1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What to eat or drink after workout?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by jpriya224, Oct 6, 2012.

1. jpriya224

jpriya224 New IL'ite

Hi,

I feel very hungry after doing workout. I see in previous threads there were suggestions to take food with proteins. Can someone please suggest me specifically what should i eat before and after gym?

Thanks
    Priya.

Admin Note: Here are relevant links on what to eat for a workout

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...shape/196355-you-eating-right-food-after.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...hape/193400-what-eat-drink-after-workout.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/131922-what-eat-drink-right-after.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013

2. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  3. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

4. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hi CoolBlues,
    I have read your posts and they are very informative.I also wanted some help regarding this ,am posting my query here instead of starting another thread.
    -My problem is that I'm prone to acid reflux attacks.My body gets heated up very fast.Whenever I overdo in the gym,I get feelings of dizziness,headache,nausea which is unbearable and puts me out of action for another day or so..this is not helping me at all.
    I tried reading all the threads here,and understand that its best to workout before breakfast.But thats not working out for me.They say,have fruit one hr before wkout. So I have some fruit(apple).But the day I do something extra,I get this problem. What should I do?Should I get myself checked for any deficiencies?If I were in India,would have walked into my GP's office.Here,things are so complicated and expensive.So I hope you can help me out.
    This weekend,I went for a group class,which I enjoyed.I somehow kept going,no problems till I finished.Then the usual dizziness..etc happend.So , I had a fruit smoothie. Then I got high fever also.I think I made a mistake having some thing so cold after a heated wkout.
    Today,no wkout,feeling fat(ter) already!

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

racr, take a banana if you can before you start your workout. banana is filling, nutritious and does not induce acidity while apple can..

maybe you sweat profusely, and your salt levels come down fast. some body compositions are that way. better keep a bottle of water with you. you can always have sips of it. if you want you can also enrich it with a spoon of glucose..

And do not over work out..it does more harm than good. though we all want instant results it is not possible. each of us are made differently. there are people who can burn more than 500calories a day and still be chirpy while some who droop..so just don't go by other's experiences..take cues from those experiences..and understand your body.

never drink cold items..when you work out, you are increasing not only your heart rate, your body's temperature..so a real cold smoothie would have drastically decreased the temperature..

and always increase gradually.. if you work out on a treadmill, start with 2 km at 4km/h speed, and 0 incline..slowly move to 3 and 4..but allow your body to understand..and then you can run/jog at 11 too.. it is all about understanding our body and working with it..

6. rbpmalar

rbpmalar Senior IL'ite

Take alot of water.

Malar

7. Bhavshy

Bhavshy New IL'ite

Hi, You should take food rich in proteins, like wholemeal bread, fruits, eggs, some nuts, eat 40 min before your workout but you should eat before workout or you might feel dizzy. After workout I take protein shake, which is very filling, u can add fresh cut fruits to make it more filling, with some honey.

8. rbpmalar

rbpmalar Senior IL'ite

You are right.

Malar

9. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Shanvy,for your great response. I do keep drinking water while working out.I guess you are right,I will add some glucose to it. You are so right,I feel quite drained some days after a workout,while in theory one should feel more energised for the day. I will try to listen to the signals my body sends me..right now,I only know it afterwards,and that doesn't help.Thank you so much.

10. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Bhavshy! I will eat something before the workout from now on.I used to take a fruit,looks like its not enough.I will add some protein element as well. Any other tips would be welcome.