Post C-section recovery and complications

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by Godschild, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Friends,
    Ever since delivery am facing indigestion and constant upper abdomen pain/burn after meals. Sometimes it vanishes away after 30 mins or after i burp. Some days it lasts long and ends up in me vomiting whatever i ate. My gyn advised me to stop non veg food. Despite that the burning/paining in the upper abdomen continues esp during the nights. Now i have changed my diet to plain kanji due to which my milk supply has gone down and am not able to meet my son's demands. I've been taking gelusil syrup and ranitidine to provide relief.

Now my questions are:
    - Is this indigestion/gastritis common after delivery?
    - Will daily consumption of meds like gelusil and ranitidine cause any harm?

2. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

See 'Godschild',

The normal pH of the stomach is extremely acidic. It contains Hydrochloric acid. The inside walls of the stomach are made to withstand this acid. Nature has created this acid. The function is to convert the inactive form of the digestive enzyme (from pancreas) pepsinogen , into the active form called pepsin.

So, presence of acid in stomach has a physiological function. Taking medications like ranitidine to suppress it, should be only for a limited length of days/ weeks, as felt needed by your Doctor.

If you go on self-medicating yourself with ranitidine or other acid suppressing medications like omeprazole, for a long period, without the advice of your Doctor, then that is certainly harmful.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  3. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Thanks indianguy2010.
    I will stop ranitidine and start looking out for home remedies to solve my problem.
    Thanks again.

4. SiriVeda

SiriVeda Silver IL'ite

Hi Godschild,

I think you need to have "pathyam saapaadu". As your doc suggested stop taking non-veg.
    - Include vegetables like bottle gourd, striped gourd, snake gourd etc., almost everyday.
    - Reduce the intake of Potatos, garlic etc.,
    - Try having raw onion with buttermilk rice during every meal.
    - Whenever you have this burning sensation have sugar water. This helps a lot.

Sirisha

5. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Sirisha,
    Thanks. I ve been having a veggie diet and my stomach's a little better now. I make sure i drink a glass of hot water after every meal. My gyn also advised me to do some exercise to speed up the digestion. Should find time to do them.

6. sobha_guna

sobha_guna New IL'ite

i had c sec 2 weeks ago....now i am feeling pain in my spinal cord to toe ...it lat for many hrs ..is it normal ?

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear Soba...

Back pain after C-section is very much common...even after 2 years of delivery,i face back pain almost daily...i would not be able to stand still and wash the vessels continuously for 10 min...the pain will increase and def i need to take a break...C-section and this back pain,is like directly proportional...
    but if you experience extreme pain and that lasts for many hours(inspite of taking good rest and your sleeping position is fine),better consult your doctor...
    you just had your C-sec 2 weeks back...please dont strain yourself,avoid climbing stairs,avoid sleeping/sitting on the floor and ofcourse avoid exercises till you are completely comfirtable...atleast you need to wait for 3 months...
    Dont worry!!!!!

8. ansureeba

ansureeba Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sobha,

Take good rest for atleast 3 weeks. That's what the doctor suggested for me after the c-sec.
    If you have any help at home, try to be in the bed itself. Don't take baby for so long, don't sit and talk for long.
    I haven't faced any back pain till today(my son is 3 years now) and was taking care of the baby from 3rd month onwards without any help.

Take good care..

Regards,
    Ansu