1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Eating in moderation - a way of life

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by ptamil2007, Mar 14, 2011.

1. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I wanted to start this thread, but waited till I overcome my short comings.

I can be described as emotional eater.

I eat a lot when I stressed.
    I have to keep eating when I am sitting - at the computer desk or when watching TV.

When I am kept busy with work at home, I dont eat much.

So when I was not working, I did not gain so much weight. But when I started working, I gained 10 kgs in a matter of 2-3 months.

Now in the process of bringing back weight to normal range, I want to make this change for lifetime.

Hence this thread to share opinions and help each other (exp, people like me)

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Portion sizes

Problem:

I eat a lot of portion sizes. I dont feel satified if I eat less.
    I eat a lot of veggies, but that too I have to eat more

Resolution:
    1. Eat Slowly: doesnt work for me. I am a fast eater.
    2. Eat variety: This is working for me. I keep grated carrot, chopped cucumbers, tomatoes in the fridge. Just before eating any meal, I take a bowl full of the three, add some lime juice.
    3. Drink buttermilk before meal: This also helps me. I love buttermilk. Drinking a glass of butter milk is helping me to cut down on the quantity of rice/chapatis.

Finally, it is all in the 'Mind'. But I am not there yet

3. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

Re: Portion sizes

Hi Ptamil,

Once again a nice thread for the persons who want to loose weight.
    During my child hood and during college days, i m less eater and maintained my weight 55kg. Cant even imagine that weight now. I m 80kgs now.

When i started working...i got a friend who is a nice eater. Really on seeing her, i loved to eat all foods. I will get sick often as i have not taken good ffood during childhood days, I m big problem to my mum, and she will force me for eating. But now when i eat less i could not console me. My mind is thinking u ate less and u ll feel hungry like that. I have to remove that from my mind. I should think as if i m eating healthy food than before. I could not control my hunger thats the biggest problem also i have ulcer for which if i leave without eating it starts.

Solution i m thinking is to have more often foods (low calorie foods)

Second problem is i m consoling my self that whatever workouts i did is enough. That should be removed from my mind.

But with these obstacles, i m sincerely saying..my health is good because of yoga. Do u know, i ll go to hospital montly once and that could be for any problem. After doing yoga my health is coming back which i ever felt before. As i used to be more sick.

Motivate me in eating less food with good strength and to do sincere workouts.

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thank you Lavanya for the feedback and sharing your experiences.

Yoga - definitely no match for it. It has huge benefits. I am doing cardio to first reduce my weight. Lifestyle does not allow more time for yoga.

But sure, lets share more about eating and reduce weight the healthy way

5. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Keep your blood sugar levels in check

I realised the importance of fruits.

Fruits provide high fiber
    Fruits regulate the blood sugar levels

This helps us to fight the urge to eat sweets

Problem:
    Eating sweets after a meal
    Feel the urge to eat anything and everything sweet

Resolution:
    Eat a banana or an apple half an hour after a meal. - This works for me, as my overall cravings for sweets has gone down.

From the level of finishing off an entire cadbury bar, I have come to the stage of keep looking at it and not eating it.
    When my DH offers me choclate, I can now say 'No, thanks'

6. smartgrl

smartgrl Bronze IL'ite

Nice thread Ptamil ang good job on sweets...

I too have the same problem..love sweets like anything so i will eat but somedays i dont feel so i wont..
    Also if i eat less my mind keeps saying that i haev to eat more and i am hungry..

i also tend to eat a lot on parties as i see there are too many varieties so my mind urges me to taste everythinga nd then go for seconds on which I like,sometimes trying combinations too:spin
    my mind keep telling me that its a party and lots of food around you so enjoy,its horrible:rantlater i regret..

Sometimes i will enter a party will preset mind telling myself not to overeat
    but to my horror some one in the group will tell "oh..this item is so nice,the other one is too good try it" (after trying i will feel it doesnt taste good)this is where i give up..
    temptations from outside also i have ulcers so i cant go for spicy food,but when someone in the crowd says "oh..no its not spicy u can eat it"i will try but it will be spicy for me then i learnt that their spice level is differnt than mine.later will regret for both overeating and eating spicy food.that night i have to take ulcer tablets..

My weakness is falling to temptaions and yeliding to others
    I have to take control on this please help...

7. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Welcome to this thread smartgrl. I liked your signature: ''you can do it...'''

8. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Eating outside/parties

This is one thing which most of us fall prey for...that includes me at the top of the line.

If I am called for dinner, I eat as if I have never eaten food my whole life...:hide:

Problem:
    1. Temptations.
    2. Someone cooking other than us: This is the main factor, according to me

Resolutions:
    1. Eat a bowl full of salad before leaving for the party
    2. To add to it, drink so much buttermilk that your stomach is really full

This way, the mind tells the body not to eat those 'yummy' foods. Sounds silly, but its us who have to lose weight.

Another method:
    Calorie balance: You would know in advance before going for a party or outside.
    Go less on food the previous day and tell yourself, the next day is your treat day.
    Also after coming back from the dinner, drink lots of water.
    Again the next day, go slow on foods (it is also to skip a meal).

This way, the stomach gets some rest to digest the food.

If food eaten=food digested, then no balance left in stomach, so no weight gain.

9. anees

anees Silver IL'ite

Nice thread ptamil. I usually drink 2 or 3 glasses of warm esp, jeera water before meal and this way I wont eat much. Parties also I do the same, drink lot of water .Still I tend to overindulge sometimes:).

Anees

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Re: Portion sizes

ptamil,
    This probably wont harm you. (Well, if you go 'way overboard' yes it may). But eating more veggies prolly wont hurt.