1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Exercise at home - Help needed

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by NetraDivya, Jul 28, 2011.

1. NetraDivya

NetraDivya Junior IL'ite

Hi all,

I have never worked out in my life until I joined a gym 3 months back. My weight was about 65 kg when I started out and now down to 60.5. Thanks for the motivation and support friends (special thanks to Alpha for supporting me)Bow.

My B.Ed course starts on Aug 1st. Obviously, I had to discontinue gym. Being a mother of a toddler, going to gym thrice a week is also not possible for me. Hope you understand. I can do brisk walking and follow diet at home.
    My questions are, do we gain weight if we discontinue going to gym?:hide: I am 5 feet 2 inches tall (157 cm) and weigh 60.5. Is this the ideal weight for my height (I dont want to look skinny).

Please suggest some yoga and exercises to reduce tummy which I can do at home. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:help

Thanks and Regards
    Divya

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

2. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

If you stop exercising and eat the same portions, yes, you are going to gain weight. That said, there are numerous home exercise videos, and you can always buy a pair of weights, or resistance bands, or an exercise ball, or a simple a skipping rope, run, walk etc, all outside of a gym. You need the will, not the gym to lose weight.

Go to Self or Shape on the web, and there are numerous home exercise videos you can try for your specific concerns. For core strengthening, try some Pilates vids, improves your posture too.

3. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

offcourse, brisk walk and proper diet will help maintain your weight :)

4. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Yes. I agree with others. If you are not working out and eat the same portion you will gain weight. Weigh yourself regularly and try to eat healthy. There are lot of workout videos you can get from your library. If you can get a fitness equipment and exercise at home whenever time permits. Good luck!!!

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Divya,
    Congrats for reducing around 5kgs:) Ofcourse you will gain weight if you stop working out and dont do portion control. But stopping gym and starting workingout at home wont increase weight. Since you have already worked out 3months at gym you might be knowing some of the weight training exercises. If possible get a pair of dumbbells and start doing those exercises at home.You can probably alternate between cardio(like brisk walking) and weight trainig. So that workout wont get monotonous and you wont get bored. You will get loads of information from this forum and also at google for various workout options at home. Set small goals and gift yourself something you would love to have when you achieve it. It could be a yoga mat/new workout clothes etc. I have found this site really helpful, may be you can get a few tips from there as well: Weight Training For Women. Shape Up At Home .Also keep in mind not to forget about moderation and portion control of your food along with working out.

6. NetraDivya

NetraDivya Junior IL'ite

Thank you Dhaanika, sureshmiyer, Rums, and amihere for your reply and valuable suggestions.

7. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Netra,
    all the hard work was done by you, if you cannot join the gym then do brisk walking it really helps, eat small portions of food avoid fried foods include more fruits in your diet and rink 2 litres of hot water through out the day.
    if you do this you will be able to maintain your weight.
    love
    alpa:cheers

8. PinkRubies

PinkRubies Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Try the couch to 5 k prgram, (google it), its a chart that helps a begginer to start running/jogging

9. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Iam of the same height and i remember my gynaec had told that 57 is the max range of the ideal weight. So 60 is not too far from it. But yes, tummy is a problem for me too though my weight is only around 53 now. The tummy is due to delivery and not due to overeating in my case. I think same is the case with you? So you will have to do strectching exercise targeted for the abs... and upper stomach. It is due to muscle loosening so that has to regain its original shape. Not sure if dieting alone will help.

1 person likes this.