Keralites Hair Care

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by AVM, Jan 21, 2009.

1. AVM

AVM Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,
    I found most of the keralites men and women have a beautiful,black and thick hair. I heard they take head bath daily. Do they oil daily and use shampoo daily? If not shampoo what you'll use?
    Just in short what is the day to day hair care procedures?
    Is it manageable for corporate ladies in a cities like bangalore?

Regards,
    AVM

2. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Not sure how life is like for a corporate lady in Bnglr but here's what works for me. Before I go to bed at night, I use a little parachute coconut oil and brush my hair....in the morning, wash my hair daily. I only shampoo my hair twice a week since it tends to dry out my hair. I work full time and was born and raised in new york. I guess if you really want something, you can always make time for it. And keeping my hair clean and shiny is a little important to me. :)

3. AVM

AVM Bronze IL'ite

Hi Manaswini,
    Thanks for your reply. I have oily face and dry hair and I am little worried that i look worse if i have oil in my hair. I do oil my hair all weekends and do not shampoo my hair without oiling it.That is what my concern is. I want to take head bath daily but cant use shampoo daily as it would dry out my hair. Always shikakai dont remove all oil and time consuming.

Regards
    AVM

4. gayatri310

gayatri310 New IL'ite

Hi

I have seen most of the Kerala women and men have beautiful hair and women have long hair,very strong and healthy looks too.I want to know the general routine they do for their hair.Can anyone please let me know?.I have posted the same in hair care but I thought i might get some quick response here.

gayatri

5. gayatri310

gayatri310 New IL'ite

Hi

I am surprised.no reply yet!!!.Is this a wrong forum to ask the question.just asked about what do they do from childhood to have such a beautiful hair.

Gayatri

6. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Gayathri,I hope this link will be helpful
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/kerala/46395-all-neelibringhadi-oils-kerala-good.html
    Gayathri,there are lot of factors for good hair
    1.Hereditary-That I think is the main factor;rest follows how well its maintained
    2.Home-made hair oils-a regular hot-oil massage using pure coconut oil & easily available plants like tulasi,hibiscus etc.Washing the hair with thali(leaves of Hibiscus is grinded & applied ;its a good conditioner) & other natural powders
    3.Daily-routine-Most of the Keralites takes head bath daily.It helps to keep the hair clean.
    4.Water-also could be one reason
    5.Food habits
    6.Climate

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
    simba1211 likes this.
  7. gayatri310

gayatri310 New IL'ite

hi ammukutty

thanks for the reply.I read the thread keralites hair care before posting here.

and thanks for the tips too.Do you know any place in US where we get that oil?.

Gayatri

8. lotustempest

lotustempest New IL'ite

I will give you a near appropriate reason for keralites good skin and hair. pls delete the genetics word. number one is the rainy whether for many months. whether that has humidity hence naturally moisturising.number two;they rarely trim hair. third; they rarely shampoo hair, instead use herbal powders and leaves that do just one job;they never remove the oil on the scalp completely, so whatever the scalp condition, hair remains on the head.another reason is fish and the quality of carbohydrate taken. they eat kappa in lots instead of rice and wheat-just like ancient men.the cholesterol inthe coconuts-but see the body shape-is it a pear or an apple o r a thick banana? also all the good berries, pineapples, proteinaceous bananas, spices, vannila, tubers ect etc grow there. small area witha big sea surface for fish. mountanous region where rain woul;d not hurt like in other regions. and dont you know that people who live on hills are always a bit more benefited by nature.you go there and live for six monts cooking in your own house. even if you are dark like cahrcoal you will become fair like a white sheet with lush hair; but pls check your cholesterol levels.

1 person likes this.
  9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    the climate, water, clean environment etc. are the main factors. And I should say the eating habits of Keralites. Eating out and consuming eatables all the time is not there much. They eat simple food mostly and use less of milk and milk products, butter and ghee are used very rarely, sweet consumption is restricted to special occassions. And they drink black coffee and black tea only, that too with country jaggery (karuppatti) even now. The jaggery which we get there is not processed much and contains all natural minerals etc.And they eat fish mainly.
    Their habit is to slightly oil the scalp mainly and just lightly the hair. Leave it as it is and have a head bath everyday. The hair is not dried using dryer, combs are not used to untangle the wet hair. They use their fingers to untangle hair and that way it gets dry also. And thjey leave their hair loose mostly, no plaits, no tight clips or any thing.
    I am one example of long hair gone with the wind. I had hair till my knees and after coming to Chennai, due to the hard water, my hair is gone. I sport a short hair style nowadays!

1 person likes this.