1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Excercise during periods

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by vindhiya, Oct 21, 2008.

1. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Yeah , even I have heard that doing excercises during periods will harm us.Please give us more info on this.

2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Hello, Shvap

I'm sure elders have their reasons for saying what they do. As I've said, I'm not sure what these are, so I can't say whether they may be right. It's probably best for women to do whatever makes them feel comfortable as individuals.

Personally, I have always felt better about myself generally, and during menstruation specifically, if I've been keeping up with some sort of regular exercise programme (swimming, walking, yoga). It's also been my experience that I hardly experience cramps at all if I've been keeping fit. Gentle stretching or yoga on the days just before and during a period are also of great help.

If we think about it logically, all a period is is the sloughing off of the lining of the uterus that has formed in anticipation of pregnancy. When your body realises it is not pregnant, all the blood and tissue that has formed in preparation for incubating of the foetus has to be ejected from the body. It is not a time of illness or particular vulnerability in a woman's cycle, so there is no need to take any special precautions. Whatever a person does normally, can be done quite safely during a period as well.

I am not a medical doctor, so please be aware that these are my opinions and impressions based on my experiences, as well as reading about this topic. I'm merely stating what works for me, and not trying to force my views on others. I have heard of some women, who suffer from anaemia, becoming weaker during or just after their periods due to the loss of blood and resultant loss of iron. The best thing to do would be to speak to your doctor before embarking on any new exercise programme. Obviously, if you are feeling weak, headachy, or otherwise unwell during your period, it may not be the best idea to suddenly throw yourself into a new exercise routine.

If you would like to read more, here are some links.

Article of the Week

Normal Menstrual Cycle Overview: What is a Menstrual Cycle?

You could also Google this topic yourself (which is where I found the above links) and see what you find. I hope this helps to clarify issues a bit.

Ansuya

3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    During the period times heavy exercises should not be done.
    But walking and light exercises can be done. It will improve your
    circulation and adjust the mood swings. I used to do simple yoga
    exercises during the periods ( but not on the heavy flow days).
    It helps me to relieve my stress and improves the circulation. Light breathing exercises can also do done.
    But we should avoid any inversion like sarvangasana and sirasasana.

4. drjp

drjp Senior IL'ite

I suffer with more PMS, stomach and back pains if I do not work out around those days. Routinely, I go to gym atleast 3 times a week and I try to keep up that routine. If for some reason I do not work out, I suffer from cramps and heavy bleedingWitsend I do not know why?

5. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI anusya..

bonk I just saw this... thanks for detailed explanation... i'll go through the links as well... thank you so much...

6. PinkRubies

PinkRubies Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi all

Anusya i found ur post very interesting and helpful

being born in Aus my mum always taold me not to xcercise wen i had my periods but at school my pe techer would tell me it was better to excercise during my periods i was always torn.

i can only manage short amounts of less intense excersise as i will get tired very quickly :)

♥ Ruby

7. sainirav

sainirav New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I have heard from my yoga teacher here that you can continue doing yoga except for the ones that crunch or put pressure on your abdomen.

Thanks
    Sai Nirav

8. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

One can exercise doing periods. It depends upon your body too.If the periods are too paiful,then refrain from it.Otherwise mild exercises will be very good in elevating your mood,prevent menstrual cramps,excessive bloating etc etc.Exercise for about 20-25 mnts during periods.

9. priyametlife

priyametlife New IL'ite

Thank u Ansuya for that informative piece of information...:thumbsup

10. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Vahee, Ruby, and Priya

Forgive my late acknowledgement, I'd forgotten all about this thread. I'm glad that you found my post helpful, and I hope all you ladies are keeping well (especially at "that" time of the month!).