1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Today's bf was mudakathan dosai. I made it with chopped onions, curry/coriander leaves, green chillies, cumin powder and it tasted yummy.

Lunch was samai rice, pumpkin sambar, carrot & beans poriyal.

4 people like this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi everybody,

Sorry, have not been able to make it here for a while now. Am rushed off my feet for about 10 days now and it is going to be like this for a couple of weeks more.

I don't remember who had put up this recipe here. Whoever it was, my sincerest thanks to you! I tried it today and it was wonderful. Fooled the BH who thought it was pulav until he ate it and then realized it was a "different" kind of pulav. :p Needless to say he loved it. This is the benfit of having "two" much cauliflower in the house! :-D

Cauliflower grate - Lunch - 23 Sept 2014.jpg

Grated cauliflower "pulav"

13 people like this.
  3. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

image.jpg Today's plate is roti -1, beans-carrot poriyal, yogurt, theyal and ridge gourdskin-chutney

3 people like this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Today's lunch:

Lunch - 24 Sept 2014.jpg

Kollu rasam, avial, kollu usal. Made kollu rasam for the first time. In fact using kollu probably for the second time. The first time it was a flop - probably a decade ago - because I did not know how to use it. Bless the cook and the maid - this time when I bought some and said I wanted to make it into rasam, they told me how to do it and made it for me. The rasam was truly delicious!!! [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hai girls,

all of you gearing for navarathri. i am better, now that i know the reason for the tummy issue. still on a bland diet and still have a long way to healing but this too shall pass soon...fingers crossed.

sathci loved the cauliflower rice and the kollu rasam. cauliflower rice was shared here by deeps, then writera did it, and now you. i am so tempted, but will wait patiently. kollu rasam is so yumm. even kollu thogaiyal, kollu podi and sambhar with the sprouts. it is versatile.

mathi loved all the variations you are posting love.

after a long time i am posting something.. a loose form of kitchdi with brown basmati, few beans,chana, tomato, with turmeric, ajwain and jeera with salt. pressure cooked. very bland. with some yoghurt and ladys finger...

cb keep eating healthy but take cues from your body.
    bhu, keep eating healthy..

and all the others hi..

Attached Files:

14 people like this.
  6. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

hello mam, Happy to see you here, loved your plate too...take care
    yes mam i am still in blande diet, she asked to be in this atleast for 3 months but i may take it regularly it seems because i did not find any differences, but i pity my dh :) so i am making either rasam or sambhar anyone with little spicy and the other one with total blande.
    Todays lunch is beetroot curry and capsicum sambar with rice.......
    Satchi, even i liked your gobi pulav it is so good, i will def try later....

Happy navarathiri to all....

I forgot to tell one thing, i have lost two kgs in this month alone, we have a saying called "ketathilaiyum oru nalladhu" like that due to blande and reduction in the quantity of intake after amebiasis i think this change has happened, anyways will need to maintain this, let see !

4 people like this.
  7. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice plate Shanvy, I was just thinking about how you are doing when I opened this thread and felt happy to see your post.

Today's lunch is kuthiravali rice, cowpea beans with radish sambar, snakegourd poriyal.

3 people like this.
  8. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Shavy: Glad you're feeling better. Love your plate. I have been a slacker. I will try to be back soon :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Satchi: Avial parcel please. I cant even remember when was the last time I had it :confused2:. I love avial.

2 people like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

happy navarathri to all of you. we do not have golu but i do the pooja on all the nine days.

my ambal - lalitha devi sitting on the srichakram is the main, and for navarathir i also invite saraswathi and lakshmi along with her. the first three days i do pooja for durga along with lalitha (*though poojas for lalitha is more than enough.) the next three lakshmi and the last three saraswathi.

IMG_20140925_112526.jpg

IMG_20140925_112443.jpg

IMG_20140925_112716.jpg

both the kids have sore throat and i did not want anything to aggravate that. so the neivedhyam was pal payasam and moong dal vadas with a twist..since i fast on thursdays i did not make mahaneivedyam as i cooked early morning as dd had college by 7.00.

soak moong dal for 30 minutes.. grind it coarsely..just leave a few whole ones aside before grinding. remove this to a bowl. next add greenchillies, jeera, hing, curry leaves, a few carrot pieces, coconut pieces, give it a nice grind.make it coarse or fine as per taste. now mix both and the moong dal that was set aside add a little salt. mix well..you can directly fry it in oil for crisp vadas or make them in kuzhipaniyaram pans like me with just a drop of oil..

take the virtual thamboolam for the first day. hope i can post the nine days with her blessings.

22 people like this.