Uti

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by ashapradeep, Sep 28, 2009.

1. ashapradeep

ashapradeep Bronze IL'ite

Ladies,

I have never had UTI before. But this is my 2nd episode in the past 3 weeks:spin.

A brief history... I delivered DD in Jan and was in India then. So, needless to say there was no intercourse till I came back here this month. Since then I am having so much trouble with the infection. When I read through, it was mentioned that it happens when there is intercourse after a period of long abstinence. I ve been on antibiotics and it clears up as soon as I use them. But I am worried on using it for long coz I am BFing and I dont want it to affect DD.

The worst part, these days I am getting apprehensive during intercourse for fear of the possibility of another UTI:bonk. Is there something I can do to avoid UTI's??

Asha

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hey, did they do a culture? If it is e-coli then it will help to pee before and after intercourse and flush your system with water. Been there, done that IYKWIM ;-)

4. ashapradeep

Thanks Vasumathy for the links. I am generally a person who drinks lots of water!!! Let me try the baking soda, vineger and kegels and see if it works...

I dont think a culture was done Kirthika. They just did a pH test. But of course there was blood in the urine. With that she just prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic.

The worse part was, I am new to this place and this was my first visit to the doctor. She knew I had a 8 month old but prescribed me an antibiotic without even checking if I was BFing. It was only after I mentioned that she said I cudnt feed her for a week to 10 days till the course was complete. I was of course mad at her :rant. When I insisted for an antibiotic that was suitable during feeding, she said in that case its therapeutic effect may be less. Anyway, on my insistence she has given me one which she said is ok. Hope this is the last I have to see of this issue....

Asha

5. jils

jils Bronze IL'ite

a culture should have been done to know the causative bacteria ....
    taking broad spectrum antibiotics is not very good ..... ( the doctor knows the best )
    still there is a tendency among doctors to prescribe higher dose antibiotics , when just an amoxicillin could treat the problem

did you tell the doctor that you are breastfeeding , because some kind of antibiotics are really harmful when taken during lactaion

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Gotta agree with Jils... one thing is now a days some bacteria are not sensitive to all antibiotics. For eg: When DS had UTI, his sample came up resistant for amox and he was on cephaxin.
    If you can help it take a probiotic - you may find it in a health food shop for both you and DS. I have been on many for sinusitis and it always helps if we are both on probiotic. Just my two cents.
    Yippee for you for being the advocate for your child that you are.
    Anyways, just peeing before and after to do the deed, really does help.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  7. jils

jils Bronze IL'ite

sorry asha ...... i didnt read your last post
    insist for urine culture test instead ...........

do you remember which medicine you were on?
    and always feel free to ask your doctor your doubts

8. ashapradeep

Kirthika, I have used probiotics for both of us when I was earlier on antibiotics with abscess. It was so easy to get one in India. But here, its sooo hard to make the guy in the pharmacy understand what I want. Both of us have loosies now coz of the medicine. Lemme see if I can get that too prescribed :spin. I have been taking a lot of yoghurt. Does that help??

Thanks Jils. Will talk to my doc on performing a culture.

To make matters worse, it takes a while for me to be covered by DH's insurance. So right now paying out of my pocket. And something as simple as UTI costs so much :drowning!!!

9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Cranberry is very good for changing the pH of urine and is good for lowering bacteria counts....for mild conditions it is often enough. Can you get cranberry juice or cranberry capsules? It would be safe and also fine during breastfeeding.

10. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

curd is excellent. but it takes a while... Tina (tashidelek2002) suggested vit B12 (did i get that right, T?) to take with AB to help with the loosies... sad aby pharmacies... how abt health food shops?