1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How to Lose Weight after Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by coolblues, Jan 7, 2013.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

225.jpg

Congratulations, for having delivered your baby! You have many things to think of – feeding your baby, soothing her and yes, how to get rid of those extra pounds that you easily packed during your pregnancy. If you were overweight before pregnancy and added more weight, then you may take up to a year to shed the pounds. If you were having normal weight before pregnancy and added about 10-11 kilograms, then you could be back to your normal weight in about four to six months, if you watch your food and exercise. Never take up any dieting or exercise for the first six weeks immediately after delivery since you should let the body recuperate after childbirth.

Patience: Like any other goal, it takes a lot of determination and patience to get back to your original weight. While it is good that you want to get back to your usual self as quickly as possible, do remember that your body has undergone childbirth, one of the complex processes of nature. It will take time for the body to heal. Therefore, it is important to be kind to your body and set realistic goals. Yes, it is essential to lose baby weight after pregnancy, however, do not rush forgoing you and your baby’s needs.

Eat Smart: Do not diet but eat smart. Eating a well-balanced variety of foods will keep you feel full and gives your energy to tend your baby throughout the day. Keep healthy snacks all around the house that you can eat all through the day – apple slices, carrot sticks, wheat crackers, banana, grapes, your favorite fruits and nuts are important for breastfeeding women. You must also include high protein since your baby get the nutrition from the food you eat – fish, eggs, legumes, milk, yogurt , sufficient water are some recommended foods. Stay away from processed foods that are high in oil, sodium and sugar. Eat several small meals than few large ones and never skip a meal!

Breastfeed: Research studies confirm that exclusive breastfeeding show greater loss in fat as well as a reduction in hip and thigh circumference. Crash diets and other rapid weight loss techniques can present several problems for nursing mothers. Diet that strips away nutrition is harmful for your body, which is yet to recover from childbirth. It is also dangerous for the baby since it depends on the kind of nutrition that you get.

Keep Moving: Diet and exercise are two important essentials for post-pregnancy weight loss. You don’t have to go to gym to get back in shape. Brisk walking, walking up and down the stairs, jogging, cycling, swimming are some easy ways to lose calories. You must aim to get at least 150 minutes a week of exercise. With a new baby, finding 30 minutes a day will be a challenge. Start with 15-20 minutes and increase the time gradually. Carrying a baby around all the day itself is a good workout. You may feel frustrated taking out time with such a hectic schedule. Nevertheless, remember that exercises not only help you lose the flab but also prevent depression, sleeplessness and is a great stress reliever.

Sleep: Yes, it is understandable that getting prolonged and peaceful sleep may not be in the radar with a newborn. However, sleep deprivation can also lead to weight gain. In addition, an overworked body without much sleep can make you feel exhausted and stressed. You may not feel like taking care of yourself. Lack of sleep can make you overeat, choose less healthy food and procrastinate any physical activity. Make small adjustments to your lifestyle such as sleeping when your baby sleeps is certainly good for new moms! Take a number of naps during the day, which will help you feel refreshed to tackle the rest of the day.

Support: Discuss and ask for help if required. Family members and friends can chip in while you can sneak is sometime to get back to your original self.

Happy Mommyhood!

What did you do to reduce weight after delivery? Do you have some tips to share?

Admin Note: Check the following links for more information on post delivery fitness

Say Goodbye to Love Handles
    5 Post Pregnancy Weight Loss Tips
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/forward-messages-and-jokes/131338-post-pregnancy-exercise.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/pregnancy/180835-mommy-after-the-birth.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/p...o-fitness-during_and_after_pregnancy-pdf.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...149791-post-partum-weight-loss-challenge.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/pregnancy/168444-pregnancy-weight-after-cesaren.html

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    3 people like this.

2. hydee

hydee Bronze IL'ite

Nice post.. Thanks for sharing

3. melon123

melon123 IL Hall of Fame

thanks coolblues for sharing this article....

i am a overweight person and i added pounds in both my pregnancies... first time failed in attempting for weightloss.... post c section i gained some 6 kgs... that i managed to lose with healthy eating... i eat every 2 hours... no rice,sugar...no junk and fried food as well.... am exclusively bf my 5 months old... i drink 3 lts water and 30 mins walking... with the combination of all this i am losing weight.... i have 6 more kgs to go to reach my 2nd pre pregnancy weght... will keep updating my progress here...

1 person likes this.
  4. cedantseq

cedantseq New IL'ite

good for all mothers , great work coolblues, keep it up