1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Need tips on what to do and not do in gym

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by chaaral, Sep 5, 2015.

1. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    This is the first time i enrolled in a gym. i see ppl doing lots of stuff and i feel so nervous and shy.

can some one give me tips on how to maximize the resources available and specially what not to do.

when to use steam and sauna? how often can we use it?

there are so many group classes and found out that i cannot walk in late. need to be there on time.

what to eat before and after gym?

just too confusing what to do and how to go about. overwhelming and feel like quitting. any help, suggestion?

Thanks!

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I used to use weight machines and rowing machine when I was younger and my tips are based on my experiences.

Work into everything at a slowish pace. When you do reps do on a lighter weight and then do more. As you get to higher weights then you will do less reps. But if you feel that you are losing your appetite then you are overexercising. Cut back if happens.

One tip I was given by some famous bodybuilder that gave a class that I took: Eat a piece of fruit or drink fruit juice within 20 minutes of exercising. This will take care of a lot of muscle soreness issues. Must be within 20 minutes. I used to drink V8 juice.

You should not take a meal before you exercise...do it after.

The one thing that I think about now regarding the mania to exercise is that as we age too much exercise may catch up with you. I have had a knee replacement and headed for a second one in the not too distant future. Trust me....knee replacements hurt like hell and you have a lot to do to rehab them.

3. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

No No....please don't quit.

First, Get good sports shoes and good fit bra (wearing regular bra will hurt after a while). You can find some good sport bras at target, walmart, sears etc

Start slowly..use an elliptical. They are very easy to use. Choose a program and see how you do. Increase or decrease pace accordingly.

Be to the classes on time. If they have step, plilates, zumba..take them. They are fun classes.

I typically do not eat atleast 1 hr before gym. After gym I just relax and take buttermilk.

Steam and sauna helps you sweat and open pores. If you use it frequently, you will lose weight...BUT it is water weight..70% of our weight is from water in our body. You will lose some of it..but you are not losing fat (that is the weight we want to lose). If you do steam and sauna...make sure you drink a lot of water after. I suggest don't use it often.

Do you have a friend u can take to the gym? If not..don't be alarmed...start slowly with cardio exercises and once you feel ok, combine that with weight training.

I can PM you couple of videos on weight training..let me know if you would like that

4. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi Tina,
    thanks for the suggestions. I will try rowing machine, i just tried 5 lbs wts, those small ones for each hand and that itself was too much, so will slowly increase.
    Hope you recover quickly from ur knee replacement.

5. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi Jazmine,
    Thanks for the tips. would love to chk the videos on weight training. pls do send them. i dont want to loose wt but would like to maintain my wt. i am on the thinner side but have a muffin top after 2 kids. so trying to do some core strengthening which i have no clue. tried pushups which i can never do.
    no buddy for going to gym which is a big disadvantage. but i still want to try my best.

should i do steam and sauna after excersing in the gym? i wont do often but just want to try it since it is there.

6. Arshee

Arshee New IL'ite

What would you define as too much exercise? I recently started going to gym so I would like to know how to prevent knee problems.

7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Sounds like you have recently signed up at this gym. Next time go to the front desk and tell them you just joined and would like a tour of the facilities. They will assign someone who will show you all the equipment, how to use it, what is used for which body part, what weights or level you should start at etc. In addition they will go over any classes they offer and describe what is done in each class. Swim hours, gym hours, daycare hours all will be covered. You can also ask them any questions.