1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

bhu, wonderful..did you add a little pepper and jeera. did you know this leaf cures of joint pains.. mudakku vali .theerkkum. pain in elbows, hands, or any other joints.. i have been trying to grow this. once i luckily saw one fruit in the packet and stored the seeds two..but i don't remember where i stored it..and later lost them..have been searching for it for quite some time.. i saw a plant in some place..want to grow this..

you can make rasam too. it is more heat.eat with caution.

while vallarai is coolant..that is why it is a boon to the brain..and the shape of the leaf resembling the brain...:thumbsup

2 people like this.
  2. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Dear Manali, we are talking all about greens, it is all the names of green available here..

Sorry for that, will tell the greens name after googling it :) or shanvy mam would have familiar about those names....will wait for her :)

2 people like this.
  3. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

my dh has high numbers of crp, so i guess 'mudakathaan keerai' is the best one for his athrititis.....thanks for your info on that!

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Manali, aw, it was not meant to be.. you ask me whatever you don't understand and i will try my level best to explain. the last few posts we have been discussing millets and greens.

let me first give you the english/hindi equivalent of the names..then i am sure you can understand..

better this tables.
    Know-your-millets.jpg

and this one for all of you who wonder why i am such a fan of millets...

. pic_article_Millets_-_nutrition_facts.jpg

hope this helps you manali..and yet if you have any queries, raise it..it is about knowledge sharing.

7 people like this.
  5. swaram2576

swaram2576 Bronze IL'ite

Chance eyya illa Shanvy ma'am for your energy to keep up with everything and kids education and the positive thoughts of how you look at things, I am learning from you, will reach one day there bringing up my two kids.....

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  6. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Shanvy mam, thanks for sharing such useful info. Extremely useful. I'm also switching slowly from rice to millets. Tried varagu idli, varagu dosa, thinai adai so far. All came out well. Also plain cooked varagu / thinai for lunch instead of rice. I need to be more consistent. Sometimes I get lazy, making them just for myself :-(

For making kambu dosa / porridge, do we need to use the grains or kambu flour?

1 person likes this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

greens..i discussed and even posted pictures in this thread..they are scattered throughout the thread..
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gardening/76931-the-mini-pharmacy-your-garden.html

today we discussed.

mullaikeerai - Chauli..??- a variety of amaranthus . interestingly a variety of the same is available in the me in the name of mollakkia and is found in frozen section even in europe..

araikeerai, sirukeerai - family of amaranthus.

agathikerai i think is humming bird tree leaves..very very useful. the raw juice is used in acne treatment. it is a little hard on the palate..a light bitter taste. but full of calcium. rich in minerals. helps in lactation.. and many more uses..it is good for eyes. no wonder scriptures say feeding the cow this leaves is so much punya..not to be eaten if you are under some treatment, as it can mess with the effects.. it is too strong a green..eat with caution.

mudakatthan is a baloon vine..khanpatta, picture above in bhucat's post..good for people suffering from arthritis or joint pains.

vallarai is brahmi..good for brain..

rest tommorrow yaar..

1 person likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

karanu how are you.long time. kambu is a slightly different prep. shall i take pics and post next monday/tuesday.. have some important work to attend to..

we need to use both as a combination.. and guess what you can make for a week. i gave my kids for three days at one stretch. it will not spoil. and the taste of eating from a mudpot is heaven..now don't ask me if i have one..no yaar.. i am scared of breaking them..

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i am doint nothing. you have to see some of the 60 years and 70 years taking care of family and doing things for the grandkids..i watch many around me who do more..but yes we need to imbibe the good that we observe, and not forget the bad,because that tells us what we should not be.. learning is a life long process.,and i am learning, too..

even today have so many of you showing your presence and making me realise that this effort of mine has not gone waste....:yes:

4 people like this.
  10. sujathagokul

sujathagokul Gold IL'ite

thank u shanvy mam, for the details.
    i went through the thread fully , mam u r so encouraging for people like me who doesn't know about samba, varagu, etc., i started to use varagu rice in my food. i made varagu sambar sadam, 16 beans adai that was excellent. before i was eating all unhealthy foods, after going through the thread i started eating healthy.
    thank u mam & all friends.
    thank u once again for the greens explanation.

1 person likes this.