1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Please check my diet and exercise to see where I am going wrong or what I can tweak

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by krozwindz, Mar 29, 2015.

1. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

I weigh 91 kgs and after 21 days of watching what I eat and exercising moderately, I am still the same weight. I have subclinical hypothyroidism and have always found it hard to drop kgs. I have been here before , but I aim too high or just give up after I see no change in me and then become a silent reader of this forum.
    But this time I decided I will continue and forget about the scale for 3 months.
    I am trying to see the number of days I worked out as a motivation, rather than worry about dropping of the weight. But that’s easier said then done.

So now after 21 days, I have typed down what I eat and what I exercise. Please tell me if you see any red flags that are hindering my weightloss and what I can change or tweak to make it more effective.
    Some general things:

1. I drink more than 2 lts water everyday.
    2. I use official measuring cups for measuring ( the kind you get to buy for making cakes)
    3. I don’t take water with my meals but leave a 30 min break after the meal and 15 min break before the meal.
    4. Stretch for 15 min after every workout video which I have not included in the list below.
    5. I sleep for 2 .5 hours in the afternoon ( I know its bad, but that’s next in trying to change), and 7 hrs in the night
    Diet -

Morning (7 am) – 1 glass hot water with lemon and honey, and I cup Triphala powder soaked water only for a week.
    Breakfast (9 am)- 3 brown bread , 1 of which I put butter, 1 egg poach
    Or
    2 roti with omlette
    Or
    ½ cup cornflakes (measuring cup)with ¼ cup home made yoghurt, salt and 1 small fist haldiram bhujia
    Or
    3 tablespoon oats made upma style with lots vegetables and water to make it soup consistency.
    Plus
    1cup black coffee without sugar

11am – I skip this most days. Sometimes half guava or half cucumber

Lunch (1 pm) – ½ cup cooked rice ( measuring cup), ½ cup dal, ½ sabzi (sometimes 2 sabzi or 1 sabzi with chicken gravy or 1 small fish piece)
    Seven seas tab or vit c tab ( Limcee) after lunch

Evening (5 pm) – 1 cup green tea without sugar or during weekend milk tea with 1 teaspoon sugar

Any one of the next - 1 big katori masala muri with cucmber and onion / ½ cup chiwda(store bought)/ 2 thin arrowroot bicuit/ 2 methi swali (around 150 cal as per pack)

Dinner( 830 pm) – 1 cup dal with 2 table spoon sabzi with or without 1 roti depending on if I am hungry.( I used to have1 cup or more rice again before or 2 rotis)
    Or
    1 cup tomato soup with 1 spoon dalia added to it

I cup triphala powder soaked water before going to sleep

I have cheated on weekends with home made tehri or chicken yakhni pulao or store bought (1 tandoori roti, 1 piece tandoori chicken, 4 spoons chicken briyani and 2 piece chicken with gravy. TOTAL DAYS I CHEATED ARE 3 days IN 21 days.

Exercise

Week 1 - 2 days no exercise, 1 day 1 mile LS, 4 days 2 mile LS
    Week2 - 1 day no exercise, 1 day 1 mile LS, 1 day 1 mile LS + 30 min yoga, 4 days 2 mile LS
    Week3 - No day exercise missed, 1 day 1 mile LS, 1 day 2 mile LS, 3 days 3miles LS, 3 days 2 miles +10 min cardio infused standing abs

Please help me figure out what i can do better and roughly how much calorie this is. I tried to do it myself but i got confused.
    I am thinking i need a 1500 cal diet , and with even LS 2 mile i burn 200 cal ( at around 200 lbs, i will burn roughly 100 cal per mile)

Thanks
    Aditi

2. sugugiri2010

sugugiri2010 Gold IL'ite

Re: Please check my diet and exercise to see where I am going wrong or what I can twe

Hi Op,

I would prefer having green tea in the morning rather than in evening
    I would avoid non veg all day.. u can have them on weekend(sat or sun), not all days
    stop having chiwda and store bought snacks....
    exercise 5 days a week is fine(1 hour)
    Avoid fats like butter, ghee,yogurt etc...

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Please check my diet and exercise to see where I am going wrong or what I can twe

@krozwindz - I have had the exact same issue. Trying to do everything right and not lose any weight. I think logging on myfitnesspal helped me see that actual number. I was underestimating cals a lot. I was also under eating proteins. After mfp, I hit my protein macros daily, stayed within my cals goal and lost consistently.
    Btw, at 91kgs 1500 total cals is low. I would do 17-1800 and not eat back exercise cals. Or maybe 1500 plus exercise cals on days you exercise.
    I would also not advice cheat days. If you eat at a deficit of 200/300 cals a day, a cheat day can easily offset that number. Maybe have one cheat meal. I logged cheat meals in too. I made sure my weekly averages were not offset by cheat meals.
    The other thing I noted was oil consumption. What I thought was a teaspoon was much more. I started measuring oil with the measuring spoons as well. That helped.
    Chicken and fish are great proteins if cooked right. How are you cooking it? Grilled/baked/boiled with very little oil is what I suggest. Don't go for fries or curries with additional stuff in the gravy.
    Whatever you do, three weeks is too little for any pattern recognition. Try mfp for a month, logging everthing that goes in your mouth including water/multivites etc and look at the data and then decide what you need to change.

4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP
    I looked at your diet. It looked okay to me..You are not overeating. But just to kick start your weight, you can reduce your diet for couple days.

1500 cals diet can not be lived for longer. Trust me, I have been through that path before and again have when I am old. BTW, you did not mention your age/lifestyle/stress etc. That also matters a lot.

And it does need lot of patience...pants stopped buttoning up comes as a surprise but slipping down pants is a luxury for mw

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OP how tall are you? This 1500 calorie limit, how did you arrive at this?
    When i was watching my weight, I completely avoided bread and anything that has flour in it. So, that means, the breads, rotis, naans, pizzas, bagels etc are out. Even muffins were out. That helped me a lot.

I did 1200 at one point and I did fairly well. I was well with in the desired weight range in a matter of 8-12 months. However, remember its extremely hard.

Mostly the lunch and dinner consisted of baked/roasted chicken/fish with a big portion of salad.

6. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

Hello Sugugiri2010
    I have black coffee with breakfast, so i skip the green tea then... Does it really affect that much?
    i avoid butter after the 1st week. Ghee dont have at all. But curd too? I thought that was good and allowed.
    And non veg ??? Chicken and fish are good for weightloss no?
    Love
    Aditi

7. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

Hello Lak09

By cheat days i meant, i cheat meal. And since i am not much into desserts, its just unmeasured quantity of rice, ( it would probably come up to 1 1/4 cup). and they are home made pulao type.
    We use 1 lt of 10 days for a family of 3 adults and 1 5 yr old. By weightloss standard iknow its still a lot, but i am not eating common breakfast and dinner with the family. Dinner is soup or salad this week.Or 1 roti and dal sabzi in a cup size bowl.
    Chicken was light gravy made with onion, garlic and ginger and garam masala and tomato. The gravy is not a thick gravy like the store bought ones.
    Fish is shallow fried and then light gravy made of only jeera tadka, potato and turmeric and salt.( I dont eat the potato). Bengali style fish is normally not over fried crisp. And i am not a big fish eater. So its only 2 times per week.
    I will start MFP, but am scared to see what i will find there :)
    Any other suggections?

8. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

Hello Rakhii

I am 5 ft 2. I am 33 years old. This 1500 limit i calculated directly from internet sites as to how much should be my calorie intake to reduce weight. It says 1400 to 1600. I just took the in between one.
    These food changes that i put up here are after i have cut down on my eating. I dont really know how to come to 1200 now. I will try MFP and let you know.
    I am boiling chicken this week and having a small piece f it every night along with clear tomato carrot soup and 1 roti.
    I dont really want to stop all rice and roti just now. I have around 30 kgs to loose. And I remember Shiva saying long long back that we should let go little by little, so that till near the end we still have some food we can eat. At some further point i do aim to cut down on rice and roti, but for now i bought it down from unlimited rice to 1/2 cup rice and rice in the night to 1 roti for now. Some nights when i can i forgo that and just have salad.
    I just add salt and lemon and no other dressing to the salad. And for salad, i will have cucumbers, 1 tomato and 1 gauva.

9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@krozwindz - I know it's intimidating to track but to know exactly where you need improvement you have to track your intake especially things like rice/oil etc.
    Even for shallow frying and stir frying I was using lots of oil, I would recommend measuring and using only a spoon or so of oil for each dish. Slowly reduce even that.
    Just track and see where you are slipping and you can fix that easily.
    Yogurt/lean meat/fish etc are all ok to take. As long as the fats that go in these things are controlled. Hopefully you are making the yogurt by removing the milk cream.

Added - I just saw your response to Rakhii. At your weight 1200 cals is going to starve you. Stick to 1500 plus exercise cals. See if it helps. Once you come down you will hit a plateau, you can add more exercises or reduce cals then. I don't think you need to start at 1200. Rakhii was probably already close to the healthy BMI range when she started her diet.
    I think eating carbs in moderation is the right way to go. Cutting it all out isn't sustainable in the long run.
    One thing I can suggest is this, are u enjoying the LS walk? From experience only things that you like are the activities you will continue to do even after you do lose all the weight. So try other things too like yoga,swimming etc and see what you love to do. Pick that over the proven weight loss activity and you are bound to stick to it for life.
    Btw, you did mention a thyroid issue. That can throw things off right? Have you had a check up done before you started your diet/exercise regimen and got a green signal from the doc for the same?

Hth,
    L

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

aditi, with 21 days of following this diet were you able to maintain your weight. if so you are on the right track.

but also remember if at 91kgs you limit yourself to 1500 your body would go to <1000 to maintain at say 80kgs..which is very unlhealthy making your body cells believe you are starving. our body cells are more intelligent than us when it comes to this..

i would say eat 1800, burn 300+calories extra. if workingout is difficult you can split the workout into 4/5 parts of 10-15 minutes each..yes you will not have effective burning out as in the case of continuous 1 hour work as in this 10/15 minutes..but you are still working out.

do plan your meals for a couple of days and stick to the menu. you have had the same issues of inconsistency earlier and we all suggested that you need to be more consistent for the effects to happen.

Aditi remember this time around your goal is to play with your girl. have more fun. for that you need to be healthy and not get into the loop of being sick, being tired or anything else.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/204573-agony-trying-do-something-my.html

now go back to all that we had said then, and we all will say the same..

the three c's -control, commitment and consistency is the mantra. the control is on portions control, not dieting and restricting your favorite foods. the comittment is to change your lifestyle to make it a healthy one..and consistency is to keep working..forget the dip in the scale. try to change the way you are looking at weightloss. yes it is a difficult path but you can do it..

Will write more later..

1 person likes this.