1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Walking or swimming?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by iswaryadevi, Oct 13, 2010.

1. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

I have been walking in my treadmill in the morning for the past 1 year. Basically I started walking for the following reasons:

1. To maintain shape
    2. Reduce possibilities of diabetes, B.P, cholesterol, thyroid, etc
    3. Mind relaxation

My walking schedule is:

10 minutes warm up at speed 4 kmph
    30 minutes brisk walking at speed 6 kmph
    5 minutes cool down at speed 4 kmph

Recently I learned swimming. Now I want to know which is a better form of exercise - walking or swimming. Which gives more benefits. Or can I do both alternatively. In my 45 minutes walking routine, I lose around 150 calories. For a similar outcome, how much swimming should I do?

Waiting for some advices...

Thanks and Regards,

Admin Note: Here are few interesting article and threads on swimming and its benefits

Swim Away to Good Health
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/88500-swimming-benefits.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/139-swimming-q-and-a.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indians-in-uae/91167-sports-for-weight-loss.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...63997-how-increase-your-familys-physical.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/41469-how-to-drop-dress-size.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013

2. gopinath

gopinath Silver IL'ite

swimming is better!

it not only reduce your calories also keep ur shape fit,improves ur nerve strength,stamina >>>>

Gopinath

3. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Iswarya,

I would suggest to check if swimming suits your skin. I used to regularly swim 3-4 times when I learnt swimming until I got married. .
    My complexion went for a toss and got tanned(i consulted my dermatologist, applied sunscreen, took bath in fresh water before and after swimming and used the best pool in the city). I stopped swimming and it took whole 3 months for me to get back to my normal colour.

Nowadays I swim only once or twice in a month. Its the best exercise we can do but check if it suits your skin before you decide to do it regularly.

4. iswaryadevi

Thanks a lot for dropping in with your comments...
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  5. iswaryadevi

I am swimming daily for the past 2 weeks, only in the evenings...So may be my skin tone has not changed...Thanks for your advice...
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Hi dear,
    swimming is good, especially early morning or evening i used to swim at 6.30am then go to school i was training for my scuba diving, and i really used to enjoy the morning swim it just refreshes you. Another thing is jogging it will really help you.
    love
    alpa:cheers

7. iswaryadevi

Dear alpa,

Thanks for your input. Does swimming also helps us in preventing sugar, B.P, etc? In all the sites, they say walking is the best for the above mentioned conditions. So wanted to know if swimming will also help for the same.

8. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Hi dear,
    yes swimming does help you should combine the 2 my dad for the past 25yrs walks from 6a mto 7am then from 7am to 8am he swims as he is diabetic, heart patient and has BP. For BP you need to have your stress levels down and also have your potassium and sodium tests done as these two play an important role in the BP.
    Swimming is actually good as you are working out yourentire body and swimming aerobics is even better.
    love
    alpa:cheers

9. iswaryadevi

Dear Alpa,

Thank you very much for your reply...Helped me a lot :)

10. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Looks like you must have reached plateau with your walking regime.
    As far my knowledge, any exercise is good for your body and health.
    If I were you, I would try different things each day with combination of cardio and strengthen with varieties of jogging, walking, swimming, weight lifting, bicycle, yoga etc.