1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

A weight loss success story

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 12, 2010.

1. sri112

sri112 Junior IL'ite

Shiva,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I love sprouts bhel, but the fact is i have no time to prepare it in the morning before leaving for work.Hence in such cases roasted peanuts come handy.Moreover as I am already having fruit once in the day I tired to give my diet more variation by including peanuts. Any other alternative for the mid-morning or evening snack other than fruit/peanuts for which no cooking is required?

Sri

2. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear K2S,

Its a pleasure to see you on this thread. It was you who suggested I should start it and see how much it has grown.

1. Daliya - Its cracked wheat. Its a better option than a wheat flour because the carbohyderate structure is not broken much in it. Try to get a daliya which is not finely grounded. More granular it is the better the nutrient quantity. I pressure cook daliya. I add ajwain and til seeds to it to give it a crunchy feel. Sometimes I add finely chopped carrots and bottle gourd pieces. Daliya usually serve as a replacement of rice. So, you can have it with curry or dhal.

You can also stir fry dalia with veggies. Just the way we make fried rice. So, make daliya separately, stir fry veggies in a pan and mix the daliya.

You can make daliya kichadi. 1 Cup daliya, half cup dhal, veggies of your choice. Pressure cook. Once cook add a tsp of ghee.

These are the few ways I make daliya. I have baked a whole wheat bread also, and there I had added 1 cup cooked daliya to it. The bread is dense but really tasty. SO if you are interested in bread baking sneak in cooked daliya in your breads.

2. Oats and Wheat Roti - I use quaker oats. The normal ones that we cook in hot milk. SO for this you need equal amount of Oats and wheat flour and make a dough. The rotis come out to be very soft and have a delicious taste. No need to grind the oats, they are delicate and mix well with the wheat flour and water.

3. Exercise - What you do is what karan Johar did when he wanted to lose weight :). I had read his interview and would tell you that story here. Karan was extremly over weight. Once he told John Abraham that he wants to lose weight but is easily bored with exercise. SO John went to the trade mil and switched it on and started walking on it. They were chatting for 10 minutes. Then he said "This is what it all takes 10 minutes on a trade mil to lose weight". So Karan did his cardio on different machine but for 10 minutes each. Its a good way to challenge the body and keep yourself from getting bored. I myself have started the gym now (to push the last 9 kgs :)). I do 20 minutes of different cardio machines, this way I end up doing more cardio exercise.

One more thing, there is a pilate class here about which I have heard so much. I am not able to join it because of the distance, but this what they make people do. They make you do several short exercises, each for 5 minutes for an hour. So you are doing different exercises in one hour, you don't feel bored and you are continuously moving. At the end of an hour people are exhausted and of course they burn lot of calories. It makes sense to me to train that way (doing cario for short period of time, continuously moving and changing machines). Once you are accustomed to this type of training start with the circuit schedule, that is also fun.

Enjoy your workout K2S and if you have any more doubts feel free to come back.

Hope this helps.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

3. shivachoubey

Hi Sri,

Check out the Goody Bag here.

The Goody Bag - IndusLadies

You can keep it in your desk and have a handful as snack.

This can be kept in your office desk and stays for days. Try it out. It does have peanuts but because other healthy stuff are also there.

regards

4. LavanyaCT

LavanyaCT New IL'ite

Hi Shiva,

I am really inspired to read your blog as well as your reply to all posts ! I am also very happy that I have got people to motivate me in reducing my weight :)

Its really amazing that you lost around 19 kgs of weight ! Hats off for that ! :thumbsup

Let me give a small intro about my weight loss goal. My height is 5'1'' and I weigh around 68 Kgs. I was around 65 but I was on a US trip for around 1.5 months lately and I had to eat non veg there frequently because of which I think I have put on weight.

I am planning to reach my ideal weight slowly and steadily. My wedding is on June so i wanna be atleast 62 at that time (which I think is practically possible). Here goes my diet plan (started from today).

6 AM - Wake up
    6.20 to 7.25 - Walking for 45 mins, Skipping (100 times), 10 mins of abs exercises
    8.45 AM - Breakfast - Special K Oats with 250 ml of milk
    11 AM -1 apple
    1 PM - Lunch - 2 cups of rice with sambar, rasam, curd, cabbage poriyal and some fryums ( i know i have to cut down this !! ) + 200 ml of buttermilk
    4 PM - small cup of tea
    8 PM - Dinner- 50 gms of boiled green moong dhal + 1/2 watermelon

Throughout the day I had around 2 litres of water and planning to increase it more. Basically my work is of sedentary type and I have to take lunch at my office canteen.

Pls let me know If i have to correct anywhere.

Thanks,
    Lavanya

5. shivachoubey

Dear Lavyana,

Welcome to the thread. Your diet seems fine, just keep a record of your weight. Weigh yourself every week to know the progress. Make sure to wear proper shoes and bra while skipping.

All the best for your weight loss. Let us know the progress.

regards

6. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Thank you Shiva! That helped a lot. I want to try Oats/Wheat flour rotis sometime soon. And I never knew that I think like a celebrity too!! :).

And hey, the success of this thread is YOU and you are doing an awesome job helping everyone.
    Keep it up and hope you are keeping well and getting to your goal. I need to check what is happening on the other Confessions thread. Bye for now.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  7. deepthijv

deepthijv Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shiva,

Thank u so much for ur suggestions

I went to the gym yesterday, did 30mns Elliptical Trainer, 15mns threadmill, abs, squats and lots of stretches. There is a abs machine in our gym so i did 50 counts on that machine. Felt very good

I have taken 2 egg whites yesterday for protein as doc mentioned. And my diet as usual

After wakeup: cinnamon and honey drink
    Breakfast: 1 big glass papaya juice, 8 almonds and 2 prunes
    Mid morning: 1 apple
    Lunch: 1 1/2 jowar roti with egg curry (only white)
    Snack: 1 bowl watermelon and papaya
    After workout: 1 Jowar roti
    I also had a small cup of coffee at 3:30pm.

Today i started to have horse gram and jeera drink as some ILite mentioned which helps in weight loss (i stopped having cinnamon and honey drink). Lets see how it works.

Have a nice day

Deepthi

8. shivachoubey

Hey K2S,

Glad you liked the idea of oats wheat roti. And dear you not only think like a celeb but you are one too (everyone on IL knows you :)).

Have a great day ahead.

regards

9. shivachoubey

Dear deepthi,

Your diet and workout both rock. I am sure you will see great results soon. Let us know the progress.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

10. LavanyaCT

LavanyaCT New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply Shiva. A small doubt. Can I continue my dieting and exercising during menstrual periods as well ? Normally I get stomach pain for 1 or 2 days during the periods. Pls let me know if it is advisable to carry on with the exercise/diet if i dont get any stomach pain.

Thanks,
    Lavanya