1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Early to bed Early to rise challenge

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by hridhaya, Aug 18, 2014.

1. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Dearies,

I like to be a night owl more than an early bird.Come weekends,my idea of relaxing is to stay up till 2AM and browse internet.Sometimes this happens on weekdays due to office work too.

It is hitting now the health and costed few visits to the hospital.More than that, I am now forced to get up on time to prepare food for my DD for her school.

I now sleep around 11pm(sometimes earlier) and get up around 6am. In spite of 7 hours sleep, I don't feel I had a good sleep. I want to shift sleep hours to 10pm - 5am. I have tried this before but could not follow through. So this is what I am upto.

Please join this thread so that we can form good sleeping habits together. Lets discuss our sleep problems, how to rectify and stay motivated. If anyone has achieved to sleep like a baby, please share your tips.

8 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Hridaya,

Talk of being a night owl. Frequently I go to sleep when the birds are coming awake and then wake up any time between 8 and 10 am. Sometimes I go to sleep by 12 and wake up by 7 or 8. I really want to change this habit of mine.

Of late, events in my life have left me exhausted to the extent that even staying up till 11 or 12 is a huge effort and I go off to sleep by 11 or so and wake up late. It is like I am making up for lost sleep of a few months or years.

I try not to sleep in the afternoons so I should feel sleep earlier at night. I can wake up by 6 or 7 if I have to get up for some purpose, otherwise I tend to sleep till late.

I find if I am watching TV or something on youtube or listening to some discourse, I tend to sleep off faster than if I am playing or writing something.

1 person likes this.
  3. sonalpallavi

sonalpallavi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Hridhaya,
    Thanks for starting this thread. I also have been struggling since a long time trying to improve my sleep habits, most importantly trying to wake up early.
    I mostly sleep by 10-10:30 but still am not able to wake up early, with great difficulty force myself up by 7:00 -7:15 as need to cook and get ready for office, plus need to get my 2 yr. old DS ready.
    I find my self sleeping better when I am listen to some soothing music/prayer before sleeping or quieting mind by meditating a little. Still, no guarantees that I will wake up any earlier. I even gave up trying as feel that I am a kind of person who needs more than normal sleep. :O

2 people like this.
  4. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Whoa! I have never done that. I could never stay late more than 2/3 am. I am curious though why you would stay up so late normally? Also I agree that if there is no motivation to get up next day, we tend to sleep in. That happens normally with all of us on weekends.

Anyways, you have ample company in this thread. What timings do you want to stick to? Do let us know if you followed it the next day. So see you tomorrow :)

1 person likes this.
  5. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Sonal,
    I am exactly like you. Even if I sleep by 10, there is no guarantee that I will get up around 5 or 6 am next day. It depends - either I slept too much nor I would have had disturbed sleep(bad dreams etc). I am also trying hard to have at least few nights of good sleep and wake up fresh.

What factors do you think are affecting your sleep? What approaches have you tried to wake up early? Share some background so that we can see what works for each of us.

1 person likes this.
  6. ammulur

ammulur Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for starting this thread. Even i am struggling to get up early morning. I go to sleep by 10.30 and get up between 7:00 - 7:30.

I want to change this habit. Hope this thread might help me. Planning to get up on or before 6.30.

Thanks Hridaya for the thread.

7. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Hi ammulur,

I think 10.30-6.30 is a reasonable goal for one to do. What is your bedtime routine? Is it consistent everyday? What is your motivation for next day? Is there something in your to-do list or wishlist that you would like to do?

If we force ourselves to get up early, then we cannot stick to that routine and we would find it painful to repeat every day. Instead we need to make the transition naturally. So lets also focus on fixing our negative traits one at a time and check for improvement.

I am planning do away screen time after 8.30pm and also devote time for reading book every morning and night. what's yours?

1 person likes this.
  8. satchitananda

Reason for sleeping that late: Either because I was too engrossed on the net or I was not getting sleep even after switching off the lights, tossed and turned, gave up, got up, switched on the telly or the net and then eventually felt sleepy.

Since the past few days I am sleeping quite soundly. I would like to go to sleep regularly by 11 pm and be up by 7.30 am at the latest.

1 person likes this.
  9. saarang

saarang Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

I am in the same boat as you all. I usually sleep at around 12:30-1 and then wake up at 8-8:30am. I know this is not a healthy way but still it continues. I would want to join this group and be determined to have a healthy lifestyle.
    I want to sleep at around 11:30-12:00 and then wake up at 7. I want to move gradually. Lets see...:)

2 people like this.
  10. satchitananda

Super flop the very first night. Went to pick up bil, sil and their daughter from the airport last night. Flight landed at 1.30 am. Dropped them off at mil's house. Was well past 4.30 when we eventually got back home and crawled into bed. Woke up at 7. Then caught some more sleep and hauled myself out of bed at 10.15.