1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Want to learn crochet

Discussion in 'Knitting & Crochet' started by Thejasri, May 7, 2013.

1. Thejasri

Thejasri New IL'ite

Hi,

I am planning to pursue crochet as my hobby.Can someone suggest me as to how to get started.The basic things required and the shops where I can get them in USA.

2. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

Google crochet in your area, a lot of shop that sell knitting yarn have classes or know someone who runs classes

3. shiltalks

shiltalks Silver IL'ite

If you have a Jo-Ann or Michaels store near you, enquire with them about classes. Hands-on classes always help if you are new to the craft. Alternately, you can check YouTube for crochet tutorials. There are tons of them which start from the basics - you can look for tutorials from the user 'crochet geek' which are pretty good.
    The things you need to get started with crocheting are a crochet hook and yarn. There are different sizes of hooks and yarns vary in thickness/type. You need to buy your crochet hook according to the the yarn you pick up. Most yarns have a recommended hook size on their label. You can buy according to to this initially. When you are starting to learn the basic stitches (if you are learning on your own), buy a light color thicker size yarn. This will help you see the stitches and work up quickly and give you satisfaction that you are making good progress:)
    You can also get all your yarn supplies from Jo-Ann or Michaels. I believe Hobby Lobby is also a good source, though I have never been there.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Thejasri

Thejasri New IL'ite

thanks peeks and shiltalks..:):)