Sagging breasts after delivery ....any solutions??

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by swaran, Nov 8, 2010.

1. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi All,

Pregnancy and breastfeeding have changed my breasts shape and size a lot...now my breasts have actually increased by 2 inches but they are sagging and also it looks like the skin in that area is very dry and this gives a look like there have got wrinkles...:hide:

I am going to yoga everyday for the past 1 month...will it create some change???...i mean do i have to follow a specific exercise for this alone?

Any tips from mommies???????...atleast even if it does come back to the original size,can anything be done to get back to normal shape?...

PS: i am working and still breastfeeding DD...so i guess cant apply some oil or cream at night(LO takes feeds from me during night)

Please help me...Thanks in Advance

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

2. goldenrose

goldenrose Senior IL'ite

Even i too have the same problem. I feel like a old lady breast. Please suggest us to get rid of this

3. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

hi goldenrose...thanks for stepping in...yes lets wait for the ladies to help us

4. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

Hello swaran and golden rose,

It is normal to have sagging breast since you are feeding. Breast get back to its shape but it takes time, you cannot expect it to happen in a month.

Wear tight lingeries
    Also do bench presses with dumbbells.

You can see the results...

:thumbsup
    Priya

5. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Prya

thanks for your response..i do wear fitting ones but cant wear too tight as i feel uncomfortable after some hours in office
    those exercises..yes would try to do.thanks again

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Swaran, there are a few creams available in the market which when applied are safe for breast feeding. There is this popular name, Lanolin ointment. many people use this to make sure that nipples do not chap/dry out. You could try this out; this is completely safe even when baby is still feeding. Also, many young mothers here rub a few drops of their own milk on the nipple gently and stroke it a few times (soon after feeding). This will help prevent chapping.

Also, from what I understand, you have 2 different problems here. one, nipples drying out and another the shape of your breast. It is recommended that while breast feeding you refrain from wearing under-wire or tight bras. Your breast needs to be moisture-free.

After you stop breast feeding, you can concentrate on getting the shape back. As long as you are breast feeding, your milk ducts would be still big. So, aiming to get back to shape while still breast feeding is not going to be practical for you. The problem is that breast does not have muscle. So, your exercises should focus on the muscle which holds the breast. I am not sure of how much weight you have gained during pregnancy but if you have not already come to pre-pregnancy stage, I suggest that you go easy on your diet.
    Drastic and quick-weight-loss diets would leave your breast small/saggy and unattractive. This is why, it is important that you loose weight gradually which is good for your overall health and your breast too.

Do not worry, they will be fine with a few exercises, proper healthy diet.

But meanwhile, I suggest not to wear tight fitting bra's until you stop breast feeding. It is not good on your nipples. you will only be doing more harm than good.

3 people like this.
  7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rakii...thanks for your response and wonderful tips...but actually my nipples dont dry...the whole breasts(other than the nipples) actually look very dry and looks like they have developed wrinkles ...will any good moisturising cream alone work for this?...

And yes as you say.as long as we are BF,the shape will not be proper...just wanted to know whether there are any creams or exercises that could help as soon as we stop BF

Thanks a ton for your reply dear...:thumbsup

8. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi swaran,

Rakhii has given good tips and has covered almost everything what I wanted to convey. Apart from this, Im assuming this is your first child so dont worry. The breasts come back to pre-preg size pretty much during first delivery but all this process can be done only after you stop BF. Once you have weaned off, you could start wearing sports bra which provides good support. Once I read in some book that after stopping BF, wearing one size less bra size will get back the shape not sure about this though.

Even now try to wear nursing bras which open up only on the nipples part and the base remains intact. This provides good support. For the dryness, just try to massage everyday with coconut oil and wash off thoroughly while taking bath. This will keep the area moist.

Hope it helped.

1 person likes this.
  9. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Pman...thanks a lot...yes this is my first delivery...even though i have heard a few people say that the breasts will come back to original size or atleast the shape would be fine,i still had doubts whether any precaution has to be taken or any tips to be taken which can help...hence asking tips from all you lovely mothers...

nursing bras........mmmmmmmm.....i do have them but DD becomes so very angry if i dont open immediately...so she doesn;t give me time to open only the required area... :bonk

Yes SPORTS bra..i do have one but as you say maybe i ll try to wear them often after i stop BF...and i ll try the one size less bra..i do have few of my old ones...
    thanks again

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Swaran, sorry, i mistook that its the nipples which are drying out. If its the actual breast, I think lanolin would still be good. Or, buy a good moisturizer (Aveeno) and gently apply on to your breast when ever you can (avoiding the nipple). I am not sure what is causing the dryness but I am fairly sure it would bounce back dear. Dont worry.
    Also, once a week I apply gohnson's baby lotion on my body and wash off. It leaves my skin soft. Try that also; since its a baby safe lotion, BF should not be a problem with it.

Edit: What ever moisturizer you are using, just make sure that it sinks into your skin quickly. While BF, you need your breast to be moisture free. Actually, i am researching a lot about BF these days and so knew these things. I personally dont have any experience in BF.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010