1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Swimming benefits...

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by rosegirl, Mar 12, 2010.

1. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    I want to know if anybody has reduced weight by swimming alone.
    Anyone know the benefits of swimming. I am going to learn this spring and want to know the pros and cons.
    please help.

2. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Hi Rosegirl
    I used to swim before my marriage (3 years back) everyday and it was the best exercise for me! My metabolism increased, and I was much more fit and toned. I did lose weight - about 10 kgs..but this was over a period of 1 year, if you want immediate results, it might not do the trick. It is enjoyable and doesn't tire you as much as an equal time of walking/jogging would.
    I think a combination of smart eating and swimming regularly (for about 40-45 mins) will help.
    I am not able to regularly swim now, cos of lack of a proper pool near home. Please ensure that you go to a pool which is clean and filtered everyday, else you might get stuck with some nasty yeast/fungal infections!
    Good Luck! :thumbsup

3. sundaribhaskar

sundaribhaskar Bronze IL'ite

hi rose girl.

Swimming is a good excercise. I used to do swimming, i did reduce weight within few months, but the problem was i got tanned so badly that i used to look pale and dull and people started asking me what happened....
    Although the pool water has the correct amount of chemical agents added, i used to apply sunscreen lotion...used to swim at 7am or late evening.
    I took a very long time to regain my colour back.

Happy siwmming

Sundari bhaskar

Admin Note: Check the following discussions and article on Swimming and its benefits

Swim Your Way to Good Health
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/112331-walking-or-swimming.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/139-swimming-q-and-a.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indians-in-uae/91167-sports-for-weight-loss.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...63997-how-increase-your-familys-physical.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/41469-how-to-drop-dress-size.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
  4. rena2010

rena2010 Senior IL'ite

Swimming is very closely related to weight loss. Actually it's equivalent to Aerobic exercises. Even doctors say that it tones the body and maintains the blood pressure. Also it burns about 350 calories if you swim for 30 minutes. It even gives the flexibility of your joints. So let me know about your weight loss once you are done with swimming.

ALL THE BEST:thumbsup

5. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Dear,

I was a good swimmer before wedding. I learnt it few months before wedding thinking for weight loss. I did lose weight but as mentioned by one of our friends, i got tanned so much. My mom was shocked when she say me befor wedding and I was told to stop it. I was lucky to get the complexion back in 2 months. Since that time I swim only once a month. Irrespective of sunscreen, bath in fresh water I got tanned :(

6. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a lot guys, People told me that swimming only tones body and doesn't help in reducing much, that's why I wanted to make sure. I want to lose around 15kgs, since my BMI is 28. I want to bring it to 21. I hate walking/jogging/aerobics since I give up easily on those.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  7. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

It does tone but also helps to lose weight, but you would need to combine it with some smart eating. Keep away from the usual fried stuff, sodas, etc. Eat in moderation and have 5-6 small meals a day. Snack if you feel the need to, only on nuts..(not fried stuff)

This should help you achieve your goal, but give it time! Also, used a good sunscreen, and you might want to keep different swimsuits, because as mentioned by other posters, you will tan, with some dark tan marks!! The best time to swim is early in the morning (before the sun is really up), or late in the evening when the sun is down. If you can find an indoor pool, even better!!