1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Parineetha, just grate the cauliflower fine. Chop vegs - beans, carrots, capsicum, and add peas, sweet corn/baby corn - just the way you would for pulav. Proceed to make the dish just as you would do for pulav. You can give tadka in a small cooker, put in the vegs, saute them, add the grated cauliflower, sprinkle a little water, close with lid without weight and cook. You can do it as usual in a kadhai too. It is pretty quick to make.

3 people like this.
  2. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Oh ok..Ill try it very soon and post the pics Satchi.
    Thank u so much.

1 person likes this.
  3. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Out of topic here but I guess Shanvy or anyone else here can clarify my doubt.

They say we are not supposed to take oil bath on the day we born. For eg, if I am born on wednesday, I shouldn't apply oil and wash my hair on wednesdays. Is it true, please let me know the reason behind it.

@Latharam-did you happen to notice the medicine Ztv thata told for sinus today. If so please let me know. When I switched on the tv, the show was almost over and missed the treatment.

1 person likes this.
  4. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

CB,i havent herd of this. however, my mom says, when your nakshatram comes on the month, you don't take oil bath. Also, some other rituals we follow on this oil bath at our home are:
    1. We don't take oil bath on thursdays as its not good for our siblings.
    2. We don't take oil bath on pradosham day. It is equivalent to shutting off lights in 1000 temple it seems
    3. No oil bath on amavasaya and poornima, particularly if you have parents.
    4. Also, it is good for ladies to take oil bath on tuesday and fridays. For unmarried girls, tuesday oil bath will eradicate any dhosham. For married women it is best on both days.
    5. For men, it is good to take oil bath on wednesday and saturday.

2 people like this.
  5. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Mathiravi. I didn't know all those rules except the tuesdays & fridays part.

@Shanvy, did you happen to read the Garuda Puranam post by Jayasala. It reminded me of Inferno and in turn reminded me of your DS.

1 person likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

my net is giving so much problems. i can't hotspot my pc to my mobile and it is too much work to copy to ipad and then post. so let me first post my pictures for today. will reply after that ..i am sure you all will understand.

the kids still are not well. the sore throat is hard to drop once it sticks on to you. it is seen more in this part of chennai have a few friends who are equally sick on this side. so people be careful with the water and the food. hear that it is water/food borne viral. that gives you high fevers, joint pains, sore throats and coughs.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Today is the second day of navarathri. a very busy day as i had to rush to correct certain detail of my son's registration for the 12th at school. a quick pooja before leaving.

so here you go, check out the pics and accept the virtual thamboolam..

IMG_20140926_090834.jpg IMG_20140926_090856.jpg

Made two neivedyams today. one sweet and another curd rice (it is said ambal loves daddannam along with all chitra annam..) and yes did offer rice and dal too.

the sweet is apple appam. peeled, cubed and minced to pulp apple, (I took 2) so had a cup of apple pulp not exactly puree, a few almonds, walnuts powdered, a few pinches of elaichi powder, 2 tblsp of whole wheat atta, 1 tblsp of jaggery powder. made it as appam. got around 12 pieces.

the same could have been baked with slight alterations..but then i did not want to tempt my son right now. (p.s- add a little more flour, grate the apple so that you have a more firmer texture instead of mushy..add vannilla essence/ cinnamonpowder will give more flavor than elaichi.)

IMG_20140926_090929.jpg

IMG_20140926_114102.jpg

my plate for today was the curd rice (actually it is curd samai..cooked differently. had added 1/2 milk and 1/2 water to the rice, grated ginger and mango ginger, a few curry leaves, coriander and salt. pressure cooked to 4 whistles. cooled and mixed curd to the same. the flavors of curd rice is entirely different when done this way. i temper it with mustard, green/curd chillies, hing and curry leaves. if it parties pomegranate, carrot and grapes go into the same..

so dal, beans sabji and curds samai rice..a comfort lunch..

16 people like this.
  8. mrithulanaren

mrithulanaren Gold IL'ite

Shanvy mam,
    Thanks for the darshan.Apple appam sounds very interesting.

1 person likes this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@satchi I thought that it was a otg modification but what he feels is excessive heat and dry cooking will it hold on health front. Let me tell you a secret I have already decided on getting one but not immediately. Anyways you enjoy your trials and i will catch up soon.

@cb yes I went and checked it after you mentioned and isn't it amazing how two different cultures have almost similar things. And thanks love for thinking about the naughty young man my son..and regarding head baths I Have heard only what mathi has written. Has your doctor talked about honey and Amla. Since it is amla season maybe you can try making them.they increase immunity and overall health. Honey, ginger and garlic also good for colds. And today I saw Borges and another brand of durum wheat pasta in Nilgiris check it.

@lataram good you had mupperum deviyar for thamboolam. And liked that attempt of thinai laddoo. Use powedered jaggery. And do share those tips I don't get to watch tv. So I sometimes subscribe to YouTube channels.

Mrithula baby dust to you darling. The purpose of sharing this here is passing on a little feeling of positivity or blessings. I usually refrain from going overboard on the posting of poojas but then I was told by a friend here that it gives a lot of happiness seeing them. What do I lose clicking and posting a few pictures if that makes someone happy.

i am sure some of you know and some of you may not be aware of it. When I married my husband I was not so into poojas or festivals or the ways of my in-laws coming from a totally different background but today when I see the pictures I posted I can truly see how far I have infused and been influenced by the ways. Nobody would believe unless I say so. Not that I was taught. There are two ways of learning. One you learn under a teacher and in another you are pushed into the sea and you only have one way out learn to swim. Life has been kind in pushing into the presence of learned people gurus and more.

Sorry for for the digress.

8 people like this.
  10. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Thanks dear. Hope it was of some info to you.