1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Know your bread!!!

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Nitha J, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Dear all,
    This post is the result of a chat I had with one of my friends. She told me that she is on "bread diet" and I asked her which bread she takes? She replied " our normal white bread yaar":).
    Believe me when I tell you that you won't loose weight if you are taking normal white sandwich bread. You have to take either whole grains bread or 100% whole wheat bread.
    As you know bread flour (for both types of bread) comes from wheat berries. The 100% whole wheat bread uses its bran(outermost layer), germ(innermost) and its endosperm(which is the starchy part in between). Now don't get shocked when I tell you that white bread uses only endosperm, ie the starchy part. So no wonder it does not help us in our weightloss endeavours.
    According to the research done by washington university you can reduce heart disease risk by 20%, if you switch from white bread to whole grain bread.
    - Nitha

Admin Note: Here are other discussions on bread

Brown... Brown..
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-food-and-living/108760-5-products-you-thought-were.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/80224-is-wholemeal-bread-healthy.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/forward-messages-and-jokes/145856-how-does-wood-your-bread.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-food-and-living/201020-which-bread-is-better.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi Nitha,
    I find the bread here fattening -white or brown.Also check in the ingredients - please do not get bread which has "high fructose corn syrup".Limit bread usage.Idli/dosa is healthier alternative.

3. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Why whole grain bread or 100% whole wheat bread and not whole wheat bread ?

When we buy bread make sure it is 100% whole wheat bread. The labels are always tricky. They say it is whole wheat bread and we buy it without looking behind (I mean the nutritional fact/ingredient list printed behind the pack):).
    The whole wheat bread is the mixture of enriched white flour and wheat flour. If you feel a little relaxed when you read the word "enriched ", wait...
    " Don't be fooled by the term "enriched flour," because only four vitamins and minerals are added back, compared to the15 lost, along with most of the fiber and other beneficial substances like antioxidants".
    So if you eat more refined products like white flour, the chances of elevated blood sugar are high. You can read it here http://www.womenfitness.net/ugly_truths.htm
    So when buying bread try to buy whole grain bread or 100% whole wheat bread.
    Do two things to make sure you are buying the right bread (that is what I do). If you buy wheat bread
    1. Check the ingredient list. The first ingredient should be "whole wheat".
    2. Check the nutrition fact, behind the pack) and see the dietary fibres one serving has. One serving = 2 bread (some brands it is one bread). A good bread has atleast 3 gms dietary fibre in 1 serving . Thats the one we need. A woman b/w age- group 19 -50 needs 25 gms fibre per day and a man of the same age group needs 38 grams. Know more here Dietary Fiber

Hope this helps you.
    - Nitha

4. AlameluP

AlameluP New IL'ite

Dear Nitha,

I find that I am able to consistently lose weight by cutting all rice consumtion after lunch; and by switching to brown bread sandwiches/rotis for tea/dinner.

Its really helping me lose pounds, when I follow it strictly.

5. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Supriya, I do agree with you. Limit the use of high fructose or corn syrup based products. I use whole grain bread. When making idali or dosa, I make it with matta rice. That way it is more healthy.
    - Nitha

6. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Alamelu,
    I have read that many people substitute whole grain breads for rice. Look what I found for you.

"Is bread a good substitute for rice? Exactly what benefits do we get from eating bread?
    For those who are managing their weight, bread is a good substitute for rice. A cup of rice has 200 calories, 45g of carbohydrates, and less than a gram of fiber, compared to two slices of Walter High Fiber Helps Weight Control Bread, which has 150 calories, 30g of carb, and 4g of fiber. More fiber for less of the calories and carbs. With rice, one tends to overeat, specially when the viands are delicious while with bread, you get to consume a more controlled portion. For sandwiches, we usually have vegetables as fillings which make the meal healthier. Bread is a better food choice, more so for people on the go".

Source : http://library.pchrd.dost.gov.ph/index.php/health-news/591/1171
    Alamelu, I am a pakka southie. I don't feel I had food if I didn't lunch rice:). So I take brown rice instead of white rice.
    - Nitha

7. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Friends,
    Two good things about our white bread;
    1. It is soft and tasty. No wheat sandwich will beat the taste of white bread. But what to do, white bread is nutritionally light- weight.
    2. White bread has more calcium than wheat bread particularly if it is made with milk. So if your kiddo's are willing to eat wheat bread, do give them additional calcuim foods to supplement like milk, egg etc.:thumbsup
    - Nitha

8. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi Nitha,
    You are discussing about my favourite topic.:).When eating white-bread please make sure(both kids and adult) take additional high-fiber diet and lots of fluid..Else it results in severe constipation.

Shall we discuss about various brands available here.

My favourite
    Bread without HFCS(High fructose corn syrup)

Arnold products.

Please add the list if you know any bread brand that meets the above criteria.

Others(these contain HFCS)

Wonder brand

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  9. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Supriya,
    My all time fav is Ultimate Grains "All natural Whole grains". 2 slices of it has 83% of recommended daily intake of whole grains. Plus one slice has 3 gms dietary fibre. No HFCS. It comes in diff flavours too. What more can you ask?
    Sup, I like Arnold brand too and also Dutch county 100% whole wheat bread.
    - Nitha

10. Bujji

Bujji Bronze IL'ite

Nitha and Supriya

You people helped me to be aware of bread usage.
    Thanks for that.

I switched to wheat bread but not knowing the facts in that, like HFCS.
    Guess the brand name is "natural", but not sure.
    Will post , next time when I get that.