1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Keep fit - october round ups!

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Laks09, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'm not sure what everyone here thinks of an index thread that changes monthly. I was looking at updating the index thread for this forum and realized that there are too many out there. How do I showcase everyone of these gems? What if I miss some? What if I don't give a thread the due credit it deserves? As these thoughts crossed my mind, I realized that it isn't fair to have a static sticky up there that does justice to all the fabulous effort you all put in here. It has to be updated monthly. By doing this, I not only will be able to highlight different threads each month but I can also have you, the forum users suggest what I can have up in the sticky section. Please PM me with recommendations for sticky threads. Lets open up this new initiative with the following threads that I have picked for the month of October! Good luck fitness enthusiasts!

What do I eat today? I know exactly the amount of calories that 1/2 a cup of rice constitutes but I'm just bored of eating rice. I can go to @shanvy's http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...hape/241203-indian-lunch-ideas-sans-rice.html and find a nice plate for me, sometimes my very own forgotten recipe! This thread has pages and pages of pictures that help people like me see "what" and "how much" two very important concepts while losing weight and keeping it away. All the contributors to this thread get the wheels turning in my head and I have come up with so many innovative recipes thanks to this thread. Note to self, start posting here again! You all should too, posting a picture here makes you want to take the effort to put the right food in your plate and in your body.

I've always wanted to find motivation to be able to add in some strength training workouts to alternate with my runs. I think this thread that started as a one month alternate cardio/strength motivator has come a long way. It has been in the forums for a year now and is still a favorite for many. Look no further for daily workout motivation, join @SGA and friends on this forum favorite - http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...cardio-strength-trainning-alternate-days.html
    @SGA - I know you are battling an injury but I've seen you and know how you bounce back, hope you are able to slowly get back to where you were prior to your injury quickly.

Busy to exercise today? Let's try for a weekly average of 150 mins, shall we? @sunNaa is a doc herself and is also a proponent of eat better not lesser(or something to that effect, I don't remember the exact statement).
    Join SunNaa and pals http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...ape/266660-150-minutes-exercise-per-week.html
    When it's hard to make a start we often wonder where and how. This thread, with a basic three days a week, 30 mins a day requirement is the where. How can be the couch to 5k or fitness blender, Leslie Sansone or just walking. Beginners and those in maintenance mode should find this thread helpful!

I've always derived motivation from others who have walked the same journey and awe at their weight loss success. We have a lot of success stories out here, some I have found and others I haven't. I will be highlighting one or two every month. This month, I would like to have you all read the one that made the most impact on me. The person that told me what I was doing wrong, not measuring what I put in my diet and then wondering what was wrong. @shivachoubey has done it all so that we don't have to reinvent the wheel. From measuring foods, to finding reliable simple meal recipes, Shiva has helped a lot of us begin the journey and sustain it. Shiva's blog here on IL is a must read for anyone wanting to go on a diet and sustain the weight loss for years on end - IndusLadies - FatChickGoesSlim - Blogs.

I have left the best for the last. This is my personal favorite. This thread is where I recorded my journey of weight loss and the last bit of weight came off here.
    Most of the times, I don't have the energy or enthusiasm to keep a thread going. I lose interest and have no motivation to continue. Thank you @sridevi1977 for doing this for me and others like me - http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...pe/277920-buddies-required-lose-kg-month.html
    Sri, you started this initiative a while ago and keep it going, month after month! We truly appreciate this effort.

I have many more such threads to post here and will do so in a staggered manner!

11 people like this.

2. SGA

SGA IL Hall of Fame

@laks

Thanks Dear .... I have plantar fascia tear ... But managing to do 30min workout aleast to maintain my weight ..... Started eating better .... lets see where i reach

1 person likes this.
  3. Laks09

SGA - I'm sure you will do good. Take care of the plantar fascia tear and don't re-injure yourself!

1 person likes this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thought provoking thread Laks dear, when I just read the first para only I first went and nominated and then came here. Usually I dont come to fitness thread but when I saw your post felt like reading it. Good going . You need a heart to appreciate other people, that you have so much in you and a great heart

1 person likes this.
  5. Laks09

Thank you Viji Aunty for stepping in here and for the nomination. Thanks for making my week by telling me that I have a good heart!
    I'm happy to see you here. We love high energy visitors and you are definitely one of those people. Please keep coming and definitely share any recipes or tips you have for the fitness enthusiasts!

1 person likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Laks

I am not so good in giving tips for fitness but I can tell you what I feel since you have given me the opportunity to tell my views. I feel to be fit we have to be healthy and to be healthy we have to eat in time and healthy food. In my life till 50 yrs or so I have always been thin and one of my colleague where I was working told me also and made me feel sad saying you are very thin so you wont be able to conceive. But then I conceived and not one I had 3 children in the gap of 3 and half years. By that time that colleauge left our Company and I told my friend who used to meet her to tell her that I have 3 children. I dont being thin has any connection with conceiving , actually that helps in so many things , you dont get exhausted fast, you can fit in anywhere I mean in the bus, car or any vehicle because thin people dont occupy much space. We should eat in time but now since few years I dont have my breakfast in time but I have my lunch in time and have it enjoying it , so make dishes which I like the most and evening I dont feel hungry, only sometimes I crave to eat something, especially during monsoon. Young people should have breakfast in time and have a healthy breakfast thats what I feel. Only after 50 yrs I put on a little weight, I think that was due to menopause. I had hip bone fracture in 1991 and had four operations due to which I feel tired fast now a days and cant work continuously, otherwise by God's grace I am strong and able to do my work independently. Children being abroad I have to do the work alone though maid is there to help in some things, brooming, swabbing.

Sorry for the long post

3 people like this.
  7. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite

Accursed me! I can't believe why I've forsworn "like" during such fecund times. Is that not a stand-in for express-act like I go to FP forum to nominate something and read Viji's nomination above and click on the link and reach here. Hitherto all I had to do was press "LIKE" to express my hoot to your initiative. These days I end up pecking at keyboard like a dehydrated jerboa because I need to keep laboriously talking talking and not briskly liking liking. After all, this is a fitness thread with people burning, shedding, melting and hulling out of their former mothy selves into anew winged selves.

What the heck! How can I complain about aching fingers and twitching rashes from typing to enthusiasts of bending muscles and breaking fitness goals As such I belt out so much, tapping away some more hoot-toot-toot will not harm my dainty fingers

Rock away with your Oktoberfest!

1 person likes this.