1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Queries about Yoga

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Pratts, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Pratts

Pratts Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

I learnt yoga in India.. My guruji advised me to practise yoga everyday in an open atmosphere.. However in US doing yoga, keeping the windows open itself is impossible. So I have the following queries to be clarified:

1. Can we perform yoga with windows all closed? This is not all the time, only during winter where there is freaking cold.

2. As we dnt sweat a lot in US, is it advisable to perform yoga in a closed room with heater on? I feel this way we will sweat a little..

3. By performing yoga, does the heat from body come out?

Any suggestions for the above queries will be of so much use.

Thanks in advance.

2. kanthtx

kanthtx Gold IL'ite

nothing wrong in doung yoga inside...

the idea is to get oxygen flow into the body and brain.. but if it is freezing out, no point in doing in open air.. u will freeze to death...

so just do inside...

there is no such thing as heat coming out or cold going in urbody...

yoga helps u balance elements in ur body... according to the need either ur body will get hot or cold as required... that needs balancing of the internal elements...

so dont go with the thought that u shud sweat or feel hot wen doing yoga...

there is NO NEED to force urself to sweat .. remember that.. just do yoga and based on ur intensity let the body do the part..

2 people like this.
  3. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

Bikram yoga is pretty famous where the room temperature is set to a high degree and people sweat a lot. Maybe you can have a space heater and do it and sweat a lot.

Nothing beats fresh air from outside, but if its freezing outside, then, you will get at least other benefits than fresh air when doing yoga inside.

1 person likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Pratts,

I am certified yoga teacher here in the US and will try to answer your questions. First off, I am happy to see that you are eager to keep your practice up. That is awesome. That said, I hear you girl about the winters. So,

Absolutely yes. There is no hard and fast rule about this at all....anywhere that I have heard of.

That is called hot yoga and many yoga studios offer that as a class. So yes you can keep a heater - but keep it at a comfortable temperature. BTW there is no hard and fast rule about sweating and yoga. It is how you feel after a good practice is what matters. And just so that I have it out here, I am not a big fan of hot yoga and don't do much of it.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by this question. But yes, your body heat can be altered by practising ujjayi breath during asana practice. You can google and find information.

I practice Ashtanaga and is very much breath based and my breath helps me keep me warm while practicing and when I tend to cool down in the seated postures, we do include what are called vinyasas to keep the body warm.

Hope this was helpful. Happy practice and if you need anything else, don't hesitate to write.

3 people like this.
  5. Pratts

Pratts Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Thanks for the prompt reply.. all ur replies gave me so much satisfaction and interest to continue..
    @ Srama : By heat, i meant body heat.. whenever i do yoga, i feel heat is generated in my body and is coming out in the form of heat boils all over my face.. if i stopped doing, then i dnt get.. anyways i am happy about my body heat coming out..but still wanted to know if it is because of yoga..

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Pratts, I am afraid I don't know the answer to that question. Heat can be generated with breath but if that will cause the body heat to go up like that...I am not sure. Sorry couldn't be of much help there.

7. Pratts

Pratts Senior IL'ite

Its fine.. I face no prob in that but still wanted to check..