1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What to eat/ drink right after workout

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by lavendar, Apr 14, 2011.

1. lavendar

lavendar New IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    I feel hungry after workout and I want to eat something because I have no energy left after gym.
    What can we eat / drink right after a workout ?

Please suggest !

regards,
    lavendar

Admin Note: Here are some relevant links on foods to eat after workout

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...shape/196355-you-eating-right-food-after.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...hape/193400-what-eat-drink-after-workout.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/131922-what-eat-drink-right-after.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Things that should not be eaten after a workout is FAT
    Things that must be eaten after a workout is Carbohydrates and Protein

How soon should one eat?
    -As soon as possible

What foods can be eaten?

Foods rich in protein like boiled chick peas or whey protein if you prefer
    For carbs, chose healthy carbs like whole wheat bread, brown rice as they contain fiber

3. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

I used to take apple before and after workout. Is that fine?

4. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Lavanya,
    have any fruit an hour or 2 hours before your gym work out or your exercise session it will help you, infact have a banana as it helps to curb your hunger. i normally have a tangerine and hour before my work out and i sip in water during my intervals and i normally have my dinner an hour after my work out basically i finish gym at 6.30pm, by the time i reach home is almost 7pm i shower and i have dinner by 7.45pm so i am fine.
    love
    alpa:cheers

5. swathika

swathika Junior IL'ite

What I typically do is to have a banana about an hour before and come back to have a protein drink. and then have my breakfast (carbohydrates). I also sip water in between my workouts and see that it really makes me kick start the speed.

Swats

6. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

avoid any fat items.. and eat protein rich food and fiber rich will fill ur stomach too

7. FirSrk

FirSrk Senior IL'ite

I usually have orange and lots of water after the workout. Refreshes me.

8. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

After a workout, you typically want to consume protein since it helps your muscles heal faster. Also, it won't hurt as much the next day :)

9. FirSrk

FirSrk Senior IL'ite

Chinni,
    Thanks for the tip. My muscles do get very sore. Will try this idea

10. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hello ladies,
    I read an article yesterday which talked about 'what not to eat after a workout'. Not sure if I can post the link here,so will give a gist here .

Foods to Avoid Post Your Workout

1)Raw vegetables: While raw vegetables are healthy as they are full of nutrients, they aren’t enough to sustain your body after an intense workout. They fare poorly as post-workout recovery food, as they don’t have enough calories to help restore energy or maintain your metabolic rate. Unless you consume raw vegetables with a protein rich supplement (like a hummus dip!), they’re not a healthy option.

2) Aerated drinks: They may be your favourite thirst-quenchers but fizzy soft drinks should specifically be avoided after a workout. Why? Because they contain high amounts of sugar that slows down metabolism, so if you’re trying to lose weight, they’re counterproductive! Instead, drink electrolytes or plain water to rehydrate your body.

3)Salted goodies: Potato chips and salty crisps may be tempting snacks, but they contain excessive salt, which lowers the levels of potassium in your body. Since potassium is a mineral essential for cell function, the last thing you need is to deplete more potassium with a salty food binge. If you want a bite, opt for baked chips, which are unsalted.

4)Sweets & chocolates: Chocolates (especially milk chocolates) and sugary sweets are off-limits, as they offer you nothing that will help recharge your body, post a workout. They are high in sugar, as well as calories, and have very little nutritional value. Drink a glass of chocolate milk instead; it is much more beneficial, as it provides a calcium boost.

5)Fried eggs: Eggs are generally healthy and they make for a great post-workout food, as they are filled with proteins and nutrients like choline that are beneficial for your heart. But there’s a catch — when eggs are fried, they get cooked in fats such as butter. So if you’re craving for eggs after your workout, don’t fry them. Eat them boiled, as boiled eggs provide nutrition without adding more saturated fat.

6)Cereals: Cereals can be deceptive — while some are healthy, there are others that are overloaded with sugar. In fact, according to a study, there are certain cereals that contain more sugar than a regular chocolate bar! Sometimes, in refined cereals, the fibre is removed and so are all the vitamins and minerals. So it’s best to not consume them after your workout.

I usually eat cereals after workout ;)!

7) I also read somewhere that one shouldn't eat an apple ,but with something else.Reason being that apple doesnt get fully digested,and its fruit sugars may ferment and cause bloating.So its better to supplement it with something else,or have herbal tea before an apple-to stabilise the digestive system. Not sure if this is true.