1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Swimming urgent help needed

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by SPreethi, Apr 23, 2010.

1. SPreethi

SPreethi Silver IL'ite

hi friends,

I have joined for swimming classes. I want to reduce my weight( particularly shape my body) Today was my first class. Im really afraid of water(after getting into it) :hide: . I dont know how im going to learn swimming. Its a 15 day class. Is this normal for all the first timers or is it only me.Plz help me:bowdown with your encouraging words or solutions.

Thanks in advance.
    Preethi

2. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Dear Preethi,

RELAX...take a deep breath. You are totally fine..believe me when I went to swimming classes...I had absolutely faced the same fears as you. Do you know the very first class all we were asked to do was just step into the water....and I was so terrified to even step in. It was just around 4ft deep thats all but still it made me so scared. I barely got in with the help of my DH standing beside me ( he is 6ft so he doesn't care):rotfl

After I stepped in thats all i didn't take any step further....i was so terrified but that is just a feeling...u have to learn to relax and let go of the fear. Because the key thing here is learn to relax and develop confidence that nothing is going to happen. I am sure it is not that deep and all u do is stand up, if you ever were to fall into the water.

Now after the first class, the second was much better and like this I learnt how to do swimming. Today I love swimming...I can swim in any deep water. I have no fear. Similarly for you, it will get better trust me...you will soon love swimming.

Trust me, just be calm and relaxed and pretty soon you will love swimming just like me. :):thumbsup

All the best!
    Jaya

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Jaya is right...it's all about relaxing. The human body is lighter than water (and if you are overweight you have even more extra flotation LOL) so if you are sinking its because you are fighting the natural weight of the body. I remember when I was in fifth grade, I had not learned how to swim yet and all my friends were enjoying their times in pools and lakes. I went to swim class and I was very skinny so my flotation was a little less. I tried and tried and still I could not float (if you can float you can swim). Then one night I had a dream that I could swim and the next day I went to class and it was just like the dream and I could swim. So keep trying...you will get it. For weight loss and getting a beautiful figure, swimming can't be beat. Good luck.

4. SPreethi

SPreethi Silver IL'ite

HI friends,

Thanks friends for your advice :). Only two classes have gone by and they are teaching breathing techniques. I will post when i start to swim.

Preethi

5. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Preethi,
    You will do fine, Don't worry. Just relax. You will get there. :thumbsup