1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

what are the uses of flax seeds and how to take?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by tanu khurana, Feb 10, 2012.

1. tanu khurana

tanu khurana Bronze IL'ite

2. Nallaanlakshmi

Nallaanlakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Generally flax seeds are used as a substitute for eggs in baking recipes. It is rich in fiber and helps in reducing cholesterol and also helps minimizing the risk of breast and prostate cancer in women.

3. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

I use them in smoothies and on yoghurt. I just like the taste-here's a website about the benefits etc. WHFoods: Flaxseeds

4. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

From what I know you can

- sprinkle them on salads, yogurt and munch it off..
    - ground them into powder, mix it as a drink (warm water)
    - soak overnight in water and drink the following day.

5. krishvish

krishvish New IL'ite

Hai,

Iam 35 and i started using flax seeds daily in the morning empty stomach. The important thing while taking flax seed as it is means we should chew it well and then only eat. Actually it is very good for ladies since it increases estrogen level. But we should remember one thing that we should take a small quantity only daily. When i started eating i dont know anything abt the quantity so i took in the morning one full spoon and then afternoon with the salads also. So i got a problem in my mensuration cycle. So i consult my doctor she advised me to take it in a small quantity. So i learned before taking anything new we should know about that fully.

Regards
    Sharu

6. lakshmit

lakshmit Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    We being vegetarian my child's pediatrician asked us to visit a nutrionist, she told us that flax seed has omega 3 and that helps to increase the HDL- which is the good cholesterol. So, i add milled flax seed while preparing roti. 1tbsp for 2 cups of atta, 1 tsp in upma, smoothies etc. Take little on a daily basis...

lakshmi.

7. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi lakshmi,

Im looking to start flax seeds for my kids too. Can you tell me which brand do you buy and from which store? Do you grind the seeds or just add it to rotis etc

8. chitratrc

chitratrc Senior IL'ite

Hi All
    This thread abt flax seeds is quite interesting. I too want to know little more abt flax seeds like lakshmi asked. Thank you all.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Flax seeds contain phyto-estrogen and should be used with understanding..anything in excess is harmful.

flax seeds has a nutty taste. I use it as a substitute in eggless baking..

i also have it as podi for rice/idli.. i liberally use it in soups and salads exclusively for myself as i need estrogen.

pman, i make fresh batches grind a tablespoon of flax seed and use it within 2 days..flax seed oil is equally good as a salad dresser.

10. Dibu

Dibu Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Flax seeds are rich in Omega 3 which are good for brain development. This is an ideal source of omega 3 for vegetarians. I give my DD everyday 2 tbs of flax seed oil mixed in curd rice as flax seeds are difficult to digest for kids.