1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Comfort Eating -- How often do we do ?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by indianguy2010, Nov 12, 2010.

1. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

By 'Comfort Eating' I mean the process of eating something, usually our favorite food, at the times, when we do not really feel hungry. Here we enjoy only the taste of the food.........we do not quench our hunger.

Also, the process of combining eating with a process like watching tv, can also be called 'comfort eating'. Here we derive pleasure by combining two different things, one eating, the other watching tv.

How often do we do this 'comfort eating' ? If you do so, how do you control yourself ? Share your experiences and ideas.

2. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Interesting...I do it at times, but never knew such a name existed for it. May be once or twice a month :)

3. indianguy2010

Every one does it. Once / twice a month is okay. Doing it frequently contributes to obesity.

4. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

I do it almost everyday. After dinner we all meet up in the living room and thats where we have all our 'healthy snacks' ie. pista, sing, chana, pop-corn, fruits etc. I do try and control myself. I think the days when I am happy and relaxed I indulge more. Needless to say I am Obese.

5. jazzjazz

jazzjazz Senior IL'ite

Ha, what a nice thread.Even I indulged in this comfort eating all my life.I love reading.So when I get a big fat novel,I sit with a packet of chips or mixture and eat and read to glory...Ah bliss....Neverthless I am very much obese.For the past few months I have consiously avoided this habit and have lost a few kgs.I stopped my library membership to stay on track.Hopefully I will lose weight .When I reach my goal weight which is around 20 kgs less than what I weigh now,I might join library again.Wish me luck...

6. nimmimoorthy

nimmimoorthy Platinum IL'ite

I usually did this after reaching home from office nearly 5.30 pm. Snacks(murukku, samosa, sevai) with a cup of tea along with our favourite TV channel.

now stopped as iam on a weight loss.

7. indianguy2010

Combining the pleasure of reading and eating is also a type of comfort eating, where one continues to eat (even after the stomach gets full), just to continue the pleaure of togetherness of the acts of eating and reading.

A dangerous type of 'comfort eating'. Has to be stopped forthwith. Should never be started again also.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  8. indianguy2010

Hi Nimmi,

break the two acts. First assess your hunger and decide, how much to eat. Sit besides dining table, finish eating it.

Then, go to tv room and watch it.

The comfort eating of eating while watching tv is very pleasurable and dangerous one. Needs to be stopped at once. Good Luck...!

9. nimmimoorthy

nimmimoorthy Platinum IL'ite

S Indian Guy,

I was into this comfort eating from my school days. My mom used to prepare some snacks for me and we will just grab everything.

Later at the time of marriage became consious about this and controlled my comfort eating.

After marriage after joining work again started which is stopped now.

Hope it doesnt come again in my eating style.

Thanks for your suggestion.,

10. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear IG,

A wonderful thread and a wonderful topic.

I used to do lot of comfort eating when I was fat. Would love to gorge on noodles while watching my favorite serial. Even at late hours during the night if I am watching a movie or something I would open my fridge and get a big bowl of pasta or noodles. No wonder I was so fat.

I do comfort eating now too specially when me and my husband watch TV together but as there is no Junk food at home we have nothing but healthy options to binge on. Like fruits or roasted makhanas and now both of us are happy eating this way.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Have a great day ahead.

regards