1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Motivation required...

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by dimhere, Aug 5, 2014.

1. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Dear IL's,

About me.....Was always a skinny kid, and gained weight steadily after marriage. 2 kids and a decade later, my BMI is around 32 now. I have been up and down the scale so many times, but always lose the battle.

I am successful when I have a big event coming up - lost 10 kgs to look good for the wedding, (then gained it), lost it again between the 2 kids ( then gained it again), lost it again before joining a new job (and now have gained it again )!!

My question is, how do you get motivation to diet and exericse your whole life? I have a tendency to put on weight even if I just smell food... WHY should i restrict my food and be unhappy. I work really hard, at home, office, and am appreciated by all for everything. By God's grace, I have a great family. SO WHY CAN't I EAT?? When exactly do I get to enjoy the good things in life??

I found I often associate enjoyment with eating.. Any celebration involves good food. Trying out new restaurants, cooking with a lot of ingredients, etc. are my hobbies.

I read, and read weight loss forums, but I cant motivate myself to start the cycle AGAIN... I am so sick of not wearing pretty clothes or looking older than my age or looking bad in pictures or being the heaviest person in the room, MIL included. Why should I work hard for such things, when it comes effortlessly to others??

I need help.....

2. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Honey, it is not effortless. It requires a loooot of perseverance. It is a challenge to self. If you can beat yourself the next day, you win, or you lose! Well, 32 is not a great deal! All you need is a little motivation. Keep looking at your old pics, never ever throw off your old clothes. This might help you in being committed to lose your weight.

Also, make sure you maintain a diary of what you eat. It is like a project. A project for health. Keep running your project.

Set deadlines, long term goals. The important thing is, realize that "you" have a life, apart from DH or kids. If you do not do it for you, who else would? Good luck.

2 people like this.
  3. sridevi1977

sridevi1977 IL Hall of Fame

Dear friend,
    Relax...
    The way you feel this way is from the self image you have now is different from the self image you had before when you lost weight.
    No matter how you turned into, you are still the same 'YOU';

Its totally in your hand to bring yourself back the same old image if you want to lose weight and be in 'SHAPE', not only physically but mentally also.
    Start with your mind, show the actions in your body ...

Take small steps as you already know what you have to do.you faced weight loss many times in your life before. Any day is a new day if you put your mind into it.
    Set realistic goal, join a group who do the same as you do. you will get constant motivation on your way. The moment you feel you need motivation, you are already longing for it. take it from you. It is already there inside you. May be it is just sleeping... wake up. Its ok if you gained now... you still have many days in your life, you still can start your weight loss journey... you still can be a success...
    You stil can see your old "you" soon, if you are committed in your goals...

First week, take it easy. Throw all the junk around the house, increase water intake.
    second week, add on some exercises.
    third week, start working on your diet part.
    Fouth week onwards, try to incorporate all that you followed in the previous weeks...This weight loss journey is not an end once we reach our goal. It is a life time process of maintaining healthy lifestyle.
    Who said you dont have to enjoy your meal. Go ahead and eat what you like to. exercise later or before you treat yourself. that is maintanance. Many of us struggle very hard just enough to maintain weight.
    Welcome to the woman's era. It is not something that is not at all possible. We all are seeing many woman successfully losing weight faster. Dont think it is effortless, they must only know how much they sacrificed.
    dont think as a sacrifice if you give up something. Think of those as a good denial for you in order to lose those extras you carry through.
    If you want to lose those extras, you need to get rid of those extras we dont need to hold on. I hope you get my point.
    Give yourself a big hug, take deep breaths, start your weight loss diary and story... and keep filling your pages every day, as you lose tiny amount of fat!
    And Tadaa....believe that you will see your old 'YOU' when you finish your story, no matter how long it take you to complete the story.As a matter of fact, re start the novel as maintenance story as you reach your goal, since you know you dont want to go from the first page again.
    Good Luck!

4 people like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dim here,
    I always enjoy good food. I gave up on refined sugars to kick start a stalled weight loss. I now do take everything. I do it in moderation.

I ate a triple sundae as dessert on Friday night after a big meal with all the hoopla. I did it because I knew I was going to burn 1200 calories on Saturday morning, running 8 miles with nothing but a glass of milk and a banana in my stomach. I needed those calories. If not, I would have settled for a single scoop of plain ice cream and called it a night.

Moderation is key to a healthy life style. My biggest motivation to eat clean was to set the right example for my kids. I don't want my kids indulging at every meal and eating junk mindlessly everyday. Hence, I chose to show them the right way to do things. Kids often inculcate such habits from parents and I wanted us to be showing them the healthy way to live.

Eat at all your favorites. Just not at every meal. Pick one meal a week where you will indulge in that big dessert. Make sure there are more of fruits and healthy snacks around, rather than aloo bhujia and kaaju katli. Over time, you will be able to mange your calorie intake.

Btw, since weight loss is not new to you, you should read up,on maintaining weight after weight loss. I'm sure you guessed by now but maintaining is harder than weight loss. You don't have the instant gratification of seeing scale/size changes and that makes it difficult to stay on the path. Do look at how people have successfully maintained after weight loss. Look at the IL blog of Shiva(fatchickgoesslim). She was my biggest motivator. Look at Shanvy's story too. After you read about these two women, interact with them. They have a lot of words of wisdom for everyone!

Good luck,
    Laks

3 people like this.
  5. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Dear Dim here,

Based on what you have written about yourself, I estimate your age to be early to mid thirties. Also I think you are from south India. If that is true, we from south India are prone to lots of health issues like Diabetes type II, Triglycerides, Cholesterol, Hypertension etc etc. So to stay healthy, you need to get into good eating habits. Also you want to set a good example to your kids. Portion control and exercise are 2 good things to follow. It is better to be able to eat what I love in small quantities than being forced to totally avoid it on health reasons.

You said you have read lots of threads, please read some of the blogs of healthy recipes by Shanvy and Shiva......you will come to a realization that healthy food need not be boring or unappetizing.

You have been blessed with a good life (family, home, work) and hence please take care of your body. Eat out, there is nothing wrong but balance it with exercise as done by Laks09.

Love to you dear!

2 people like this.
  6. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Dear Dim here,

I have added a few comments in bold below.

3 people like this.
  7. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Dear Chandrika, Laks, MaliniHari and sridevi,

Thanks all for reading and responding. Your words help me so much.

Love all the wonderful, patient ppl at IL...

1 person likes this.
  8. hmishra

hmishra Platinum IL'ite

1016047_10151435693021339_1240567583_n.jpg If-youre-tired-of-starting-over-stop-giving-up.jpg

Need i say more???

You workout so u eat the good stuff that u like... U earn extra calories with which u can eat the stuff u like in moderation of course...

3 people like this.
  9. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

@laks09, @malinihari, @sridevi1977, @chandrikaV

Lots happened since this first post. I relocated to a different country, had to give up my job in the process, set up my home from scratch, and had major lifestyle changes.

Three factors were enough to get me started -
    1. am not working, so have time for myself
    2. good gyms near new home
    3. A close relative got a major heart attack at 48, and is brain dead, leaving behind a dependent family

Have already lost five pounds now... It's a small start, but a start nevertheless... Thanks all...:)

3 people like this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@dimhere - wonderful update! Keep going. We are all here rooting for you!

1 person likes this.