1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Winter running

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by sdiva20, Nov 26, 2014.

1. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

Anyone running outdoors in winter? I have been running/walking for a few months and built up my stamina considerable from huffing and puffing doing 2 miles to a 4 -5 mile distance. I have also been doing JM DVD's and have lost a few pounds overall and feel stronger.

I love running outside as opposed to treadmill but with snow outside my window, I need a plan to continue. I would love to hear from those that continue to run outside in winter. My main questiones are:

1. How hard is it to acclimatize to drop in temperature?

2. What kind of running gear is needed?

3. What are some of the challenges? Do you find yourself movitaved in winter ?

Any advice or tips welcome.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Diva,
    I don't live in a highly winterised area but can share what I do. First of all, look for winter running gear. I prefer good quality stuff like under armour or nike. Unlike summer shorts and tanks, where anything goes, winter running gear needs to hold up so pay up for the brands. Invest in good running hats(I love the one with pony tail holders). Get multiple pairs of running gloves/mittens. Layer up but don't overdo it. Last week, we had temps in the 20s and I still made do with running leggings, full sleever and a running jacket over it, hat and gloves. My friend does double sock layers. I can't do that. Neither can I do leg warmers. After the first couple of miles they bother me.
    It wasn't as bad as summer running for me. It didn't take much to acclimatise. Just warm up longer. It takes me ten minutes to not feel the stiffness later on. Also stretch well and foam roll as always afterwards. Try to also dynamic stretch before.

1 person likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Diva,
    I don't run outside but my husband does: rain, shine, sleet or snow. We live in a place with pretty cold winters.
    Layers are important: first on is 'second skin' type of garment, then running pants and a fleece layer on top. If it is windy, then he adds on a windbreaker, and waterproof pants on top if it's drizzling. Good, synthetic socks, hat and gloves are important. He always loads up the iPod with audiobooks. I admire his determination, but he finds the treadmill intolerable. It is reserved only for when the sidewalks are iced up.
    I prefer to do my DVDs at home!

2 people like this.
  4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

One has to be careful when temps are really low and/or lots of windchill. Even just walking and breathing you can frost your lungs....that is one reason that folks wear face masks or scarves over the nose. When it is really cold why don't you mall walk or treadmill or something that does not have those challenges?

(disclaimer: my goal is to never see snow again except in pictures and maybe those will go in the trash pretty quick)

2 people like this.
  5. Laks09

Tashi,
    Wish I could do that but I'm running a race in the middle of winter so I better get my lazy self out there. Last year the starting temp was 19 at the race and I'm so not looking forward to it :( trust me and my friend to find extreme races to run! I swear I'm moving to Southern California if this heat and cold trend continues :)

6. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for all that responded.

Laks- I do want to spend a few dollars more and get something that holds well. I was looking at a TNF winter running tights but I was wondering if just that one layer is good enough. I have plenty of tops/fleece jackets and got some merino wool hiking socks but I still need gloves and hats.

Malstorm- More power to your husband. The day I feel motivated to run in rain or sleet,I would feel I accomplished something. I get bored of treadmill and if I feel tired the fact that I can stop makes it hard to do distance- no will power. Running outside keeps me interested. It helps that we have a nice 4 mile trail where we live that is very hilly but beautiful. I do like workout dvd's too :).

Tashi- If you knew me better you would never suggest "mall- walking". When I go to malls, I mean business- it is a very serious thing for me :biggrin2:. Outside is more beautiful - trails or neighborhood- I get to look at surroundings, homes and gardens etc- just more peaceful. Plus the farther you go, you cannot just stop but need to run back home too. Makes it easier for me to cover distance.

2 people like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Sdiva,

it most certainly depends on how many miles you are running. That said, as far as gear is concerned, one rule - dress up in such a way that you feel slightly cold and uncomfortable when you step out. There is a 25 degree rule but we follow 10...ie., if it is 30 F out side, I kind of dress up for 40 or 50.

Self drying tops are best and usually I need two layers of that and long sleeved - I run a lot in winters so I have a winter running jacket (when I get too hot, I can tie it around with out feeling the weight) Just one layer of tights are enough usually.

Caps are good or at least something around ears.

I have been asked to use only running socks and I see the benefits.

Gloves are a must haves for me personally. I can ditch the cap but not gloves :(

This works for me as I warm up in half a mile!

Also always check for the weather before you head out especially for sleet or ice. That would be the only thing I would worry about. Else winter running is quite fun - so have fun!

2 people like this.
  8. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Srama- Thanks for your encouragement.

I have not ventured out below 50 degress yet. I dont see myself going more than 3-4 miles. I enjoyed running in fall but just long sleeved moisture wick top and long pants were good enough then and one felt warm in few minutes. That is why I am considering running outside with appropriate attire.

But I dont plan to venture out during sleet or rain or on very windy days. But otherwise I want to slowy venture out and enjoy outdoors in winter too.

2 people like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Moisture wick was the word that I was looking for. If you have felt warm in fall, I don't see any reason if you need anything more. If I were to invest, it would be on a good winter running jacket or layer up one more.

I am sure you will love running in winters. I absolutely enjoy it!

1 person likes this.
  10. Laks09

1 person likes this.