1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Mothers, how do you Lose weight post delivery?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shruthipraveen, May 10, 2012.

1. shruthipraveen

shruthipraveen Platinum IL'ite

I've a big fat post pregnancy tummy to lose and lots of weight(80kgs now@ 5ft 2")Sigh!!!
    Been thinking of walking on the treadmill(at home) ever since the boy was 6 weeks old- I have not even started even though he's nearing 6 months now!
    The problem is I just don't have the energy after sleepless nights!!!
    Neither am I making an effort to cut back food under the pretext of feeding. Sigh!
    How do you all do it?

2. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

re: Mothers, how do you do it?

Hi Shruthi,
    How have you been doing? Long time that we got in touch.
    Am sure you agree that the weight gained over the span of 9 months cant be reduced overnight. It takes time to lose those kgs. Dont hurry in losing weight and stop eating. Lose weight gradually but permanantly.

1. Breast feeding helps lose weight.
    2. Once your son begins crawling and you begin running after him, u lose weight. Funny but TRUE.
    3. You can start off with simple things like bending and lifting simple weights. Am not sure if you can lift heavy ones. I have been doing all the regular chores from the 21st day after my surgery. Though people suggested me to take umpteen rest, i was scared of putting on weight if i slept too much. I never slept in the day times. I survived on whtever sleep i got in the nights, sometimes i slept after brkfast but never post lunch.

4. Now that the kid is 6 months old, you can take him in a pram and go for a walk inthe evening.
    All this as a beginning. Going forward, you can increase the distance and speed of the walk.

5. Reduce on the carbs intake, Eat halthy food rather than unhealthy fatty food. :)

This is all out of my personal experience. Not sure if all this work out for you. I was 82kgs when I delivered DS. Now I am 64. Yet to lose a few Kgs.
    My motivation to lose weight was my jeans. Somehow i cannot imagine myself not fitting into my fav jeans and fav kurtis.

2 people like this.
  3. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Shruthi, thanks for starting this thread...I'm also in a similar situation. I want to reduce my tummy fat and also fat around my thighs. Though I look very thin, the tummy prevents me to fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans.

I was 54 kgs when I got pregnant, went upto 68 kgs after my delivery. A few days after my DD was born, I was around 63 kgs and when she was 3 months old, my weight came down to 59 kgs. From then on, I'm struck. Though I'm breastfeeding my DD, my weight doesn't seem to reduce. More than the weight, the tummy fat is what's bothering me as I'm not able to get into many of my pre-pregnancy clothes.:hide:

I've started going for walks with my DD in the evenings. I've been giving her bath in the traditional way (putting on my legs) and that seems to have increased my flexibility a little bit. I'm not taking any fatty foods or junk foods. Other mommies who managed to get back to your pre-pregnancy clothes, would like to hear your inputs.

1 person likes this.
  4. shruthipraveen

ankyou so much Shal for all the tips. :) I had managed to lose all the preggie wt(20 kgs )and some more after my first delivery- but not so motivated this time. :-(((( That's the main prob- Let me see...

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Count me in. I have always been on the fat side which just adds up to the struggle. At the end of the day proper exercise is only going to help us. Guess we should start a post delivery weight loss club!

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sruthi, it's hard but we have to do something. So I started with the below last month:

1. Create an excel spreadsheet with weekly meal plan. I have cut out rice; having it only twice a week. Include protein. This has not only made my day easy (oh I used to waste so much time thinking what to cook), it also helps in budget and weight.
    2. Going for walk with daughter twice a day.

7. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

As members mentioned here, once the kid is moving around, it sure is so much workout running behind them. I am yet to control my diet especially I need to make interesting food for my toddler and end up stuffing myself after she's done ;-) I had gained 40 pounds during my pregnancy :mrgreen: I know !! I lost 20 immediately within days of delivery and the remaining 10 in a few months. But the last 10 was the hard to shed. I didn't do any specific diet control or exercise, I am 1-2 pounds shy off of pre- pregnancy weight mostly its my abdomen ;-) I think. But I am happy, so guys don't stress too much, your body knows and it will shed if u have some basic workout (like running behind ur kid, doing most of the households on your own (I work, but I make sure I do dish washing and not use dishwasher) and walking whenever you get a chance (Every weekend we went to mall during winter and just walked window shopping because it was boring :)

8. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    As NS said, it just happens.. i also lost weight post delivery.. infact i am now back to my weight i was 2-3 years back..2-3 kgs less than pre-pregnancy weight. i didnt do anything.. dint follow any diet except the strict dieting in the first 3 months. when i was at home taking care of LO, i lost lots of weight, now that i joined back work, the weight loss has stopped as i am eating on time and started eating junk foods and sitting for long hours :p
    but i still have fat arnd tummy..

No dieting while bfing have nutritous home made food. Avoid junk and outside food.
    And dont stuff in too much just because you are breastfeeding.. even if u eat the same quantity u were eating earlier, u will produce sufficient milk..now that LO's have started on solids i guess we can limit our intakes. Ex: if u were eating 2 chapathis, now u can have 3.. u need a little extra food and energy to produce milk and to take care of LO.

9. shruthipraveen

Great to see the responses!
    I had systematically planned out my calorieintake/expenditre by keeping a calorie journal after my first delivery- Only the starting is the problem- Starting Trouble!
    I have bought Rujuta Diwekar's books(both of them) and all she says makes sense- want to try it out- That requires more planning as she advises us to eat every 2 hrs!

10. shruthipraveen

Great tips there, Rakii, NandShyam and chotabheem!
    Ramya, let's start a club as you said!