1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

@chillbreeze

My sister delivered last month & my mom is following the Dr's suggestion

1. Everything should be eaten in moderation.
    2. Use more moong dhal as it is easier to digest. Toor dhal is also used.
    3. Avoid fried items.
    4. Avoid 'roasts'- potato, yam etc
    5. No Chinese food from outside till breast feeding.
    6. Avoid eating out till 6 months.

Essentially she is having the regular food. Our Dr follows this system and we are ok with it.

On a lighter note - When my DD was 8 months old, I asked her Dr 'whether giving banana when having cold will create any problems for the child as the elders in the family were against it . He replied " Giving banana to the child having cold will not create any problem. But If you are going to 'get problem at home' because of giving banana , you can very well avoid it for few days'.gigglingsmiley

2 people like this.
  2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

At least for the first 40 days while your sister's uterus gets back its strength, it is better to follow the pathya samayal !

Am specifying this because - most doctors dont speak about this - nothing is in the medical books - but the uterus takes some time to shrink back to its original little form after carrying a full grown baby - and in the modern times, this has been one of the causes of back pains and other common women's ailments !

So, if there is no harm, why not follow it !

Sesame seeds, sesame oil are supposed to help the uterus and strengthen your back!

My mom used to make one lehiyam - it used to be powdered herbs cooked in honey, palm candy and ghee ! and so so tasty - She used to wake me at 5:00 am and give it - and I would go back to sleep and wake up so refreshed!

Easily digestible foods are moong dal, the watery vegetables (gourds and cucumbers) !
    Papaya is a good fruit - has lots of digestive enzymes, fibre, vitamins and is also good for the uterus !
    Use seasonal fruits and avoid imported ones! (OK, maybe not mango :))

Many avoid brinjals as some people get itching if they have stitches or wounds
    Cabbage is avoided as it produces a lot of gas - so the baby will get more burps! But maybe it could be balanced with ginger?

Beans is a good source of fibre ( so no constipation problems)
    Methi is a good for lactating mothers, so try sprouting methi - it makes methi sweet and edible !
    Better to use red chillies instead of green chilli and better to use black pepper instead of red chillies
    No tubers - again gas for the baby !

The baby is fine - the curd like vomit is normal - but it is important to finish burping and vomiting while they are awake and upright - they might face discomfort to bring it out when lying down!

4 people like this.
  3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Its important to follow pathya samayal. The benefits are:

1. To enable easy digestion for the baby
    2. To help mom reduce weight
    3. To help mom regain her strength.

Different states have different pathya samayal. Most require new mom to have garlic say garlic rasam, milk and methi seeds (all galactogues, help in increasing milk supply).

Mom has to eat easily digestible foods, most south indians will eat only rice, no rotis of any kind. No root veggies, cabbage, cauliflower or broccoli. Greens and veggies with lots of water content will help new mom pass stools easily.

If you are in Bangalore, you will get something antina undi which is basically dry fruits and nuts laddoo with edible gum. This is superfood for new moms, it needs to be eaten with a glass of milk. These laddoos are had only after one month after delivery.

YOu get something called alvi seeds or garden cress. Its small and reddish in color. YOu have to fry just a spoonful in ghee and make payasam. Helps a lot in reducing body pains.

Ghee is very good for new mom. In lunch she has to eat ghee rice with a powder make of ajwain, cumin and hing. Just a few spoons will do. This is to avoid gas in baby. A gassy baby is a lot of trouble :(

If you can get someone to massage baby and mom, it will be wonderful.

Baby spitting is common. Often the baby will forget to swallow the last bit of milk and sleep, when it wakes up, the milk will come out as curd. Nothing to worry.

Barley water with buttermilk is very nourishing to mom.

There is an ayurvedic medicine called Shatavari. Its a powder made from herbs that you mix with milk and drink. It helps in milk production and helps in healing the uterus. This is to be had as long as mom is breastfeeding.

2 people like this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Haha it has been 11 years - no wonder I forgot to add this!!

You get Satavarex in chocolate flavour (Zandu Pharmaceuticals) - NOT so chocolatey - i used to add chocolate horlicks to the satavarex milk and drink it!!
    Or I would put a spoonful directly into my mouth and wash it down with water or milk!!!

My stomach AND my baby's stomach couldnt handle the garlic - so I banned garlic and then we found Satavarex and sweet methi sprouts !! They really helped !

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I had it both ways. First time with pathya sapadu ,lehiyum ,pepper rasam ,complete 4 weeks of rest..the whole 9 yards
    Second time ate aloo/mooli parathas rajma spinach daal (all pathya no nos ) and was driving
    in less than a week.
    My mom was a lot happier the first time around but no diff as far me or babies were concerned. More important that ur sis is kept cheerful and happy . Let her eat whatever she wants as long as she can handle it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@chillbreeze - Ask your sis to follow the pathyam. There is a reason spicy foods should be avoided by new moms. It's now been told by lactation consultants that certain spices do get expelled in BM and the new baby may get gassy.

Also, the fenugreek dosa, pearl onions etc increase lactation in new moms. People are taking fenugreek pills to increase lactation.
    The calcium in sunna(we eat beetle leaves postpartum) does help the mom's bones.

The oils and baths relaxes the new mom. The more relaxed the mother, the lesser stress she has. Apparently it's been found that the stress enzymes(no idea what they are) do get passed along with bM to the baby. The lactation consultant told me this, I don't know how true it is.

same with the naps. The new mom doesn't get uninterrupted sleep at night and that's why the insistance on sleeping for two hours in the afternoon. ofcourse, it does help the back to lie down and take it easy for a couple of hours a day. After all, a baby is hard work.

I would suggest you follow whatever is traditionally followed in your family with the exception of not drinking water. Water is actually very essential for a new mom.

Hth,
    L

1 person likes this.
  7. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@chillbreeze, just remembered this. Mom to drink only warm water.

1 person likes this.
  8. Laks09

4 people like this.
  9. Laks09

@hrastro - I have a similar problem. I feel spent after workouts and cannot workout without anything in my tummy. I'm constantly craving for sugars and my fasting and PP sugars are always the same level. Plus HbA1C is so far normal. This is a pre diabetic kind of issue. Two of my aunts were like this. Now they are diabetic. I had no idea that being hypoglycaemic can lead to diabetes. Now, I get a HbA1C test done every six months.
    And, I have to watch my protein macros. I know I crave more when I'm low on protein. When my protein intake is good, I don't need two hour meals. That's so exhausting.
    I do use the Greek yogurts, Cheesee of all kinds, paneer, eggs or whites, almond and peanut butters, all lentils and beans. I also drink 2-3 cups of coffee made with milk alone most days. Now the past few months I haven't bothered much. As a result, my weight is going back up slowly and I feel depleted after each run. Such months I usually add a whey protein powder to my diet. I was at whole foods today and picked up my protein powder. I use it for a few months and then ditch it. Phew. Tiring to keep the cals in control plus the body energised.

2 people like this.
  10. Newbie87

Newbie87 Bronze IL'ite

Just reading through the last few pages of this thread and wanted to check before posting- I make a 100% whole wheat bread that is not in the least best dense and tastes lovely. Do I just post the recipe here or is there a different sub forum for that?
    Please excuse the stupidity of my question, I am new here and would love to share some of my favourite non rice ideas as well!

2 people like this.