Malayalee women hair care regime

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by an123, Feb 20, 2012.

1. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

I have heard Malayalee women’s secret to long , black and thick hair is their regime to oil and wash their hair daily. Is this true and is it being followed even now? If so

· Could you advise the recipe of the home made oils and homemade hair shampoos/pack that you use? Please share your Hair care regime.

· Also are there any good organic/ ayurvedic sls free shampoos available in Kerala that you can recommend? Where can I get them?

Hope to hear your experience
    AN123

2. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi An123,
    Yes I used to wash my hair everyday before when I was at Kerala. But now I have resorted to alternate days of washing the hair.

You can make hair oil at home. Ingredients needed are coconut oil, hibiscus, hibiscus leaves, Tulsi,curry leaves. Heat oil and add all the leaves and hibiscus to it. Heat the oil till the leaves and flowers get really kind of fried in the oil. Keep the oil to cool, you can probably leave it overnight. Then using a strainer or cotton cloth strain out all the leaf particles from the oil. You can use this strained oil as hair oil and the leaves and flowers can also be used for massaging into the hair.

For washing your hair you can try shikakai powder.

5 people like this.
  3. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Amihere for the recipe

Do you heat up the oil thereafter whenever you want massage it on your scalp or can you just use it without heating it?

thanks
    An123

4. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

You can use it either way. If you want to give your scalp a nice hot oil massage, heat it up and use. One drawback is when its chilly the oil solidifies since coconut oil is the base. Such days you might want to heat it up or immerse the bottle in hot water to liquidify the oil.

5. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

I have always admired the long, thick and black crowning glory of women from Kerala, but did not know the secret. Thanks for sharing this old tradition.
    But, just a small doubt...if we shampoo/wash hair everyday, does the hair/scalp turn dry? I was told that hair greys faster if washed shampooed very frequently.

6. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

7. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

8. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rkg, Washing your hair daily will only help your hair. But shampooing daily is a no-no especially the ones we buy. Its only enough once or may be twice a week.

This hair care oil can be made with other ingredients too.Some people add black pepper in to too(only heard about it) or say mehendi leaves. So probably may be there are others who can share a different recipee as well.

9. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

Nice tips for making home made hair oil. I will try to make it. I have continuous hair fall. I hope this will help me out.

10. SuperLily

SuperLily Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this wonderful hair oil recipe..