do on the other side as well.

Always remember to get up by the side. When your muscles are still not back to pre-pregnancy stage getting up straight can widen them.

While cooking or doing any work standing tighten the muscles and sway your hips clock-wise and anti clock-wise. This is very good for your pelvic floor.

I hope i have given all the steps. I'll check my note and if anything needs to be added, will update you.

Latha

7. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    Just a thought..One of my relative(gynaec) told that while BFing one has to sit upright with a pillow to support and nurse..Any other method(lying sideways etc) will cause the tummy muscles to expand and give a bulge.

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

oh dear.. i'm simply unable to sit and feed at night:( i hope this is just a theory:hide:

Latha

9. rama_mani

rama_mani Silver IL'ite

Hi Amitha,

What you are going to do in India. How are you after delivery. Are u
    normal weight or u put up weight? what about your belly.

Actually my relation girl - she delivered a baby 8 months back. she had
    c section only. she is normally a stout girl. now she put up more weight.
    she is having heavy breast also. acutally i want her to reduce her
    breast first then side by side her body weight also.

she is planning to come to India. that is why i am asking you what
    you r going to do in india. r u going to consult doctor or any other source
    to reduce your weight.

waiting for your reply.

ramamani

10. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Oh no Ramamani, I am not going to India to reduce weight. I am going because my mother is here with me and she is leaving to India. I want to go with her and stay for sometime and come back. I want to show the newborn to all my relatives.

I have lost all the weight that I had gained during my pregnancy. I have some health problems, i.e., my naval has not gone back to its original shape and it hurts, I am still having vaginal bleeding, I have hemorrhoids. I want to take treatment for these in India.