1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Couch to 5K

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by sdiva20, Jun 10, 2014.

1. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

I have been reading some fitness thread and I am very inspired by many of your dedication and perseverance in keeping fit and losing weight. I have not been exercising for about a year but finally decided it is time to change it.

I wanted to start a couch to 5K plan today onwards and my goal is to run non stop for a 5K. Anyone interested, feel free to join.

3 people like this.

2. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

I wanted to join in. I don't know I can start with the run as I have never exercised 10 days continuously in my whole life.

But yes.. Maybe today is the day to start it.

7 people like this.
  3. hmishra

hmishra Platinum IL'ite

I'm with u.. :)

2 people like this.
  4. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I was looking into a beginner's plan. It is run/ walk plan where you slowly reduce walking and increase running.

My problem is also sticking with it.

I am really inspired by the guys in the running club- Laks09 and Srama comes to mind :). I read Laks09 mentioning that she started this program last year as a complete novice and now about to start training for HM. Lets hold that thought as inspiration :)

3 people like this.
  5. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Great... I look forward to you joining. I read about your progress too. I am going to look into some running shoes too this weekend.

2 people like this.
  6. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Awesome... I will start the walking from today. :)

3 people like this.
  7. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I did the c-2-5k plan today. I could only go 2.0 miles in 30 minutes. Instead of 1 min walk and 1 min jog, I did 1 min walk and 3 min jog.

A long way to go .......before I can run 30 minutes straight :-( But I feel awesome for making a start.

3 people like this.
  8. sridevi1977

sridevi1977 IL Hall of Fame

Great going Girls!
    Yes...Laks and Srama are live examples for c-5k programs.. I always admire their running
    routines.

3 people like this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ladies,
    Do join us in the running club thread. We'd love to have you there.
    Thanks for getting inspired. Lots of friends are trying to start running after seeing my race pics this weekend! I love the fact that others can draw some inspiration from what I can do.

Btw, some tips, some learned the hard way the others imbibed from other runners -
    1) Follow the program as it is. I didn't one week and paid the price.
    2) Slow down. As you increase your run time your pace will automatically pick up.
    3) Get fitted for proper running shoes. Your knees will thank you.
    4) Eat right, under eating will figure in next day's run.
    5) Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate and Hydrate again.
    6) Never give up on a bad day, remember even avid marathoners have a bad day.
    7) Repeat weeks in the program if it was a particularly tough week. You may one day reach a point in the program where repeating weeks don't help. Maybe you are having a mental block mile(mine is mile three even now). Even avid marathoners have an Achilles mile!
    8) Most importantly, at the end of the program you may not be running 3 miles. Almost all beginners don't. Just keep increasing run times weekly by 5 mins until you run a 5k.
    9) Celebrate that first non stop 20 mins run! I did, people at the track thought I was insane but who cares. Nothing compared to the exhilaration I felt then. I'm sure I'll run a half marathon someday but that day sometime in mid-Feb still may surpass the HM run!!!!
    10) Don't give up on a bad day. Accept bad runs. Even seasoned athletes have them.
    11) when the going gets tough and I promise you it will, get the best groovy music that you love and concentrate on your breathing(I read this written by someone elsewhere and it helped immensely)
    12) Rest days are HOLY. You can cross train but don't run on two consecutive days no matter how good you feel!

12 people like this.
  10. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

I am on my 3rd week...
    Will update regulalry..

-Nitha

1 person likes this.