1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Piling On Pounds in Winter

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by coolblues, Nov 14, 2012.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

wlksdjfa398234.jpg

A new survey on people who want to shed pounds has found that winter is the worst part of the year when they actually pile up few extra pounds. This may be cause of the weather condition, which is a deterrent for many to exercise outside or even go to the gym. People confess to eating more comfort foods when the climate is cold.

The influence of hormones also has a considerable impact, which attributes to the seasonal weight gain. The fluctuations in hormones an affect appetite, sleep disorders and even depression. Winter depression leads to overeating or bingeing on junk foods, which leads to more depression and weight gain. Since the body metabolism slows down during winter, we end up storing more fat even though we eat less.

Studies also indicate that low levels of vitamin D are also a cause of overweight and obesity. Get out and rev up the metabolism with exercise and good amount of physical activity.

So, with the winter fast approaching, it is time for you to think and revise your eating and exercise plans to stay in shape!

Admin Note: Here are few articles and threads that discuss on physical workouts

Running in Winter
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...hape/200786-fitness-exercises-for-winter.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indians-in-midwest/15990-weight-loss-in-winter.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-food-and-living/198928-three-simple-ways-keep-you.html

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    2 people like this.

2. supreep

supreep Gold IL'ite

Good read!
    Can someone who has still managed to lose weight in winters update about their diet and workout regime?
    It will be helpful for everyone here.

3. saarang

saarang Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

4. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

I have experienced this winter weight gain after coming to USA. I usually pack up to 6pounds easily but I get rid off this in summer upto 10pounds again.So this has been like a regular feature for me. This is what I try to do my best during winter in terms of diet and exercsie:

1. Tune your mind to have more of soups throughout winter. So the first step here is looking for recipes. Google,bookmark or search in youtube videos and collect all recipes. Check Shiva's blog too. Have atleast 3 days of soup ( veggies should be more), salad and fruits only or soup and very light dinner.

2. Not everytime we have the same energy and mood to cook food especially diet food. So I buy soup powder mixes mostly ching's secret. I cut veggies and keep it handy. With this powder all I have to do is add cooked veggies and water. We have to first add this powder in cold water and then boil it,else lumps will be formed.

3.Instead of making roti and sabji seperately, i try to make 2 parathas for dinner, this way there will be a check on our consumption.

4. Take vitamin d supplements after consulting a doc. Most asians in US take this.

5. Try to skip the gym and walk in the sun whenever possible for vit d absorption.

6. Rely on Leslie's walk at home videos instead of skipping the workout. Some kind of workout is better than nothing at all.

7. Find a like-minded buddy and tag with them for walks.

8. This winter Im going to try indoor sports like badminton or table-tennis. Our aim should be to sweat. Explore your interests and try something new and exciting. Salsa,bellydancing,zumba,heated yoga are some options.

9. Make low-calories homemade snacks and keep it for evening munching.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/blogs/shivachoubey/2933-the-goody-bag-page13.html

Hope this helps.

6 people like this.
  5. anu1215

anu1215 Platinum IL'ite