1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

150 Minutes of Exercise Per Week

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by SunNaa, Jan 14, 2015.

1. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

A lot has been said about 150 minutes of exercise/week...it may sound a lot at first but it's basically 30 minutes of exercise for 5 days a week...consistency is the key here...

I am going to post my weekly updates in this thread to make sure I do 150 minutes of exercise at least every week! Hope you guys will join me in this!

[h=1]American Heart Association Recommendations for Physical Activity in Adults[/h]
    Being physically active is important to prevent heart disease and stroke, the nation’s No. 1 and No. 5 killers. To improve overall cardiovascular health, we suggest at least 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise or 75 minutes per week of vigorous exercise (or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity). Thirty minutes a day, five times a week is an easy goal to remember. You will also experience benefits even if you divide your time into two or three segments of 10 to 15 minutes per day.

For people who would benefit from lowering their blood pressure or cholesterol, we recommend 40 minutes of aerobic exercise of moderate to vigorous intensity three to four times a week to lower the risk for heart attack andstroke.

[h=3]Physical activity is anything that makes you move your body and burn calories.[/h]This includes things like climbing stairs or playing sports. Aerobic exercises benefit your heart, and include walking, jogging, swimming or biking. Strength and stretching exercises are best for overall stamina and flexibility.The simplest, positive change you can make to effectively improve your heart health is to start walking. It's enjoyable, free, easy, social and great exercise. A walking program is flexible and boasts high success rates because people can stick with it. It's easy for walking to become a regular and satisfying part of life.
    [TABLE]
    [TR="bgcolor: #e1f2e0"]
    [TD="align: left"] [/TD]
    [TD="align: left"]AHA Recommendation

For Overall Cardiovascular Health:

• At least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity at least 5 days per week for a total of 150

OR

• At least 25 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity at least 3 days per week for a total of 75 minutes; or a combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity

AND

• Moderate- to high-intensity muscle-strengthening activity at least 2 days per week for additional health benefits.

For Lowering Blood Pressure and Cholesterol

• An average 40 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity aerobic activity 3 or 4 times per week
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: left"] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    What if I can’t make it to the time goal?
    [h=3]Something is always better than nothing![/h]And everyone has to start somewhere. Even if you've been sedentary for years, today is the day you can begin to make healthy changes in your life. If you don't think you'll make it for 30 or 40 minutes, set a reachable goal for today. You can work up toward your overall goal by increasing your time as you get stronger. Don't let all-or-nothing thinking rob you of doing what you can every day.

2. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

Week 1

12th Jan - 18th Jan

to be updated

3. nigu

nigu Silver IL'ite

Hi Sunnaa ,

Yes 30 Mins seems doable .
    I also feel the same something is better than nothing .

Nigu

geevee68 and SunNaa like this.
  4. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

Welcome Nigu...update after the week ends and see if you have achieved the target of 150 minutes!

5. vidhyabaskar

vidhyabaskar Gold IL'ite

14.1.15 - 20 min fast walk, 2 km covered.

6. deepv

deepv Platinum IL'ite

I did not notice the time in my pedometer .But walked 4 miles.

7. saarang

saarang Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Please count me in...

Jan 14 - 4 miles walk (60 mins)

8. deepv

deepv Platinum IL'ite

Jan 15-60 min walk

9. saarang

saarang Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Jan 15 - 45 minutes (3 miles LS)

10. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for joining in guys!

Don't forget to post the total minutes at the end of the week, that is on Sunday!