1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

A weight loss success story

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 12, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Msjp,

It would help to know your diet. My diet has gradually changed over the period of time. I will give it here anyways.

My Diet as of Now:

1. Normal breakfast like a veg sandwich, poha, upma. I eat poha upma 1 quater plate, you can see the pic of poha plate in my blog.

2. In between I munch on fruits. Apple, orange, watermelon, banana.

3. Lunch is a big bowl of soup with veggies and little rice.

4. Dinner is again more or less on similar line on lunch. I eat lots of dhaal. My dinner is followed by water melon to give me the full feeling.

Keep in mind that I do not work, I am usually at home and the only physical activity that I do is in gym. The diet needs to be different for a more active person.

As for exercise :

Aim for 60 minutes cardio. To reduce weight you should concentrate 75% of your time in cardio and 25% on weights. Lots of cardio is the key for loosing weight. Do light weight training just to tone the skin.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information and i will gladly tell you.

If you post your diet and exercise routine probably I can let you know why weight loss is slow.

All the best buddy. Do keep me updated about your progress.

You are doing great. Hang in there and results will pour in.

Have a great day ahead.

regards.

2. shivachoubey

Dear Sati,

Good to know that you are starting with your weight loss project. Here are your answers.

1. What kind of workout would newbie would do?- If you are just starting with the weight loss, then start with 30 minutes of walk in the first week, then 45 minutes from next week onwards. As you will progress with weight loss you will need to keep modifying your exercise regime and diet. But to start walking is good.
    2. How many times a week and how long? - 5 Times a week is good. 6 times a week is bingo.
    3. I am calorie counting and would ideally like to eat 1600 calories per day. How much do you actually stick to it. - Have a basic idea about the calories in your food. You need not know the exact amount, an approximate will do good. Like I know that in a roti there is 100 cal approx and so I figure my meal out. If you are just starting, then all you have to do is stick to the same diet but reduce just a little amount. Like if you are having 2 sandwiches in breakfast then go for 1.As your weight reduces you will have to reduce your calorie intake so its better not to bring in the drastic changes in initial few weeks but to bring them gradually. Start replacing 1 roti in your meal with soup. Idea here is not to reduce the intake too much and to fill the stomach with lots of soup and veggies.
    4. I read in one fo your post that you avoid rice ? what is that ? Is it before the conversion of Rice to energy is faster than wheat ?- No babes never. I cannot live without rice. Infact I do not eat roti because it does not give me satisfaction. I am a rice eater. I eat starch less rice. I boil it 3 times to drain the starch. As for conversion of energy, yes you are right. Read of Glycemic Index. You will know that rice is digested much more faster than the wheat. As a rule I have read about everything but I follow nothing. I eat the food I like to eat but I do calorie adjustment. For example : I like Poha in my breakfast. So I cook the same poha in less oil in microwave and I eat a smaller amount with a smaller spoon, the small amount of breakfast makes me hungry after 2 hours but no worries I eat fruits. So I eat lesser quantity at one time to train my stomach to hold less amount of food at one go. My satisfaction level is also maintained as I keep eating something every 2-3 hours.
    5. What about dinner, should there be some time frame before we go to bed ? - Ideally it should be 2 to 3 hours before going to bed. But the bad girl I am, sometimes I will just eat my dinner and jump in bed. See, in the end its the game of how much you consume and how much you burn. If you consume less and burn more even if you are eating food in your sleep in won't add on weight. I cannot eat dinner at 7:00 because I am very hungry late at night. So I eat it by 8:30 or 9:00 but now a days as I workout late in evening I eat it even later. So, best is figure your comfort level out. If early dinner suits you have it early, if late dinner suits you have it late. Dinner as a rule should be light. I extensively depend on soup, veggies, 2 tspoon of my rice and water melon for dinner.
    I hope I have answered your questions. Please do ask me if you have any further doubts. I am always glad to help.

All the very best. Keep me updated about your progress.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

3. SatiBalachander

SatiBalachander New IL'ite

Hi Shiva,
    Just got back from the Gym. I am totally out of shape, they asked me to jog, skip, step and lots of other stuff. I just could do it for half hour and my knee gave up on me. Anyhow I did some good cardio but i am totally out of shape. Well since I am such a bad gal, I came and ate half muffin:hide: ( 400) calories and almonds for 100 calories. Total intake was 500 and burnt like 200. Any how i am thinking of walking home to add some more on my list. So In total I am in negative 200. I am such a idiot:bonk.

Enough of my whining:rant, Thank you for answering all my questions:bowdown.

So very less food in dinner, now i know why I am putting on so much weight. I usually eat like a pig during dinner time. Only soup during dinner, thats interesting. Do you have a recipe thread somewhere with ideas ?

Hey:idea you did not talk about sugar ? shed some light on sugar intake ?

Also what kind of exercise do you do ? Cardio is very generic

Update: Just my luck its pouring here grr!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  4. shivachoubey

Dear Sati,

Here are the steps for you.

1. Take your weight and note down in the dairy. Please also let me know your weight so that before suggesting anything I have an idea. You should take your weight first thing in the morning after going to the loo and without any clothes on.

2. Please write your diet here. With time and food.

3. How long have you been exercising. the type of exercise and the duration??

4. Are you working??

5. Maintain a food diary and note down your intake.

If you could answer my above questions, we could start by making changes.

Remember, its good to be out of shape because then we can carve ourselves the way we want. Being out of shape gives you the power to decide from where you want to loose and how much.

You are doing great, just give me few details so that we can start. Based on the info I will also tell you the cardio exercises.

I do not restrict my sugar as I have moderate amounts. Like in tea (1 tea spoon). As for sweet tooth, I usually try satisfying myself with a sweet fruit and sometimes I do give in to the urge. I am not very fond of sweets though.

Here is the link for low cal recipes.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/blogs/shivachoubey/category/low-cal-recipes-331/

Have a great day ahead. Waiting to hear from you soon.

regards

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  5. SatiBalachander

Regards
    Sati ( you can burn me alive :):thumbsup)

6. shivachoubey

Dear Sati,

Great. This first week start with these changes and get back with your weight results.

1. Break Fast - Skip peanut butter, apply hummus on both toast and fill it with veggies.

2. Stick with your lunch and dinner and snacks.If possible reduce 1 roti from your lunch and introduce salads.

3. Avoid eating outside and avoid fried food. If you have craving, then make a smart low cal option of that food at home.

4. Exercise - No Jogging and no skipping.

Can you do this

1. 20 minutes on treadmill if you want an inclination then go for 1 or 2. Decide a speed at which you are comfortable walking for example lets say 5. So walk for 5 minutes at 5 and then next 5 minutes at 5.5. Keep oscillating between 5 and 5.5. You need to maintain this speed for a week. If you do not want any inclination then don't do it. I walk without inclination, I just hate it.

2. 10 minutes cycling, 10 minutes cross trainer and 5 minutes of any other cardio machine like rowing or stepper.

3. Target 45 minutes of above cardio exercise. If you want to do more cardio you are most welcome to do so.

4. Do light weights, not heavy. Do leg press, abductor, aductor and lat pull down.

5. Hear peppy songs while exercising and think that you are an athlete while training at gym.

There is no point is challenging yourself so much that you break. Start with this program (if you like it). Every week add a challenge.

Let me know your progress next week. After this week we will bring in little more diet changes.

Hope this helps. Do approach me if you have anymore doubts.

Have a great day ahead.

PS: I won't burn you alive honey, I will roast you slowly to bring out your flavor.

regards

7. VanMegha

VanMegha New IL'ite

Hi Shiva,

I've become ur fan after reading your blog for your strong will and determination in losing weight. Hope I learn something from you. I'm on the same track of losing weight. I'm a working mother of a 3yr old kid. I'm in IT and leave to work from home at 8.00am and come back at 6.45pm. Mine is very tight schedule and some days its hard to spend atleast 10mins for exercise.
    I'm 5ft 2in height and weigh about 139 lbs. I used to be around 142lbs but some 3-4 months back we bot an Elliptical at home and I try to exercise for 20-25mins atleast once every 2-3days. I think the exercise and some small changes in my diet helped me to reduce my weight by alteast 3lbs.

Here is my regular diet:

1. Morning breakfast (its heavy) : 2 Quaker oats packets with milk and sugar + 1 boiled egg

I dont feel hungry at all until 12/12.30pm

2. Lunch around 12:15pm : 2 cups cooked rice - some with curry and some with curd.

3. At around 3pm I drink T (with 3 small pkts of sugar at office)

4. At 4.30/5.00pm I eat some almonds+raisins+pine nuts OR a fruit like apple

5. After going home I do some exercise around 7pm for 20mins and drink milk

Or sometimes I try to get all the household work done because my kid+hubby would be waiting on me for dinner. And after that start my exercise around 8.30 or 8.45 for 20mins.

6. Dinner would be some fruits + a small katori of rice with curry + buttermilk

There is no change in my weight after coming to 139 lbs. Pls suggest what changes I can make in my diet and exercise routine.

thanks,
    VanMegha

8. SatiBalachander

Thank you for your suggestions Shiva, I will try them and post my results/feelings next week. In the mean time i will bug you if I have a question. I am gonna try the oats soup today.
    Regards
    Sati:hide:

9. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Shiva,

This week I did not weight due to periods. I shall do it next week. In the meanwhile,i want to share few concerns with you.

I have a hard time trying to include oats in my breakfast.I get bored eating brown bread all the time and looking for some variation.I end up buying methi thepla most of the time as it is quick breakfast and time saving for me.

Today morning i bought an instant microwaveable cinnamon flavoured oats wherein in had to fill it with water and m/w for a minute.I couldnt eat more than two spoons. Actually i dont like the sweet smell/taste early in the morning.Im planning to buy a oat cereal bar and try it this weekend.I want to know is there any recipe or way of including oats in my breakfast in a namkeen way.I can eat salty based breakfast but not sweet. I hope you understood my query.

Thanks for your support.

10. shivachoubey

Dear VanMegha,

Thanks so much for your appreciation and welcome to this thread. Hurray I have a fan now. With your lifestyle these are the only changes I would suggest this week. Let me know the change in weight.

1. Shift to starch less rice completely. You need to boil rice 3 times and drain. Till all the starch is removed. Put the rice in a pan and add lots of water and boil, when the water starts boiling and the white froth accumulates drain, repeat the process 3 times (or more if rice is not cooked). This type of rice is good for weight loss but not for kids, remember this.

2. Try getting in more veggies and salad. Cook veggies in less oil. More veggies and salad is for compensating for boiled starch less oil.

3. Can you exercise for 30 minutes of Elliptical. Try making it 5 times a week. Try being regular on weekends and then 3 days on weekdays.

Your diet is fine, with less weight we need to aim for less calories. this week give this a try and see the weight loss. BTW, how much weight do you want to loose.

4. Please avoid outside food and fried stuff.

Let me know your weight next week.

Hope this helps.

Lots of love