1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Hypothyroidism - Experiences, ideas and suggestions to be active and reduce weight.

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Stera, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Stera

Stera New IL'ite

Hello All,

I have been a follower of this site since long time but this is my first post that, I really need advice from everyone.

i am in my early 30's with 2 kids with hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed with thyroid before my second pregnancy and trust me, I dint loose a single pound after the baby was born and added to that I have been adding up since then.

I have tried several diets, moderately active person, but nothing worked out. Once I almost dint eat rice for 1 year and dint loose a pound. Added to that I always feel lazy, sleepy and dull. So I have decided that this is it and I need to make some changes before things go out of my control.

so I would like to make a routine for myself to reduce wt and especially any specific foods that can improve my metabolism.

Ladies, please share your experiences or your family members that can help me in anyway.

thanks in advance.

2. swapna26

swapna26 Senior IL'ite

Re: Hypothyroidism - Experiences, ideas and suggestions to be active and reduce weigh

Hi stera,

Welcome to IL.

It's high time you should check your thyroid levels. Even i have thyroid from my childhood and now i m 8 months pregnant. First check your thyroid levels and take medicines accordingly. every 3 months you need to do t3, t4 & TSH and keep an eye over your thyroid levels. Skipping meals dosen't help. Once you control your levels your weight will reduce. If your in chennai i can give you my doc's address who takes care of your levels very well. Also try and learn yoga, another best way to control your thyroid and weight levels.

all the best..

3. YoginiVenkat

YoginiVenkat Silver IL'ite

Re: Hypothyroidism - Experiences, ideas and suggestions to be active and reduce weigh

Hi Stera,

Check your thyroid levels and consult a doc for medications. I have a baby and i had hypothyroid after delivery. I gained wt like anything and doc suggested medications aftr my lactation period. but i didnt..Did few yoga asanas (learnt from practioners) relevant to throid functioning and my thyroid level have come to control.

Got this from net:
    The Following Yoga Asanas Can Be Practiced In Hypothyroidism Treatment:
    • Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana) is the most recommended posture in this condition. It stimulates the thyroid gland to function properly because of the pressure effect and also helps stimulate other glands in the head region, such as pituitary and pineal glands, which also have an indirect control on the functioning of the thyroid gland.
    • Inverted Pose (Viparitakarani)
    • One-legged Forward Bend (Janu Shirasasana)
    • Fish Pose (Matsyasana)>
    • Plow Pose (Halasana)
    • Cat Stretch (Marjariasana)
    • Fast-paced Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar) can work well for controlling weight.
    Besides these yoga postures, the practice of pranayamas (breathing techniques) such as Kapal Bhati (skull shining breathing technique), Nadi Shodhan (alternate nostril breathing), Bhastrika and Ujjayi breathing work well in reducing hypothyroidism symptoms.

Food Tips For People With Thyroid Disorders

• Include high-fibre food in your diet.
    • Reduce the intake of fats and carbohydrates.
    • Take lots of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables. It is better to avoid cauliflower, cabbage and broccoli in hypothyroidism.
    • Limit the intake of non-vegetarian food, milk and milk products (skimmed milk is advisable), rice, spicy food, refined and fast food and food items with preservatives.
    • No to coffee/tea or carbonated drinks.

Pls search more abt the asanas and try to do it and u can join yoga classes as well. I heard thyroid medicines have side effects when u stop them(might be wrong too) so opted for yoga and its working. i have started reducing gradually now and my thyroid levels are under control. Doc has asked me to monitor my thyroid levels yearlly.

Good luck to u honey.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  4. YoginiVenkat

YoginiVenkat Silver IL'ite