1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

The journey so far- from a 3xl to M ...

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I had to pen this somewhere, not to brag but to inspire somebody who feels it is not possible, I can’t do it. I suffer from xx condition, so it is very tough to lose. Also as requested by a few friends, who feel I have to write the success story..i started thinking what success story S, you are on a yo-yo.

But always on x+1 or a x-.5 range, even your weighing scale’s so confused the days you get on it so many times then, you are and the weeks you don’t touch it..

the journey goes on, having been inspired by many, maybe this post could be a source of inspiration to someone out there..you never know..

A little prelude to the journey. you need to know the background of why I am considered inspirational..:hide:

I was curvy not fat in my teenage and working days. But I never knew that I was laying foundation for weight issues and other side effects every time I had been getting those blissfully relieving injections for my asthmatic attack. My doctors used to test every medicine that came to them for wheeze on me. I was never aware of the side effects as I am today and neither were my parents. At that point it was more about relief, from the attacks. (I am so conscious and questioning and objecting when it comes to medicines today. Awareness is a must. I came to know quite later that the hormonal steroids were also incidental in my bone weakness)

Fast forward a few years got married, I was a 58kgs:spin and after a few months had a critical appendectomy. Something that was simple turned into a major surgery, and the start of a great struggle . I was around 60 kgs then.
    After the birth of my daughter I came to 65. It was a supported pregnancy.I was not heavy until I had my son. My son was a very very difficult pregnancy supported by hormonal injections on a weekly basis, and my son’s growth issues adding stress. When I started the pregnancy I was 67, by the time my son was born I was clocking 82 I think. I had a c-section for both the babies. I had a near death experience with the c-section for my son. I bounced back to around 76kgs, but then we had so many complications with my son from brain issues, foot issues, umbilical hernia, and being asthmatic from 10 days of birth, no time to think of myself. And due to the stress I started having frequent wheeze episodes, and had lots of steroids.

When my son was 1.5, I got a slip disc, with nerve compression that left me almost paralysed to the right. The ortho suggestion was to remove two of my lumbar disc and place steel plates, with no guarantee for flexibility. With two small children and not much support I was scared, and did not go for the surgery.

I also started having a lot of hormonal issues thanks to all the hormonal steroids pumped. A very leading professor of gynaecology could not pin-point my issues and named me menopausal at 29years. Had a battery of tests too, to conclude that it was just emotional stress.. I

wish I had taken a second opinion then.had lot of bleeding issues, and 2 years later we found that I had a burst cyst, and a rupture in my right ovary and the stupid part was I was sitting at home bearing the pain thinking it was one of my pms:bonk..it screwed up with my heart because of internal bleeding for a long time. I came out of it with a 2.5kg cyst, and a damaged right ovary removed but ended up with being under a cardiologist from then.I think god saved me again that day, or else I would not be typing this story today.

In the meantime had a very major car accident in 2005, that jinxed my spine from my shoulders to the tail. I had a intedisc sac tear with the gel oozing out at two nodes and frozen shoulders. After a lot of therapy, I managed without the inimitable surgery.

Well the one ovary that remained kept me on my toes, for another 4 years. I had severe bleeding, that my hb levels started dropping to 7-7.5, and my cardiologist worried. No amount iron tablets increased my hb levels, found that I had a mineral deficiency that did not allow iron absorption properly.I had a surgery for suspected tumor and the biopsy results came negative.

Till this point, I did all my work myself. No maids, no support.

I had similar pain as earlier cyst episode, and we found that I had another big cyst on my left ovary, during my half yearly scan. It was decided that the ovary be removed as it also was showing the same symptoms as before. I was staying alone with the kids in india while dh was abroad. So the only questions to my doc this time were, when, where, how many days and my gynaec still makes fun of this:rant. seriously necessity and experience makes you better and better at coping with emergencies..

I was operated, and I still remember my surgeon and anaestheist telling me, S, this the last time I want you on this table, there is no muscle tone, and I feel extremely bad to keep operating on you again and again. That was the 6th time my tummy was opened . I was 84kgs at that time I think. officially surgical menopause with a risk of hernia and other complications that could come from menopause. I was 35years old and 85kgs.

Enough of the medical history, please come to the point of weight loss(yeah I can hear you say that..)

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

The start of the journey:

I officially weighed around 90kgs when I really started. I actually maintained the 84kgs for 4 years, and my cardiologist was always going mad when he could not find any problem with my diet and activities.

Now I think God wanted me to have a wakeup call.. the problem started when a check up of my bone density (because i was complaining of body pain, cramps and flashes frequently) indicated a below minimum number . And I covered all the risk factors for the onset of osteoporosis... bronchitis, obesity, heart conditions and menopause.

Around the same time I slipped in the kitchen, and had a ligament tear and at that point my ortho showed me that I have the onset of osteoporosis. My gynaec wanted me to be on HRT immediately and wanted me to get my cardiologist go signal. When I met my cardio(bless him) he told me very patiently that HRT will not give me relief but could land me with other side effects and since I tend to put on weight easily because of my history of steroidal abuse, I could touch 100+ soon. He said, though my heart was working fine at that point, he did not want to put more strain and advised me to reduce weight..(which he has always been telling me.) and take it from there.

As a part of this he recommended a dietician. she was so rude, that i felt like giving her a piece of my mind. she asked me, you know your bmi, you know what is healthy, and what is not, you know what are your restrictions, and yet you are this obese..i just kept quiet and came back..(Looking back I believe this was the turning point for me. I knew she was right yet, I was too sensitive to accept her rudeness that it haunted me for quite some time.)

That was the time I read about two success stories here in IL. One of vahee and another shiva. Initially I took it lightly. But as I read through shiva’s experiences, somewhere I could relate to the pain and the angst of losing weight and inspiration led to motivation.

I started my weight loss at 90kgs. I used to walk in the terrace. Slowly I changed my food pattern. I switched to no or less oil, more vegetables,fruits and a positive attitude. I stopped thinking whatever I do, I am going to be obese. I learned to think I am going to reduce and be healthy for my kids. My kids were the strong force behind me seriousness of weight loss this time. With crucial years of their student years, with DD getting into her 10th, I did not want to put her through my sick phases which should be already making them sick.

The eating pattern change and the walking did something that did not happen earlier. A dip in my scale..how do you express the feeling, when the scale that always had only one direction changed direction. I was elated and more determined..

I think in jan 2010 I lost around 2.5kgs and by may 2010 I lost 10 kgs. Well if only things sailed smoothly, I started having problems, of pain, of water retention and other issues. During the check up they found I had 5 stones in my kidneys. Back to diet restrictions.i was not allowed to eat tomatoes, cucumber, greens, ash gourd, and many more fruits, anything that could be good for weight loss was a no for me.

I lost another 5 kgs with lot of hard work and working with the menu. That was around dec2010 -jan 2011 and my cardiologist advised me to take it slow from there, that for every one kg I lost, I should be able to maintain that for a week/15days and then lose again. I believe this was one of the sensible ideas.
    At my age (I was turning 40 at that time,) my skin was less forgiving to weight loss so this loss of 1 kg and maintaining helped me to keep my skin tone better. And he gave me weight loss target of 65 and said if I can reach 65, I would be doing myself a big favor and my body will thank me..:thumbsup

I was around 72 kgs in march 2011 when I started developing issues with uric acid formation, because of some side effect . The pain was unbearable. Moving my fingers both leg/hands was hell. I kept going with a smile as my dd had to finish her x exams. She did come out with a good grade. And by then inspite of all the diet restriction, I started gaining, I gained 5 kgs.

So I was back to being 77kgs and starting again. I started walking with leslie sansone inside the house rather than walking on the terrace. I used to walk a mile early morning. Then another in the afternoon and then again in the evening..split and rule my weakness. I lost the 5kgs around September 2011.

And was becoming more fitter, and more determine, as I have tasted success. So I was again at 72kgs. Well I wanted to be more fit for my daughter who had a very tough period ahead her xii board exams.

I had restrictions on milk, curds, proteins, vegetables, and to work around my allowed food was a nightmare. I started using all the cereals that we get. Made use of allowed vegetables. Somedays it was so boring to eat them. I started taking extra effort cooking for myself even if I was tired. I made a lot of healthier versions. So the trials sometimes added a kg here or there..

The best part of the whole exercise was my family learning to understand living fit and healthy.

I think I was 72-71 when I met shiva in may 2012. And I was inspired seeing her looking so fit,svelte inspite of being pregnant. I was back to walking more again. I would think of my dd’s board exams every time I wanted to bunk my exercise. Inspite of that weight I was so fit, I trekked and scaled new dunes in the desert at that time.

I was around 70 in august 2012, my birthday. I could easily fit into L and squeeze into a m size of a particular brand of kurthas.

Around September 2012 I sprained my spine. I was bedridden for month. I could not move, walk. I slowing started piling back a lot of the lost weight.i stopped checking my weight, as I did not want to go into stress or depression. I wanted to be back on my legs. The day I was brave to check my weight, it was at my doctor’s and it was 75..i gained back 5 kgs. So it was difficult to reduce the gained weight this time. My body has learnt my yo-yo and did not budge a lot. I was still on kidney stone medication and diet restriction.:bonk

Somewhere around December I lost tht 5 kgs and came to 70kgs. And I was elated and I remember I told Shiva I hit a plateau and I would be happy if I even reduce 1 kg a year. In January 2013 my daughter fell seriously ill, it was a touch and go. With the board exams, her sickness, taking care of her alone had its toll and I lost another kg.

I moved to the much coveted 69kgs..and I must say it is a magical number that I saw after almost 16 years. Wow, I did it was the feeling.

I had reached 68.5 only to bounce back to 69.5 because of a recent sickness. And back to being 69now.

In the whole journey, I have lost around 42kgs ( losing and gaining a few times). The best part is by just walking and eating sensibly. With the health issues, nothing strenuous is allowed. Many are surprised when I say I walked my way through weight loss literally.

I have moved from dress size of xxxl to m. I have fit into a pair of my daughter’s jeans and kurthas. A great achievement in itself. today I can get into m size from any brand. (all brands have their own sizes) there was a time when I would not get a dress for my size in any of the reputed brands..i used to get 2/3 sizes bigger salwar sets, re-stitch them to fit me

today it is a pleasure that I can pick a dress off the hanger and not be pointed madam you are in the wrong section.. I have lost a 16 inches at the hip, 10 inches at the waist, and my tailor tells me that everytime I keep on changing my measurements..and advices that after a point I should not loose much.

I still have health issues, but that does not stop me from trying. There are days when the spinal injuries make it debilitating painful and there are nice fun loving days. I take both as they come.

In the process of the weight loss journey, I have rediscovered my strength, both physical and emotional. I have learnt that I am my own first priority. I need to take care of myself first to help others.

I have gained a lot of patience because of the yo-yo.it has been a very very difficult, frustrating journey at times. If I was a determined person earlier I am now a stronger never say die person.

Today, I don’t look the mother of two teenagers, especially a 18 year old college going girl. (well that is the verdict by few of my friends who know me before and after, blushing)

It is all about fighting against all odds, in something you believe you can do,it is more about believing in ourselves, and doing something for self, which we forget during the course of our married life, where our priorities change and SELF goes down the table.

The journey continues..it is a life time journey of being fit and not losing the focus..of not losing track of SELF..

Alyssum, kalcandu, Ana12 and 120 others like this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I need to thank all my buddies here who have been a source of motivation, inspiration throughout this journey and still are as i don't feel i am at the end of the journey. Shiva major inspiration. Rmpriya was my co-traveller and has amazingly lost a lot of weight and i am sure she will reach the target, age and determination in her favor.
    ALPA, amazing lady who has a sweet word for everyone of us.

SGA for her consistency and fighting spirit. this keep fit forum has seen her emerging into a wonderful woman..and many more..

P.S. missed my tagline that i always use...if i could do it anybody can do it..

26 people like this.
  4. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dearest Darling Shanvy,

I read from beginning to the end in one go. OMG, this is such an inspirational post. I am so happy that you wrote it. I surely will be directing lot of readers to this thread. What makes this journey so remarkable is your show of pure determination and strength. Its always easy to give in to our circumstances BUT a real winner is the one who stand up against all odds, who is hit by the biggest stone but still manages to shout back at the life 'hit me harder next time', who in spite of other people's frustration does not simply give up. You my friend are a true winner.

If you were in front of me I would have hugged you. You are an inspiration to me and to lot of women out there not only because of your weight loss BUT also because of your fighting spirit. I salute to you my friend.

Love

angeldreams, bhucat, SunPa and 28 others like this.
  5. PriyaPrahlad

PriyaPrahlad Silver IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,
    First of all congrats for reaching your target inspite of all odds.
    Thanks for the posting your success story which is a really really great inspiration for many people like me who are in the weight loss journey.
    regards,
    Priya

1 person likes this.
  6. ssumi

ssumi Silver IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,

It was amazing how you have come out of all odd situtations. You are such inspiration for all of us. I was thinking I have all the problems and made a excuse of not taking care of myself. But look at you, you have set an example, I will definately think of you whenever I feel low or demotivating.

You did a big favour for us to write down your journey. Thanks for that.

Keep motivating and Keep Smiling.
    God Bless you :)

1 person likes this.
  7. shivanithakur

shivanithakur Silver IL'ite

Dear Shanvi,

Heartiest Congratulations on your success story. Really you have done very hard work. Its an another inspirational story like Shiva's for all us who are on the way to lose their weight.

Best Regards/ Shivani

1 person likes this.
  8. Sendeepa

Sendeepa Silver IL'ite

I lost almost 30 kgs in 2004 . Thats a history now since I have put on so much weight post pregnancy. Your post has rekindled my thought and has motivated me. I am thinking as to when should I start my weight loss regime and here I go. I am preparing my schedule, vows and commitments now. Thanks for igniting me. Kudos to your spirit and since I have already been through this once I know how difficult it must have been for you. Keep going.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    Sansa, Shanvy and krishlakshmi like this.
  9. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanvy Ma,

It was really an inspiring one for all of us and my god how much struggles and difficulties you have had with your health.

Really You are rocking lady..would love to see your pictures too,It would be really great.

Shanvy likes this.
  10. rmpriya

rmpriya IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for writing Shanvy . So motivating .

And thanks for the mention , I am not going to give up , Will keep working on my target .

4 people like this.