1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Weight loss tips that worked for me

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by pman16, Oct 6, 2010.

1. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hello friends,

I lost all my pregnancy weight (from 2nd delivery) of 20lbs and back to my pre-preg shape.Infact, I look much better than I was at that time.

Many women here are looking to lose weight and visit this keep fit forum on a daily basis. Im willing to share the tips n tricks with you so that it might help you too.

Due to time constraint I will update this thread once in a while and try to cover as much as possible. Anyone having a concern can post a query and I shall try to answer it ASAP.

Im a south indian vegetarian and tried to stick to home made food during the entire journey of my weight loss. It took almost an year for me to achieve this with the online help of Shiva in her weight loss thread.

Summary of my tips:

:) Before you begin your weight loss program, train your mind positively. This is very important. Getting tempted to food will happen for sure, so get prepared with all the required information needed to overcome this. For me, health is top priority and I read all kinds of health related stuff to keep me motivated.

:)Diet and exercise are the 2 key elements of weight loss. Try to understand your strength and act accordingly. In my case, Im lazy to diet but can exercise and try many options. So, I decided to join a gym and add spice to my workout sessions.

:)Mere walking or mere dieting does not help a long way. For a person who doesnt exercise at all, walking can be a good option to begin with. If you do not have options, then increase the intensity of walking to see results.

:)Strength training.Many Indian women do not even know about this or have not attempted unless it is too late. It is a misconception that we will look like men (biceps/triceps) and muscle building is only for men. NO!! In simple words, strength training is incorporating/lifting weights in your exercise routine. This will help you to give a lean and toned look.

:)Soups,salads,fruits,nuts : Apart from the regular food which I ate during my weight loss journey, these 4 played a major role in improving my skin complexion also. Winter is the best time to lose weight as you can have many kinds of hot soups.

:)Time management: Many of us say that we do not have time to start a weight loss program or continue it. Pause for a while and give it a serious thought. The lady of the house is a queen (in my opinion) and should look and feel the best to take care of other members. Losing self-confidence can have serious side-effects.So, gear up and plan your schedule. This is not impossible girls.If I could do it (with 2 kids) then you can!

:)Understanding food priorities: Each of us has some weak points related to food.While some of us cannot control sweet cravings, I cannot stop drooling when I even think of chaat items....pani puri,pav bhaji . Try to limit the intake of such foods once in a week or once in 2 weeks max.

:)Patience: You need lots n lots of it. With many other commitments to cater to, expect slow results when it comes to weight loss. After joining a gym, do not be disappointed if you dont look like Aishwarya rai in just a month.

:)Water: Drinking water is very important. I basically forget to drink water and cannot drink more than 1 litre in a day. So, I had a glass of buttermilk alternatively for every glass of water. This reminded me to drink water everytime I had a glass of thin low fat buttermilk.

:)Choose your diet: Im basically a rice eater. Giving up rice totally and switch to rotis or oats is what is impossible to me.People who lost weight might say oats/rotis is the best or only solution to lose weight. Do not panic. Understand your body and its requirements. Eat what suits you. If some baba asks you to drink lauki juice, do not blindly follow it.

I shall add more in further posts.

9 people like this.

2. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi pman, its sweet of you to share the secrets of your wieght lose with us:). I am in the path of toning. And a great way to go:spin

3. SR09

SR09 Bronze IL'ite

Hello Pman16
    Count me in too....I have actualy JUST started to follow Shiva's thread and advice. Her thread is very informative.

4. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Hi good one.

Thanx..
    Planning to start a weight loss programme soon...

thanx for your inputs..

5. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pman,

I peeped in to cheer you up. Awesome work my dear and way to go.

The post is very informative. Thanks for sharing the tips with all of us here.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

6. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Dear pman,
    I hope u remember me....we met in Shiva's weight loss mission long time back. I gained weight when on vacation for 2 months. But after coming to Shiva's page got again motivated.

So now again i started dieting and regularly exercising for 45 mins. Your photos do speak of the hard work you have put. Congrats!!

Pman i would like you to suggest methods on how to maintain the ideal weight we achieve after this long fight with the fats. Take your own time to jot down some points if possible.

You are doing a great work dear.

Love,
    Parvathi.

7. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Pman,

Loads & loads of thanks for starting this thread. You very well know me by now.

I do not have any problems in maintaing my diet and occassionally take a break by having rice or dahlia. But the main problem is with my schedule and no exercise...I am just going crazy about that. If you could share some easy south indian food recipes or ideas which saves my cooking time, it would be highly appreciated.

8. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

You have given wonderfull explanation which helps every one. Thanks for sharing such an experienced usefull thing.

What type of nuts can be taken? Can you please suggest me as i m also into weight loss program.

9. Savvyheal

Savvyheal Gold IL'ite

Dear Pman,
    A very wonderful post. Thanks a lot!

Love Thanks Divine,
    Savvyheal

10. mrs

mrs Bronze IL'ite

Dear Pman,

Thank you for the tips,that too coming from a person who has underwent the weight loss process herself,adds inspiration as well. Those are very sensible and practical tips. From the day you joined shiva's thread I have been a regular reader of all your posts and has been implementing some of your tips as well, like preparing cucumber and tomato salad first thing in the morning and munching on it. It really needs intense determination to go through this process esp with two kids to take care of. Now even your face looks toned. wishing you all the best.

Love,
    mrs