1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Household chores for weight loss

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by coolblues, Dec 19, 2012.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

145.jpg

Do you wonder if there are ways to lose weight without going to the gym or buying an expensive exercise equipment? Household chores can help you burn calories without denting your wallet. Here are five chores that can help you lose weight, if done on a daily basis.
    1. Vacuuming: This chore will keep your house clean as well as help you burn around 300 calories per hour. Mopping the flooring can burn more calories.
    2. Grocery Shopping: Pushing the cart, walking in the store and waiting in the line at a grocery store can burn about 240 calories per hour.
    3. Move Furniture Around: Redefine the looks of your house by moving furniture around. Rearranging will beautify your house as well as help you burn 420 calories per hour.
    4. Ironing: Add up burning 120 more calories by ironing the clothes. This helps to tone the muscles of the upper body.
    5. Climb the Stairs: Carrying up the stairs with reasonable amount of weight such as bags, books, clothes can help you burn 70 calories every 15 minutes! If you had to repeat this 5 times a day, imagine the number of calories that you could easily burn.

Leading an active lifestyle also involves doing household chores. Get up, get moving by doing such chores, and derive some great health benefits!

Do you believe that household chores can help in losing weight? What are some chores that you are certain that can help in weight loss?

Admin Note: Check out other relevant links on weight loss and household chores

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...343-reduce-weight-doing-household-chores.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/f...6324-doing-household-chores-can-increase.html

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
    15 people like this.

2. mommynow

mommynow Silver IL'ite

Wow.. these simple household chores can burn so much of calories:). Liked your 2nd point very much:hide::thankyou2:

3. coolblues

Looks like you love shopping, isn't it ? :)

Regards.

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Very good. I saw this on the sidebar and came here.
    This is what I mentioned in the Time Management thread.

I am going to give a link there to this thread.
    thanks for posting it.

5. saarang

saarang Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice tips thanks for posting

6. Bhavani22

Bhavani22 Gold IL'ite

All the household chores help us to be fit.
    My grand ma only few yrs back complained of back ache but me now itself :( . even at this age she does all the household chores herself...

Washing clothes and drying it in sun- best exercise for upper body and good exposure to sun, as now a days i see many people reporting with VIT D deficiency.

7. coolblues

Very true, Bhavani.. it is no wonder that people of yesteryears are so fit and agile and we are already shaky.. Also, I think the society that we live in, fumes on doing household work. Very recently, I was having a conversation with a mom, during which I brought up the topic of doing household chores. I got a feeling that she felt that it was not her department and it was of her maid's ... no wonder she is already gasping for breath while walking, obese and already has knee problems!

Our lifestyle has changed where our lives have been made comfortable with various appliances. It is a boon as well a bane for all of us.. !

5 people like this.
  8. lakshmi05

lakshmi05 Silver IL'ite

Good thread.

Once I was so crazy in doing all the chores myself. But after the removal of gall bladder surgery about 10 years ago, I was forced to take rest and started depending on maids for two months. Some two years back i had an accident and 100% maids and machines for some six months. Ageing is also another factor.

Simple exercises, walking, using staircase, regular cleaning the home are some i do nowadays to keep me fit.

Lakshmi.

9. mommynow

mommynow Silver IL'ite

:iagree But my DH hates shopping:bonk

10. coolblues

:) It is the same story everywhere!

1 person likes this.