1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

A weight loss success story

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 12, 2010.

1. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Shiva,

I weighed myself today after 2 weeks. Since i was doing weights and cardio in combination now, I wanted my body to adjust to the new settings. I lost 1.4 lbs in 2 weeks.My tops are becoming loose since Im doing weights. The latpull down is helping me a lot.

The best part is I had 2slices of pizza and also some fried stuff in this 2 weeks and still managed to lose weight. I was balancing my calorie intake.

Thanks a lot Shiva for helping me out.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. Mihisha

Mihisha Senior IL'ite

Dear Shiva

I am posting , I guess, after a long time. I have been going to gym regularly , most of the days doing cardio for 45 min and some bad days, I manage to do at least 30 min. Right now, I have not lose any weight, reason being I am not paying attention to my diet in the dinner .. I know I have mentioned this thing to u earlier too but I need to be careful abt this frm now on. This last week, I am feeling very bloated ( I have this issue a week, soemtimes 10 days before my period)....so I am showing a gain of weight, which is discouraging. I weigh 77.8 instead of 77.5 last reporting weight, despite mine pushing myself to cardio. B fast, I am now adjusted to veggie sandwich (a v light layer of hummu with tomato and cucumbers, sometimes a spoon of blackbeans) - ditto for lunch, and salad plus fruits, evening time, I have tea with light dinner ( No rotis and no rice this week),
    Maybe I shud weight until my period happen and are over to have a clear ides abt weight....
    I am having a severe toothache since last one week and so I ate khichdi for 2 days during dinner ( cud that be culprit? ), I wont be able to exercise for next couple of days as I am going for tooth extraction (I have no other option but to extract the tooth as it is wisdom tooth and my mouth does not have space to accomodate it , it seems) - the doctor has strongly advised to take liquid diet, including ice-cream to help relieve the pain.... I have told DH to make khichdi with more dhal and less rice...
    lets see...am feeling hungry v often....

Hope everything's fine with u...... I am just in low spirits due to PMS and/or bad incidents ( I read abt daniel pearl's story few days back and this bad airline tragedy, I become depressed and scared v easily due to these things).....

I wud get back to you next week with hopefully better results....

tc
    hugs

Mihisha

3. sreenidhishar

sreenidhishar Bronze IL'ite

wow....this is truly a new approach to weight loss. i used to feel very cautious abt my being obese , but now i know hiding is nt the solution,but dealing with the problem is the only right way. thank u shiva for the inspiration.

4. sreenidhishar

i have a cross trainer and treadmill at home and i walk for 15mins a day. on the treadmill amunable to walk for more than 5mins. but i split up and do 20mins taking a break evry 5mins, is tht bad?
    am 26years and my weight is 91 post preg. my pre preg weight was 52kgs, preg phase weight was 61kgs and feeding phase weight was 64kgs. but in the last 4 years i have gained weight tremendously and am shocked and stuck with these bulges forever. i used to do weekly crash diets but it was always a failure for me. going to gym proved useless cuz i only lost 2 kgs in 2 months whereas i was paying exorbitantly for that(6000rs for 12kgs in 45days). i have PCOD problem . other than that am ine. pls help me lose weight..............

5. sreenidhishar

this is my diet:
    morning- 2 dosas and a cup of steaming cofe.
    noon- rice, dal and veg
    night- milkrice/3 rotis with cooked peas.
    am addicted to aerated drinks, which am controlling only now.
    i take mangoes, pomegranete juice,tomatojuice,banana,pineapple juice ....anyone of these as a refreshment in the evening. weekends i dine out for dinner . other than that if at all i go out with frnds for lunch or dinner during weekdays i stick to soup and roti-onion raitha.

what shd i do? pls help.

6. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pman16,

This is one modern zen poem.

To follow the path:
    look to the master,
    follow the master,
    walk with the master,
    see through the master,
    become the master.

Pman16, you have become a master now. You have now learnt the trick of the trade. My friend you have done really really well. You are an inspiration of all the moms who are struggling to lose weight.

I am very happy to know about your progress.

Lots and lots of love

regards

7. shivachoubey

Dear Mihisha,

The air crash disturbed me a lot too. If you think about it, those people had reached their destination where the death awaited. Thinking about it disturbs me to no end. But finally tell yourself that its their destiny, their path you can do nothing about it. Your responsibility is to walk your own path and be aliened with your own destiny.

In one of your threads you mentioned you have read Many Lives, Many Masters, try gathering strength from it.

Here are few point on weight loss.

1. Weight gain can happen 10 days before periods. So don't let it demotivate you. Take your weight one day after your periods end.

2. Mihisha, can you replace your sandwich lunch with a roti wrap. If you have problem to cook rotis then make them on weekend and freeze. Add, wheat flour, bajra, jower. I am trying to replace a simple carb lunch with a complex carb one that is all. You can make the wrap as same way as the sandwich. Roti wrap with hummus and salad taste awesome.

3. Try out this dosa and see if you like it. Its only lentil and nothing else.

a) Soak yellow moog dhal (you can use different types of dhal as well) for 1-2 hours.

b) In a grinder, grind the dhal with 1 tbsp dahi, 4-5 cloves of garlic, 1 inch ginger, half green chili and salt. Make a smooth paste

c) In the above batter add, grated carrot, grated cucumber. And eno salt (optional)

d) In a pan, sprinkle little oil and pour the batter. The dosas are not very thin, spread them thickly. Cover the pan for 2 minutes, we want the dosa to be steamed and then flip and cook the other side. Both sides should be little brown

e) you can have it with any sabji or paneer bhurji.

You can try eating this pancake in dinner to get the carbohydrate content down. I used to drink lot of moong dhal soup but my husband doesn't like it. SO what I did, I grinded all the ingredients of the soup and made a dosa out of it and DH really loved it. I am trying to get his carb intake down.

You can make these dosa and keep them in fridge. They are good in fridge for 3-4 days (no need to freeze). As its more of protein they are really heavy too, they fill your stomach. Try it out.

4) You have been regular with the gym now. If you think it has become a habit to go a gym, that is you want to go there every day then try challenging your body. Like doing cardio with little high speed and then more repetitions with the weights. This will jerk the body into spending more calories.

5) The dosa that I suggested above is only lentils. So, after workout you can have 1 dosa with lots of fruits this will automatically cut down calories. Did you try having a banana before workout, how did it go???.

6) If you feel hungry often try having fruits. I grab a fruit whenever I am hungry

Let me know how did these changes went. Try not to be discouraged with period weight, it all water retention.

Weight gain or weight loss it does not matter what matters is you are feeling good about yourself and your clothes are fitting you better. So don't give up.

No matter what Mihisha, do not let anything stop your from achieving your target weight.

Have great great day ahead my friend.

Lots of love

regards

8. shivachoubey

Dear Sreenidshar,

Welcome to the thread. Just be loyal to yourself and keep writing here till you achieve your target. You will surely lose weight.

Here are my suggestions

i have a cross trainer and treadmill at home and i walk for 15mins a day. on the treadmill amunable to walk for more than 5mins. but i split up and do 20mins taking a break evry 5mins, is tht bad? - If you have been doing it for sometimes then you should bring in some challenge. Like walk for 10 minutes and then give a break and then walk for 10 minutes more. Ideally to lose weight you need to do a cardio for 45 minutes at least.

You can start by doing 20 minutes tread mill and 20 minutes elliptical. Remember, you need to keep changing the way you exercise either by increasing the time limit or by increasing the resistance. SO train yourself to exercise for 45 minutes atleast.

going to gym proved useless cuz i only lost 2 kgs in 2 months whereas i was paying exorbitantly for that(6000rs for 12kgs in 45days) - Any one who says you can lose 12 kgs in 45 days should be kick in the ***. That is too much weight loss in less amount of days, this will leave you weak with hanging skin and lots of stretch marks (if by any miracle you are able to achieve it). Now, that you know that this doesn't work chalk out your own plan. Gyms are not bad, go there to use more cardio machines. As of now just train yourself at home and then you can join the gym for more variation. But remember, through my experience their weight loss packages are a crap. Just join for using their machines that is all.

Diet -

morning- 2 dosas and a cup of steaming cofe. - Stick with this

noon- rice, dal and veg - Shift to boiled rice. Boil the rice 3 times and drain the water every time you boil (for example, boil once and when you see the white froth drain, put in fresh water and repeat the process, do this 3 times or more). Make this rice for your self and not for the kids. The rice should be completely drained of strach. For yourself only, start to cook 2 fist of rice.

night- milkrice/3 rotis with cooked peas. - If you are eating rice then follow the lunch process.

am addicted to aerated drinks, which am controlling only now.
    i take mangoes, pomegranete juice,tomatojuice,banana,pineapple juice
    - THEY ARE A BIG NO even the juices. If you have an urge then make nimbu paani with sugar free but not juices. Avoid them

weekends i dine out for dinner . other than that if at all i go out with frnds for lunch or dinner during weekdays i stick to soup and roti-onion raitha. - OK

What you should do this week.

1. The most important thing that you should do is start your 45 minutes cardio. If you are tired after 30 minutes on machines, then go for 15 minutes of walk. By hook or crook get yourself to move for 45 minutes.

2. Do not decrease the quantity of food now, just make the changes suggested above.

3. Take your start weight. Take it in morning, after going to loo without any clothes on.

4. If possible please maintain a food dairy.

Come back and report the changes next week. Sreeni, it better to start slowly and surely. So start by making small but permanent changes.

Be loyal to yourself. Feel free to approach me whenever you want any help.

Give me your 100% and I will give you mine. If you want to reduce weight then no one but yourself can stop you from doing it.

All the best for your weight loss.

have a great great day ahead.

regards

9. priyaga

priyaga New IL'ite

Hi,
    Thank you so much for sharing all the wisdom, both pragmatic tips and the big-picture stuff; You are doing a great service and touching the lives of many people. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup

I am working on finishing my thesis but found your blog and have been hooked on it for a few hrs now ! :)

Leg press: Can you possibly describe it, i mean, is it the stepper like one, a picture perhaps wud be great?

Best Regards,
    Sripriya

10. shivachoubey

Dear Sripriya,

Thank you for your appreciation.

Check the below links for the images of leg press machines.

Leg Press - How to Do the Leg Press - Leg Press Machines

MESC

Body Solid leg press and hack squat machine GLPH 1100 review

Hope this helps. please feel free to ask any further doubts.

Have a great day ahead.

regards