1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Replacement for white rice

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by miss_pessimist, Jan 22, 2009.

1. miss_pessimist

miss_pessimist New IL'ite

Hi All,
    I keep reading that eating whole grains is better and that enriched(processed) rice is the worst forms of grains and contains lot of carbs too..being a south indian rice is a vital part of our diets..can some one suggest what other healthy replacements can we make instead of having rice?
    Also how to curb those cravings...:crazy
    Thanx,
    SP

Admin Note: You may also like to read the following relevant discussions

Know Your Calories
    Health Weight Gain
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/nature-cure/12576-eating-chapathi-roti.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...52-some-info-thoughts-weightloss-healthy.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013

2. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Hi SP,

You do not have to give up on rice totally..The more you crave, the more you are going to indulge at some point of time. You can have brown rice instead of white rice, use cracked wheat, whole wheat, quinoa, couscous. Try to do a portion control instead of cutting it out totally( if you really like it a lot)

Cheers
    L

3. Victoryman

Victoryman Senior IL'ite

I second with L.......Cracked wheat is the best alternative for white rice...

4. Phalguni

Phalguni Bronze IL'ite

Hi SP,
    Brown rice and rosematta rice are the best alternatives.Par boiled rice(ukda chaval) contains much more nutrients than white rice as it is processed differently.Oats taste almost like white rice when eaten with sambar or rasam.I regularly eat it and don't miss white rice one bit.

Happy healthy eating:thumbsup

5. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I usually eat cracked wheat instead of white rice. Since I am the only person in my family eating cracked wheat, I know exactly how much I am eating. I do not miss white rice at all.
    In fact I tend to overeat with white rice. I did try oats but I personally did not find it very satiating.

6. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Hi Phalguni,

I agree with you on the oats part! I love oats with rasam sambar and what not. Infact I do not eat sambar with rice at all..I just hate it! Go Oats!

7. soumyasen

soumyasen New IL'ite

Dear lakshmi, can you say me how you prepare couscus.

Thanks.

8. GTS

GTS New IL'ite

You shouldnt be cutting out totally on rice....2 small tea cups of cooked rice in a day is perfectly fine even for diabetics.

There is no single food item that has it all! Conversely...it is true that no food item is totally bad for your health...so thats where the concept of a 'balanced diet' comes in!

9. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

We cant cut off rice completely. I am a south Indian too. I eat chapathis along with dinner to reduce the amount of rice. In that way rice quantity is reduced and wheat makes it more healthy.I have reduced eating rice but not left eating rice. I havent gained any weight doing this but lost a lot of weight. You can try this too.Good Luck.

10. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Couscous

Hi Soumya ,

This is how I cook couscous.
    1 cup -couscous
    1.5 cups- water/broth
    Salt and pepper to taste

A dash of Olive oil

Mix the couscous with olive oil and salt and pepper..
    Boil the water/broth..Add couscous, mix well..Close the lid and turn off the heat after 3-4 minutes. Let it stand fo 10-12 minutes. Open the lid and fluff with a fork.
    I add a log of sauteed o baked veggies to it!( Zucchini, onion, bell pepper, eggplants)
    Or you can make a cold channa and couscous salad...

Hope this helps..

Lekshmi