1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Just having belly fat more dangerous than being obese

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by SGA, Sep 25, 2012.

1. SGA

SGA IL Hall of Fame

Having a pot belly – even if you are not overweight – poses a greater risk of death from heart problems than being generally obese, warn doctors.

A ‘spare tyre’ around the waist is uniquely dangerous because it is packed with ‘bad fat’, research shows.

The US study found that those who were not overweight but had a bulging midriff were 2.75 times more at risk of dying from cardiovascular disease than normal weight and a proportionate waistline.

They were also at 2.08 times the risk of dying prematurely from all causes.

Most strikingly, people with a healthy overall weight but too much abdominal fat were even more likely to be heart victims than generally obese people, whose risk was 2.34 times more than those of normal weight with a regular waistline.

Middle-aged spread – known as central obesity – is partly responsible for the development of heart disease and diabetes.

Fat packed around the organs in the abdomen is more dangerous than fat on the hips because it’s ‘metabolically active’, releasing more of the inflammatory, toxic chemicals that raise heart disease risk.

Source :Why having a pot belly 'is a bigger heart risk than obesity' | Mail Online

1 person likes this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

this study has always been there. and also the waist to hip ratio was one common calculator and indicator of health risk.

and there are times when i read about studies like this i don't mind my pear shape..

3. SGA

SGA IL Hall of Fame

Calculate your waist to Hips Ratio

Waist to Hip Ratio (WHR) = Waist measurement/ hips measurement

Code:
    [B]Waist to Hip Ratio Chart[/B]
    Male                    Female	        Health Risk Based Solely on WHR
    0.95 or below	       0.80 or below    Low Risk
    0.96 to 1.0	       0.81 to 0.85	Moderate Risk
    1.0+	               0.85+	        High Risk

4. SGA

SGA IL Hall of Fame

i need to reduce my waist more because of PCOS and irregular P** :hide:

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I know love, you will definitely do it. my daughter is doing yoga, but the 12th std stress is also keeping her on the thinner side, she has been losing weight like anything inspite of it.

6. pinki13

pinki13 Gold IL'ite

i think i can count myself in this category..my total fat is in my belly side.. leg are normal upper part of body is normal hand are full and waist:bowdown.. i just came to know about the cabbage soup diet will try that on next week.. and i also trying hard to loose weight..due to pcos and endo hard to reduce and maintain...:drowning

7. SGA

SGA IL Hall of Fame

We are in same boat( PCOS) ... even i want to reduce waist line and its really difficult to do it .. More because i dont want any further problems because of huge tummy .....

i have tried GM diet but it didnt worked that much on me

8. pinki13

pinki13 Gold IL'ite

yea seems like this pcos is a live devil inside us..even i took fast for all 9 days in navratri but at last after 10 days cant even loose half pound..so depressing..let me try this cabbage soup diet n let u know after next week..
    this time iam trying so hard from 1st of september tracking everything food and exercise even i can see some changes in my face and in my legs.. but no changes in my waist coz of this i stop wearing jeans n short..when ever i meet any of my friend they said oh u lost weight n iam like hell no.. just my face squeeze.. its is really hard to loose inchs in my waist..

9. SGA

SGA IL Hall of Fame

@pinky

All the Best

10. Akineel

Akineel Platinum IL'ite

Hey hope u had nice time and njoyed Ur vacation...
    Even I had pcos...

Before preg I was trying to reduce that 5-6 kgs which I gained after marriage.
    Workout everyday,burnt min 300 cals. Followed diet.
    Ended up with severe acidity. Even after 6 months I didn't lose any...
    Met doc or acidity and found so many probes...

Thyroid, pcos, uterus abnormalities, high prolactin...undergone hysteroscopy for abnormality and their they removed cyst. And it took more than 6 months for thyroid and prolactin to come back to normal... So almost for 1 yr I int lose any... My hubby and parents didn't bother much about my weight and thy stared giving pressure or baby. Put on 10 kgs... Till 2 months back I was maintaining that 84 ;)...My kid is turning one next month... Have to bring my weight below 79. And next goal s to bring to 74 by march...

Wish me dear...and pray for me...
    Happy to share you that I lost 1.5kgs from sep 1st. Now standing Btwn 79 to 80.

1 person likes this.