1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Buttermilk Benefits?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by nivedhita, May 25, 2009.

1. nivedhita

nivedhita Senior IL'ite

Dear ladies,

Can you explain the benefits of drinking buttermilk out of your own experience. I want personal experiences as how buttermilk has benefited you. I am trying to lose weight and sometimes i feel I should replace tea and coffee by buttermilk... What is your opinion? Can i add curry leaves in the form of powder and drink it...

Thanks for your time

luv
    niv

2. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

dear nivi ,

i use to take buttermilk [salted & masala , not the sweet one] only during summers , coz you know its a coolant & a homeremedy for indigestion.

i use to gulpdown some methi seeds with B.M to relieve stomach pain.
    weightloss ppl can go for low fat buttermilk. nivi , i tell you onething - avoiding anything totally & using anything excessively ...... both are not good.

there are also some benefits of taking tea & coffee other than its bad effects....... even many life saving drugs also have got some side effects.
    soooo....... taking 1 or 2 cups of tea /coffee perday is not at all harmful.yes , i agree tea is more beneficial than coffee.

coming to your question , in my opinion , the substitute for coffee/tea is ------ plain MILK & any JUICE. i cant even imagine myself carrying B.M cup in the dawn & dusk instead of a energetic smoking hot drinks. B.M can be had only during sunny hours like mid morning and defnly cannot be the substitute for hot drinks. what about having herbal tea?

3. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Niv,

I used to make buttermilk in the morning and i will keep it in the fridge. I used to add curry leaves( I will crush fresh curry leaves with stone salt and mix it with butter milk. this will give very good smell for the butter milk), asfetida powder, salt in that.

If you want you can make a seasoning in that by using mustard seeds and curry leaves.

Tips to make buttermilk:

you can add dried and powdered pudina leaves and drink.

Or you can add dried and powdered curry leaves in that.

Or you can add finely chopped coriander leaves in that.

Or you can add 1/2 spoon ground ginger paste in 1 lt buttermilk.

By doing this you will get many types and flavors of buttermilk and you will not get bored to drink it.

Since you are in Chennai you can take through out the year, without any problem na?

If you want to replace coffee / tea no problem you can do it. All the best for your weight reduction journey:thumbsup.

4. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

I think butter milk is a thirst quencher and prevents dehydration.I mix sour curds with ( one kator) with 12 glasses of water and add a spoon of lime juice and salt and keep drinking through out the day. It contains less fat and good for people who are looking for weight reduction. If we keep drinking that our craving for munching snacks also reduces.
    manchitra

5. malli200

malli200 Bronze IL'ite

I dont think u should avoid tea and coffee for butter milk. U can get headaches initially. However, it is up to u. Anyway, butter milk is very good for everyone. U can flavour it with curry leaves, hing, and jeera powder. Since u r in chennai, u can take it through out the year.

6. nivedhita

nivedhita Senior IL'ite

Dear sadhu,krishnamma,manchitra and malli

Thanks for taking time to reply... ur tips are helpful..

luv
    niv

7. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Nivi...

I prefer having buttermilk after lunch or dinner..... Yes the salty one not the sweet.... Some people say take buttermilk without salt too.... but I can't enjoy that, so I don't it like that. I prefer just a pinch of salt. Sometimes a pinch of roasted jeera powder adds a wonderful flavour to it.

You could try adding a bit of green chutney to the buttermilk. It tastes wonderfully Yummy!

If you want to have buttermilk instead of tea or coffee, it's good.

You could try GREEN TEA instead of Tea or coffee!

8. Anus

Anus Bronze IL'ite

My friend looks so thin,but she eats much.I asked her diet plan and found out that every evening she will take one very big glass of curd without adding water.since it is home made,it wont be very thick.She gets enough protein and hence not adding weight.

9. Bambli

Bambli Gold IL'ite

Dears ,
    my gyne have advised me to take milk since i'm a vegetarian and i will be in TTC treatment soon.
    And Since i need to reduce my weight, he suggested me to drink buttermilk i/o milk.

Here is some infos i got from the net.. would like to share with you guys !!
    hope u can get some info from this article and calorie count

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 9px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; WIDTH: 46px; PADDING-TOP: 6px; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px" width=46>[​IMG]<TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0px; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px" width="100%">Is buttermilk fattening?

Buttermilk is lower in fat and calories than regular milk because the fat from buttermilk has already been removed to make butter. It is high in potassium, vitamin B12 and calcium. Buttermilk is more easily digestible than whole milk and it also contains more lactic acid than skim milk. Due to being more easily digestible (a result of the bacteria added to the milk), protein and calcium can be taken up more easily by the body. There are 99 kilocalories and 2.2 grams of fat in one cup of buttermilk (fat content may be different with some buttermilk brands), as opposed to whole milk that has 157 kilocalories and 8.9 grams of fat. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

it is a misconception amongst many people that buttermilk contains a high fat amount. This is totally wrong and untrue. Just because its name has ‘butter’ does not mean that buttermilk contains fat. In fact, buttermilk contains even lesser amount of fat than the regular milk because all the fat is contained in butter, which is another compound obtained after churning cream. Buttermilk is highly effective in reducing the amount of heat in our body. Therefore, people consume buttermilk in large quantity during the summer season. Also, people facing problems with digestion are advised to consume buttermilk with a small amount of rock salt as it is easy to digest. It is worth mentioning that buttermilk is rich in potassium, Vitamin B12, phosphorus and calcium. Lactic acid is another vital ingredient of buttermilk, which is produced by lactic acid bacteria and this helps us in keeping our immune system stronger.
    Because of all such benefits, many times physicians advise patients to consume buttermilk instead of milk as it contains less fat, calories and skim milk. And the best part is that one can consume buttermilk anytime – as a drink, which is refreshing and healthy!

buttermilk.JPG

10. Satyasri

Satyasri Senior IL'ite

hi nivedhitha,

i like drinking buttermilk.It reduces the dehydration and i take it in-between.We should drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.If i feel bore drinking 10 glasses just replace few glasses with butterermilk.i prepare from a low fat milk and adding salt and some jeera and some times ginger.